It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Google Pedometer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:20 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I know there are some avid walkers/runners/bikers who visit these boards, so I thought I'd share a pretty fucking cool website: google maps pedometer.

It's a little application that lets you lay down a footpath, then calculates the mileage for you (in km or miles). You can switch between the standard map view and the satellite photo view, which is nice if you're mapping out a trail that doesn't exactly follow city streets.

I used to have to borrow my buddy's bike/cyclometer to get the mileages on my running routes, but no longer! Actually, I heard about a portable combination GPS unit and heart-rate monitor that gives you real-time updates of your position, instantaneous pace, and average pace over the course of your run. Pretty cool gadget, but it's kind of bulky and doesn't work too well in cloudy conditions. I guess this is the next best thing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Google Pedometer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:57 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Wow that's really awesome, thanks for posting that. Will come in handy with biking for me. :) I have a pedometer, but it sucks. (I also have a Hello Kitty bell on my bike, which does not suck! :D)

I'd love (but wouldn't want to pay tons for) a device which calculates incline, and also moniters heart rate during the route. It would be nice to map out a good route that alternates various inclines and does a good cardio with cool down multiple times along the route. Especially since where I live, there's varying inclines (from pretty damn steep, to a slow but steady push). I try to head north (up the incline) on my way out, and south on the way back when I'm more tired, with some east-west (much less of an incline) inbetween.

Our bike lanes suck in some places, and there's been a few fatalities (and serious injuries) at a few intersections that I avoid at all costs. That would be another cool beans tool on Google, if it tracked accident locations. An intersection with a high accident rate might be one to avoid. Or a spot with a blind alley...another thing to avoid. Which is impossible when you don't know the area well.

Anyhoo...woot thanks for posting it. I'll be using it for sure. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:58 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Oh wow, this will come in handy now that I'm going to start jogging. :ogre: <--- wtf at the smilies? lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:28 AM 

You guys just now found this? This site has been famous for a few years now. It's actually incorporated into a lot of workout sites I know of.

http://www.buckeyeoutdoors.com

This is a damn good robust website for tracking workouts, food, designing routes and reusing them, tracking how far you have run in your current shoes or have biked on your tires and all sorts of other things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:57 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
As some should probably respond..."But Eckert, you triathlon maniac. It doesn't track how far it is from the couch to the fridge to the shitter. How will I know how far I have gone!!!!..."

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:59 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Xkhanx wrote:
As some should probably respond..."But Eckert, you triathlon maniac. It doesn't track how far it is from the couch to the fridge to the shitter. How will I know how far I have gone!!!!..."

That would be me most days. :lol: I still need to map out my biking route, I'm betting it's probably about half the distance I *think* it is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
At a glance, I thought this was about some Harry Potter sexwatch website that had a clock countdown, thus PedoMeter.

Sad thing is, I wouldn't put it past Google to implement that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:18 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Im all for Google Pedometer.

Google Pedophile? Not so much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:42 PM 

Quote:
I still need to map out my biking route, I'm betting it's probably about half the distance I *think* it is.

Get a cyclometer. Should you veer off to get an ice cream you can find out how much farther you biked to get that delicious treat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:50 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Eckertsyrjay wrote:
Quote:
I still need to map out my biking route, I'm betting it's probably about half the distance I *think* it is.

Get a cyclometer. Should you veer off to get an ice cream you can find out how much farther you biked to get that delicious treat.

I'm much more a coffee whore, but I'd be too lazy to bike all the way to Starbucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:46 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

So this application will inform me how far it is to the nearest pedo? That's some infoz I don't need, thx.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:29 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

http://mapsexoffenders.com/ - the google pedophile list ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:26 PM 
Noob
Noob

Thanks a ton for this! Will most definitely help on bike rides around town, just to see what kind of mileage I put on my bike. Sure wish I could find some decent trails around Mid-Michigan though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:53 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Okay once I actually RTFM (you have to double click)...its great. Apparently I biked about seven miles tonight. Wouldve gone farther but I met a friend for a chinese food and badly whacked my eyeball with my handlebars putting my bike in his car, ow!

Offline Profile