It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is a diety?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:07 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Quote:
The problem is with alternative explanations. The book could have been blown open by the wind, OR opened by me. Both are, in this instance, completely valid explanations(though less evidence of me opening it). Despite lack of evidence, there is a possibility I opened it. It remains untestable, and even though I really did do it, for all intents and purposes I still don't exist?

ENTITY TESTABLE: TRUE != TEST INFALLIBLE

Let's go about this another way. If I make a claim that can be proven OR disproven, it is testable. The accuracy of the test depends on the quality and existence of evidence, but the fact that the claim can be tested does not change.

In your example, a book was opened while I slept. I chose to make the claim that you did it, by stating, "Venen opened a book." This claim is testable, because I can devise logical tests to prove or disprove the event. Now, since you've conveniently deleted the laws of physics as they apply to you, I will never be able to PROVE my claim, but I can continue to devise tests. After some time, I may choose to give up my claim, because I do not have the resources to work around your physics coup, but the claim remains testable. Testable, and as of yet unproven. Sagan uses this category for the Invisible Dragon.

By stating X cannot be tested, you have stated that X has cannot influence a realm. Lack of influence = irrelevance, and an entity irrelevant to a realm does not exist within it.

Let's move to your claim that God can choose to work through people, disguising his influence. We assume certain things here, such as, God exists, God has a desire to interact with the world, God does not want to be seen to interact with the world, etc.

How do we test this claim? Simple - we use the claim itself. If you don't mind, I'll rephrase it to "God works through humanity." This is testable. You can ask all five questions of this claim, and devise a test. Please note that my answers are just the first that spring to mind. Like all such questions, there can be many testable answers.

"How does God work through humanity?" "Invisible brain waves that convince humans that it was their own idea." We currently cannot show evidence for this test, and so we move on.

"Why does God work through humanity?" "Because he does not want to be seen to directly influence the world." Once again, we cannot show evidence for this test - although there was a rather amusing series of short stories where God was killed because Man learned how to destroy the concept of faith by proving God existed. I believe Douglas Adams referenced it in his novels as well.

"What does God work through humanity?" "Ideas, morals, choices, and so forth." Again, we do not currently have the technology to show whether an idea is generated within one's psyche or from without, so this test remains unproven.

"When does God work through humanity?" "During times of crisis." This claim could be proven, if we can show through a large enough survey that faithful men survive crises better than unfaithful men, for example. Intimately testable.

"Where does God work through humanity?" "Everywhere." This claim is a strange example of a testable circumstance, in that it is more of a checksum to keep the other tests in line - it is easier to develop a test to disprove this claim than it is to develop one to prove it. First, prove that God works through humanity, then, test it for location. =)

Do we have ANY evidence for ANY of the tests above of the claim that God works through humanity? No. This is where the claims of irrelevancy enter. A God that cannot be seen to influence the realm is declared to not be influencing the realm. Please note, there are two ways to read the "cannot" - it is impossible to ever see any influence from God in the realm by some strange design, or we currently do not have the ability to accurately prove or disprove. The former is typically argued by those who favor Occam's razor. The latter is given some weight by Sagan, as seen in the Invisible Dragon story.

Sagan states that even here, such claims may be too early. "Once again," he says, "the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion."

It is said to be impossible to prove a negative, for example, "God does not exist." Sure, it can still be tested, but all answers will come back inconclusive. Therefore, a better claim would be to state "The universe can exist without the influence of a God", as it is both testable and (theoretically, with the right methods) provable.

To quote Mr. Gould, conveniently from Tarot's sig, "In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' "

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:37 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

DoctorX:

Quote:
THEN you have do explain why it did not have an impact on other things, like childhood cancer and the fact Celine Dion has a career.

Why would I need to explain that if I already concede that he may not be all-powerful/all-knowing? It's pretty much... already explained.

Quote:
It then becomes as Irrelevant as, say, a butterfly sneezing in Megiddo [Stop that.--Ed.] to you or I.

At this point I'd simply ask what your version of the definition of irrelevant is. Obviously he's doing something relevant in the above given case.
In the case where he affects the world via undetectable means, such as through human actions, how does that compare to something insignificant?

Quote:
It is a broad definition that can cover many degrees of failure.

It can be, certainly. In this case I'm assuming we're extending it to the umpth degree of "anything except all-powerful/all-knowing". If I called a fellow worker incompetent, I'd be speaking in comparison to your average worker or human.

Incompetent seems to indicate lacking in some way from the norm. Is it supposed to be the norm for all gods to be all-powerful/all-knowing? /shrug, open to interpretation.

Quote:
But Incompetent! Why did he fail to save "Lil Suzie?" Et cetera. The "answer" to that can be many things under the rubric of Evil, Incompetent, Irrelevant, and/or Some Combination of those. What I mean is if he wants "Lil Suzie" to die in an oven then he becomes Evil. If you remove Evil, then you are left with realizing he is unable to save such for reasons of either/and the other two. As you agree above, pray all you want to it, it will not help.

As above, although you threw in a "pray all you want, it will not help". I wouldn't jump to that conclusion on the sole basis that he lacks omnipotence.

Quote:
Anyways, awhile ago on ANOTHER BOARD [Boo! Hiss!--Ed.] there was this guy who would scream "Godwin" in a discussion on Nazi Germany!!!

Good stuff =p

Syuni:

Quote:
ENTITY TESTABLE: TRUE != TEST INFALLIBLE

Let's go about this another way. If I make a claim that can be proven OR disproven, it is testable. The accuracy of the test depends on the quality and existence of evidence, but the fact that the claim can be tested does not change.

In your example, a book was opened while I slept. I chose to make the claim that you did it, by stating, "Venen opened a book." This claim is testable, because I can devise logical tests to prove or disprove the event. Now, since you've conveniently deleted the laws of physics as they apply to you, I will never be able to PROVE my claim, but I can continue to devise tests. After some time, I may choose to give up my claim, because I do not have the resources to work around your physics coup, but the claim remains testable. Testable, and as of yet unproven. Sagan uses this category for the Invisible Dragon.

What I meant by untestable is that, in this hypothetical scenario, no evidence is left behind at all. So I mean... yea, you could test, but it wouldn't do a shred of good - you might as well not be testing. The test would be fallible to the point of being completely moot. Doesn't even have to be an incorporeal god as an example, instead every time a test is conducted it's thrown out as a negative at his will. Something still happened, there's just no evidence for it and never will be.

Quote:
By stating X cannot be tested, you have stated that X has cannot influence a realm. Lack of influence = irrelevance, and an entity irrelevant to a realm does not exist within it.

My opening of your book had an influence, but was equally or more easily attributable to the wind flapping it open.

Quote:
"When does God work through humanity?" "During times of crisis." This claim could be proven, if we can show through a large enough survey that faithful men survive crises better than unfaithful men, for example. Intimately testable.

This assumes we have a god who favors faithfulness over those without faith. Untestable in that scenario.

Though even if that was the case, your tests could again be thrown out each time by such a god to skew the results. As an example, each time you "test" a faithful person God changes history in some way to make your results inaccurate.

Also, it could be any time, not just during times of crisis.

Quote:
"Where does God work through humanity?" "Everywhere." This claim is a strange example of a testable circumstance, in that it is more of a checksum to keep the other tests in line - it is easier to develop a test to disprove this claim than it is to develop one to prove it. First, prove that God works through humanity, then, test it for location. =)

The key there being we first need to know if God is working through humanity. We can't know if he's working everywhere if we can't even tell when a human is being influenced by him. Additionally, why would it matter where he works his magic? Say it's just in China. I don't see a requirement for it needing to be everywhere in order for such an entity to exist.

Quote:
Do we have ANY evidence for ANY of the tests above of the claim that God works through humanity? No. This is where the claims of irrelevancy enter. A God that cannot be seen to influence the realm is declared to not be influencing the realm. Please note, there are two ways to read the "cannot" - it is impossible to ever see any influence from God in the realm by some strange design, or we currently do not have the ability to accurately prove or disprove. The former is typically argued by those who favor Occam's razor. The latter is given some weight by Sagan, as seen in the Invisible Dragon story.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the word "influence" here, or misunderstanding what you're meaning by it... but i'm going by:

"the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others"

Being seen or not does not affect his ability to produce effects or influence human actions or the world. Why would it?

Quote:
It is said to be impossible to prove a negative, for example, "God does not exist." Sure, it can still be tested, but all answers will come back inconclusive. Therefore, a better claim would be to state "The universe can exist without the influence of a God", as it is both testable and (theoretically, with the right methods) provable.

Considering the Big Bang theory and things like the precise gravitational constant and other constants in the universe that ended up making life possible, on top of the fact that we haven't explored and we don't fully understand a number of natural components about our universe - I'd say it's a bit early to tell. Too much is left unexplained to begin jumping to conclusions in this respect. If God created the universe for example, he may well be continuing to sustain it in a way that is not apparent to us.

I'd still say Sagan seems a bit conflicted in his statements. To *tentatively reject* a hypothesis is different than putting it on hold until further facts present themselves. To reject something is to say that it is false, to say it seems unlikely is to say that we need more evidence before we can go with it as something concrete.

As you said, you can't prove a negative. To reject it outright as false suggests that it's proven.

Looking at it from a critical perspective, you could easily say: "A potential explanation that lacks evidence or credentials." But to say it's false or reject it even as a potential is a leap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:28 AM 

Venen wrote:
Moi wrote:
THEN you have do explain why it did not have an impact on other things, like childhood cancer and the fact Celine Dion has a career.

Why would I need to explain that if I already concede that he may not be all-powerful/all-knowing? It's pretty much... already explained.

Then he degenerates right to one of the three choices discussed above. Pray all you want; Celine is opening tonight in Vegas. . . .

Quote:
At this point I'd simply ask what your version of the definition of irrelevant is.

Depends on what "is" is [Stop that!--Ed.] . . . right . . . okay, better than "depends," yes? Anyways, "irrelevant" or Irrelevant as in not relevant to your life. Try as much as you want; there will be no intervention. Once "you" claim some intervention, you then have to explain why no intervention in cases of Unjustified Suffering [As narrated by William Shatner.--Ed.].

Quote:
Obviously he's doing something relevant in the above given case.

Since the Unjustified Suffering was not alleviated, then "something" was not done. So as far as the child is concerned, at best the deity is Irrelevant. Now, why would a deity that can be relevant to some not be for a child?

Quote:
If I called a fellow worker incompetent, I'd be speaking in comparison to your average worker or human.

Understood, though one could also say most of us would be "incompetent" as airline pilots if we have never flown a plane. Does not me was are "stupid;" we just cannot get the job done. That is why I would disagree with "lacking in some way from the norm."

Quote:
As above, although you threw in a "pray all you want, it will not help". I wouldn't jump to that conclusion on the sole basis that he lacks omnipotence.

He did not help the child.

Quote:
Good stuff =p

Love that pickie. Unfortunately, it received a lot of use on a forum where a professional Holocaust Denier infested. Now THERE is pathology. Needless to write, he disagreed with my Mengele example. . . .

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:29 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
So I mean... yea, you could test, but it wouldn't do a shred of good - you might as well not be testing. The test would be fallible to the point of being completely moot.
(snip)
My opening of your book had an influence, but was equally or more easily attributable to the wind flapping it open.
(snip)
Being seen or not does not affect his ability to produce effects or influence human actions or the world. Why would it?

I'm simply talking about whether or not a claim is testable. There was a change, therefore it's testable. It's that simple. I don't care if it's provable, just testable.

Most claims about God are testable. Most, likewise, are not provable. This leads to the invisible dragon argument. Those with such a well-stocked garage are free to discuss the nature of their invisible dragon, but until those of us who do not even have a carport can see more tangible evidence, we're free to withhold acceptance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:34 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Venen wrote:
Good read Tarot, thanks, but I don't quite buy it.

Quote:
Imagine that, despite none of the tests being successful, you wish to be scrupulously open-minded. So you don't outright reject the notion that there's a fire-breathing dragon in my garage. You merely put it on hold. Present evidence is strongly against it, but if a new body of data emerge you're prepared to examine it and see if it convinces you.

He goes with the above quote, then after a couple more examples he goes on to say:

Quote:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion.

He says "once again", as if that was the exact same thing he said. But it's not. Putting it on hold and not "outright rejecting" the notion is a bit different than rejecting the hypothesis altogether. After reading it several times I really don't see how he came to the conclusion that the hypothesis should be rejected outright.

Syuni:

Quote:
An open book is testable. It is an alteration. Let's review the physical evidence for a moment.

Did you leave epithelials? Did you compress the carpeting during your journey? A fingerprint on the doorknob? Altered the O2 content in the room? Did your sweat stain a page? Was there a crystalline structure change as result of the heat of your touch? Could a wind strong enough to open a book be focused in this enclosed space as to alter no other object? And so on, and so forth.

Even if there is NO physical evidence of your journey, the fact that the book is now open -is- an external and testable event. This is where testable events and evidence diverge.

We're assuming here that I found a way to leave no physical evidence. Maybe I floated(or smoothed the carpet), wore gloves, etc etc.

The problem with the book being open is that there's no way to know HOW it opened, ESPECIALLY if there's an easy alternative explanation. IF a god somehow does his stuff via the actions of humans, HOW would that be testable assuming he did it through a stealthy undetectable means? He obviously left something changed, but that can easily be explained away by the human merely performing an action on his/her own will.

The problem is with alternative explanations. The book could have been blown open by the wind, OR opened by me. Both are, in this instance, completely valid explanations(though less evidence of me opening it). Despite lack of evidence, there is a possibility I opened it. It remains untestable, and even though I really did do it, for all intents and purposes I still don't exist?

I like how venen doesn't buy the invisible dragon arguement, and then proceeds to invalidate all tests in the same manner given in the arguement. I'll post it here so everyone doesn't have to google it. How's that unicorn by the way Venen? :D

The Dragon In My Garage
by Carl Sagan
"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin) I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle -- but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick." And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so. The only thing you've really learned from my insistence that there's a dragon in my garage is that something funny is going on inside my head. You'd wonder, if no physical tests apply, what convinced me. The possibility that it was a dream or a hallucination would certainly enter your mind. But then, why am I taking it so seriously? Maybe I need help. At the least, maybe I've seriously underestimated human fallibility. Imagine that, despite none of the tests being successful, you wish to be scrupulously open-minded. So you don't outright reject the notion that there's a fire-breathing dragon in my garage. You merely put it on hold. Present evidence is strongly against it, but if a new body of data emerge you're prepared to examine it and see if it convinces you. Surely it's unfair of me to be offended at not being believed; or to criticize you for being stodgy and unimaginative -- merely because you rendered the Scottish verdict of "not proved."

Imagine that things had gone otherwise. The dragon is invisible, all right, but footprints are being made in the flour as you watch. Your infrared detector reads off-scale. The spray paint reveals a jagged crest bobbing in the air before you. No matter how skeptical you might have been about the existence of dragons -- to say nothing about invisible ones -- you must now acknowledge that there's something here, and that in a preliminary way it's consistent with an invisible, fire-breathing dragon.

Now another scenario: Suppose it's not just me. Suppose that several people of your acquaintance, including people who you're pretty sure don't know each other, all tell you that they have dragons in their garages -- but in every case the evidence is maddeningly elusive. All of us admit we're disturbed at being gripped by so odd a conviction so ill-supported by the physical evidence. None of us is a lunatic. We speculate about what it would mean if invisible dragons were really hiding out in garages all over the world, with us humans just catching on. I'd rather it not be true, I tell you. But maybe all those ancient European and Chinese myths about dragons weren't myths at all.

Gratifyingly, some dragon-size footprints in the flour are now reported. But they're never made when a skeptic is looking. An alternative explanation presents itself. On close examination it seems clear that the footprints could have been faked. Another dragon enthusiast shows up with a burnt finger and attributes it to a rare physical manifestation of the dragon's fiery breath. But again, other possibilities exist. We understand that there are other ways to burn fingers besides the breath of invisible dragons. Such "evidence" -- no matter how important the dragon advocates consider it -- is far from compelling. Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:09 PM 

Essentially, to keep the dragon, you have to redefine him so drastically that it can no longer be a dragon.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:25 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Quote:
Depends on what "is" is [Stop that!--Ed.] . . . right . . . okay, better than "depends," yes? Anyways, "irrelevant" or Irrelevant as in not relevant to your life. Try as much as you want; there will be no intervention. Once "you" claim some intervention, you then have to explain why no intervention in cases of Unjustified Suffering [As narrated by William Shatner.--Ed.].
Assuming the deity is not omnipotent, that explanation can be as simple as "It didn't know" or "It didn't have the power." Assuming that the deity is omnipotent, the explanation could be "It serves a greater good." Whether or not that makes the deity "evil" is entirely personal opinion.

Also, an entity does not have to be relevant 100 percent of the time to a person in order to be not be irrelevant. Your mother for example. If you were to be assaulted as a child and your mother was not there to protect you, does that make her irrelevant? No, she is relevant in other aspects of your life. The same can apply to a deity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:05 PM 

Devyn wrote:
Assuming the deity is not omnipotent, that explanation can be as simple as "It didn't know"

Incompetent[/color and/or [color=blue]Irrelevant.

Quote:
. . .or "It didn't have the power."

Incompetent[/color and/or [color=blue]Irrelevant.

Quote:
Assuming that the deity is omnipotent, the explanation could be "It serves a greater good."

Incompetent[/color and/or [color=blue]Evil.

Quote:
Whether or not that makes the deity "evil" is entirely personal opinion.

What part of wanting and allowing a child to slowly die of paralysis until she drowns in her own secretions--fully conscious and feeling every pain--is not Evil?

Quote:
Also, an entity does not have to be relevant 100 percent of the time to a person in order to be not be irrelevant.

Unfortunately he does.

Quote:
Your mother for example. If you were to be assaulted as a child and your mother was not there to protect you, does that make her irrelevant?

As a deity?

Yes.

--J. "Don't Blame Us if We Ever Doubted Ya!" D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:07 PM 

[Though his ability to handle simple codes is Incompetent.--Ed.]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:37 PM 
Do you smell that?

What is incompetent is your dad not wearing a condom.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:46 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
ShareefRahim wrote:
What is incompetent is your dad not wearing a condom.

I request Reef's post be moved to the "Help! My crazy bitch ex is pregnant!" thread, as it's relevant to that discussion.

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:05 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Quote:
What part of wanting and allowing a child to slowly die of paralysis until she drowns in her own secretions--fully conscious and feeling every pain--is not Evil?

We've gone over this before. Evil is completely subjective. Just because you value human life does not mean that each and every entity should do the same. Unless you are able to finally somehow put to text your reasoning as to why this is not so, this is a dead issue.

Quote:
Unfortunately he does.

Quote:
As a deity?
Yes.
There is relevance to a specific matter (rescuing a child from drowning would make you relevant to that situation), and there is overall relevance (your mother is relevant to your life, but maybe not every moment of your life). Who says that a deity must be relevant to every aspect of your life? Is that one of the arbitrary requirements that you have made for a deity to be considered a deity (because that is the whole point of this thread after all). I would think that aiding in your creation makes it relevant (assuming that it had anything to do with it).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:29 AM 

Quote:
Then he degenerates right to one of the three choices discussed above. Pray all you want; Celine is opening tonight in Vegas. . . .

And with your suggested definition of incompetent being "anything except omni", I would agree that this works... WITH a potential caveat - Fribur's argument of "What is Evil?". Who decides what is evil? You? Me?

I think that pretty much applies to all of your replies, since it's hinging on the definition of incompetent/evil(and maybe irrelevant as well).

Syuni:

Quote:
I'm simply talking about whether or not a claim is testable. There was a change, therefore it's testable. It's that simple. I don't care if it's provable, just testable.

Most claims about God are testable. Most, likewise, are not provable. This leads to the invisible dragon argument. Those with such a well-stocked garage are free to discuss the nature of their invisible dragon, but until those of us who do not even have a carport can see more tangible evidence, we're free to withhold acceptance.

From Wiki:

"Testability, a property applying to an empirical hypothesis, involves two components: (1) the logical property that is variously described as contingency, defeasibility, or falsifiability, which means that counterexamples to the hypothesis are logically possible, and (2) the practical feasibility of observing a reproducible series of such counterexamples if they do exist. In short, a hypothesis is testable if there is some real hope of deciding whether it is true or false of real experience. Upon this property of its constituent hypotheses rests the ability to decide whether a theory can be confirmed or falsified by the data of actual experience."

Bolded relevant portion.

The first part might since you can come up with counterexamples. But consider that God creates these other potential logical explanations as illusions. Other potential explanations appear to exist, but are merely figments of our imagination and those explanations are only logical in this particular context, but not in reality. If those explanations don't actually exist as logical explanations in reality, then there are no actual counterexamples.

That being said, we are still talking about "likelihood" any way you cut it. When there is no evidence one way or the other, it's pretty hard to test either logically or physically.

Junzo:

Quote:
I like how venen doesn't buy the invisible dragon arguement, and then proceeds to invalidate all tests in the same manner given in the arguement. I'll post it here so everyone doesn't have to google it. How's that unicorn by the way Venen?

Doing quite well, thanks! As I recall it was a pretty interesting argument. The main jist of it being - Does the unicorn exist? No way of knowing one way or the other, and we can't rule it out unless we have proof. Being the enthusiast in science you seem to be, I'm sure you'll agree!

More accurately though, it's that I don't buy a *portion* of what he said, that being the apparent contradiction between tentatively putting the hypothesis on hold until further evidence(meaning no leanings one way or the other), and rejecting it tentatively. Sagan himself agrees you can't rule it out, so why wouldn't I invalidate those same tests? =)

Next time you try to throw a jab, you might want to try and add more than one sentence to your obviously thought-out opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:40 AM 

Oops, skipped over Devyn's post, this is important:

Quote:

And invalidates the argument of "God is either irrelevant, incompetent, evil, or some combination of the two". Who gets to define evil? As noted, completely subjective. There are no actual moral truths, it just depends on what we place value on.

It's like having a conversation with a murderer completely devoid of morality. At some point you get to "It is wrong because you have taken an innocent life" and the murderer asks "Why is that wrong? What specifically about it is wrong?". The only response you can feasibly come up with is "just cuz it's wrong". Most of place value on life, but just because we do does not make it a moral absolute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:00 AM 

Devyn wrote:
We've gone over this before. Evil is completely subjective.

Save it is not.

Else you would have justified the Unjust Suffering long ago.

Meanwhile, you may call "evil" whatever you want--you can call it "Fred" if you like--it still remains evil.

Quote:
. . . does not mean that each and every entity should do the same.

If it does not wish to be recognized as Evil, then it better.

But go ahead . . . justify the Unjust Suffering. Until you do, it is, indeed, a "dead issue."

Quote:
There is relevance to a specific matter (rescuing a child from drowning would make you relevant to that situation), . . .

I am not a deity.

Despite all appearances.

Which renders your objection irrelevant to a deity.

In the rain.

Quote:
Who says that a deity must be relevant to every aspect of your life?

To be Relevant it must be Relevant.

It proves Irrelevant at best to a child suffering the Unjust Suffering [On Extended DVD.--Ed.], but you expect it to be relevant to you?

Are you "special?" You expect others to consider such Relevant when it is not to them or, frankly, anyone else?

Simply what happens when belief meets reality.

Nothing complicated.

Venen wrote:
And invalidates the argument of "God is either irrelevant, incompetent, evil, or some combination of the two".

Save that it does not; it rather reaffirms it.

Quote:
Who gets to define evil?

We all do. Show me where the cases of Unjust Suffering previously discussed become Just in reality or else you are stuck with the recognition.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:09 AM 

Quote:
We all do. Show me where the cases of Unjust Suffering previously discussed become Just in reality or else you are stuck with the recognition.

Define just.

What is unjust about suffering? The very term "unjust suffering" automatically assumes that any kind of suffering is unjust. You first need to define an instance of unjust suffering, then you need to explain why that particular suffering is unjust.

You said we all do. What makes a person who thinks a child suffering is good and just less correct about what evil is than you?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:13 AM 

Correction: "The very term "unjust suffering" automatically assumes that certain kinds of suffering is unjust."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:10 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Venen, you are completely missing the point. He will never understand certain things because he chooses not to. If they don't fit with his point they don't exist. Much like making Nicole Kidman 15 years younger and actually good looking again, some things just can't be done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
A couple of thoughts (these are just questions I have floating around):

1) What if THIS WORLD is hell, and death is the only way out of it? Would that make a murderer a instrument of salvation?

2) If an item is not testable does that mean it does not exist or does it mean that we don't yet have the correct means to test it and therefore can not be dismissed totally? Bringing a sports reference to R&R (woot sports!): In MLB they do not have a test for HGH, we suspect that a number of players are using the substance, yet there is not a test that MLB has to prove that those players are using the substance. Is MLB correct to say that there is not an HGH problem because they can not test it or are the people that suspect there is a problem correct because of the surrounding evidence?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:29 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
In short, a hypothesis is testable if there is some real hope of deciding whether it is true or false of real experience. Upon this property of its constituent hypotheses rests the ability to decide whether a theory can be confirmed or falsified by the data of actual experience."

Your pre-knowledge of the results of the tests do not make the tests immaterial. On the contrary, the tests will eventually render the hypothesis immaterial - an invisible dragon in the garage cannot be shown to exist with our current tests. The tests, thus, are doing exactly what they should, disproving an impossibility.

That said, I don't think we're going to be convincing each other of the rightness of our claim any time soon. Let's let krby and JD have the forum for now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:12 AM 

boo! I am on the LINES list so he won't respond.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:29 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:03 PM 

Venen wrote:
Define just.

Not drowning in your secretions as a child.

Quote:
You first need to define an instance of unjust suffering, then you need to explain why that particular suffering is unjust.

Already did, numerous times, particularly in the Hell thread. Pick one. Just step over the Crying Children. . . .

Quote:
What makes a person who thinks a child suffering is good and just less correct about what evil is than you?

Res ipsa loquitur.

You are trying to get out of the implications of evil by redefining it. You can call it "Throatwarbler-Mangrove" all you want, but it is still the same thing.

Quote:
Correction: "The very term "unjust suffering" automatically assumes that certain kinds of suffering is unjust."

Just as "wet" assumes certain kinds of things are wet.

But, by all means, Justify the Unjust Suffering. For some reason, after all of this time, you have not.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:17 PM 

See he totally ignored my post. I will need somone that is not on his lines list to fully quote my questions for him to see them

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:26 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

krby71 wrote:

1) What if THIS WORLD is hell, and death is the only way out of it? Would that make a murderer a instrument of salvation?

2) If an item is not testable does that mean it does not exist or does it mean that we don't yet have the correct means to test it and therefore can not be dismissed totally? Bringing a sports reference to R&R (woot sports!): In MLB they do not have a test for HGH, we suspect that a number of players are using the substance, yet there is not a test that MLB has to prove that those players are using the substance. Is MLB correct to say that there is not an HGH problem because they can not test it or are the people that suspect there is a problem correct because of the surrounding evidence?

There you go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:59 PM 

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:40 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Jateki wrote:
krby71 wrote:

Treating them as serious questions, hopefully they are...but either way they are interesting.

Maybe. It depends. Howso? Well, there are people who actually *do* believe that (more or less), but they're not really viewed as 'instruments of salvation'. There is the concept in many cultures when faced with morality questions (especially in war) 'Kill them all, God will know his own', or the more bastardized 'Kill them all, let God sort them out'.

However let's look at a 'real life' instance of this: Andrea Yates. She believes (you may not agree that she really believed it, but let's set aside those arguments for another day) when she murders her children that doing so is the only way to 'save' them. She believes that because she is a 'bad mother' that her children will go to hell. She believes that killing them ensures they will *not* go to hell, but instead will go to heaven, which is a very nice place they'll spend all eternity in, versus a very horrible place they'd spend all eternity in.

By her psychotic logic, what she did was 'good'. However, in her statements to the police, she also knew what she did was 'wrong'.

Let's use another real life example. There was a woman in the Polish ghettos who had care of several children (not her own, but she was related to them). When the Nazis came to liquidate the ghetto, she took a vial of poison from around her neck. She knew that the children would be murdered (horribly killed) by the Nazis. She told the person who warned her they were coming that they would not have her, and they would not have her children. She had done 'drills' before with the children (with non-poison) so that when the time came they would not be frightened and they would obey.

She poisoned all of the children, and herself. The Nazis liquidated that ghetto, and while some children may have survived it (I don't believe any did in that ghetto, it was not the Warsaw ghetto) damn few would have...again if any.

Most people would say that poisoning children is wrong. Even in that instance, it's a 'wrong' but it's a far lesser evil. The motivations are clearly not evil. She is killing them to spare them far worse. Whether or not it's the 'best' choice, given that one at the time cannot know if there is even a chance for survival (even a low chance is a chance) is debatable. There are people who would choose to act differently. As for myself, I hope I'd have the courage to do as she did, I think it was the 'best' choice out of horrible horrific choices.

You can read about that woman in Maus. One of the children killed was the author's brother.

So we're back to 'maybe'. It depends on information, in one respect. Is it a fact? Could the person be wrong? Is there a chance that they're wrong? Would the "salvation" come about in time anyway? (If it's possible that we're wrong, and if we will all die eventually, is it not better to not terminate people's lives rather than risk mistake?)

There's a philosophical question that I always have had an issue with. It involves a train and a switch to make it change tracks.

The train is coming, it cannot be stopped in time. There are 2 tracks available. One leads to a bridge which is 'out' (the train will derail and will fall into a chasm), the other leads to an infant playing on the tracks. It is impossible to save the infant, the infant will be killed.

You only have enough time to move the switch to decide which track the train will go down (broken bridge, or over baby). What do you do? Then the question further evolves to: if you choose the baby, what if instead it was someone you loved on the tracks who couldn't get off in time (pretend they're stuck even if you want). Does that change your choice?

The "correct" moral answer was presented as: The only 'moral' answer is to do nothing. If you do not interject yourself into the problem, then you have no moral liability for the outcome. The train will go where it would have anyway, and you have no liability (morally).

I said then, I say now, that answer is BULLSHIT. Not choosing IS A CHOICE. My logic professor and I became friends outside of school, and we talked over this problem, she wasn't familiar with it, but she agreed with me. That mollified me somewhat. I've always hated this question.

But the question speaks to what you're asking, and that is, in this scenario is there a 'right' choice? Yes, and no. There are logical choices for a variety of reasons. The most logical choice is to save as many people as you can. You can tweak the question around to "change values". Specifically: Make the people on the train 'less valuable' (prisoners perhaps, or other people you wouldn't value much). Make the single person 'more valuable' (your mom, your child, your lover, etc.). But at the end of the day, it's still a choice of lesser evils. You pick the 'most valuable' to save, and sacrifice the 'lesser valuable'.

If it's a train full of monkeys, it's easy. Monkeys > a person. If it's a dog on the track (even your beloved pet) again ...rather easy. Pet < train full of people. As the values start to become more equal to you, the choice becomes more difficult.

Then there's sociological and biological aspects of 'Sophie's Choice' as it were. This is something Stephen Pinker gets into in his book 'How the Mind Works' when he discusses the why and how of parents forced to sacrifice one child to save another. You save the child with the best chance of survival, which almost always means the older child. It's not a moralistic question in as much as it's a 'values' question: which is the more valuable to save? And how we have biological cues which push us towards one choice or another. In times of famine, infants are sacrificed *always* before older children *unless* there's a gender bias in the culture. A boy infant might be saved over a girl child if the value of a boy is that much higher than a female child.

But it's more a mathematical 'values' question than it is anything else, in a very odd way. We (humans) don't sit down with pen and paper and coldly make the choice. We even come up with a variety of reasons to justify our choices. But if you strip that away and look at the choices that do get made, the commonality is the more valued is chosen over the less valued, and that value can be demonstrated in real terms (not emotionalism).

So back to your question:

1) Is it provable?

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the person believes absolutely it's factual. That life is in reality hell, and the escape from it is death. Let's even toss in that a diety is behind it all, and wants this person to kill as their 'instrument'.

2) Is it demonstratable to anyone else?

Let's also assume for the sake of argument that answer is no.

If so, then no they're not going to be viewed as an 'instrument of salvation' by anyone but themselves.

But what are they in this reality? That's what you're asking I think really. And I'd have to go back to it's subjective, because what they are is a subjective title.

Example: I am dying. Bob saves me. I think Joe saved me. Bob doesn't speak up, neither does Joe. I hail Joe as my hero, and everyone else agrees. YAY JOE! Is Joe a hero? Most people would say 'no, he's not, he didn't do the act. Bob is the 'real' hero'. Yet if you ask me, I'd say absolutely Joe's the hero...he saved me.

Whether or not you think Joe or Bob is a hero, depends on the information you have. Joe and Bob are not 'heroes' in a vaccum. Someone must have the information in order for there to be a hero.

Slightly different but same example: I am dying. Bob saves me. Then we're all injured immediately after, and have no memory. Just me and Bob, alive. Is Bob a hero? You'd say yes only because you know he saved me. Without that knowledge, Bob is just Bob.

There are also possibilities where Bob knows what he did, doesn't count himself a hero, and is never publically 'hailed' as one. Unless there's some 'all-knowing' entity which is watching each sparrow fall as it were, there's no score keeper. Without the information no one thinks Bob a hero. We have to have the information first to determine whether or not Bob was indeed heroic...or not. And additional information can change our view. Maybe Bob's motives were less than pure, maybe Bob pulled me out of a burning building to rape me. If that was his motive for saving my life...well we wouldn't really consider Bob heroic in that instance either. Even though the fact that he saved my life wouldn't be in dispute. His motivations for doing so play clearly a key role. (And generally the risks one takes also play a key role. A mother running in to save her child with no risk to herself, it's not heroic, it's human. Who wouldn't do such? A stranger rushing in, risking his life to save someone he has no connection to, with no thought of reward...we consider that heroic).

So sorry there's no clear cut answer to your question, it really falls under 'It depends'.

Is there ever a scenario where someone killing someone could be beneficial or seen by most as 'good'? Sure.

krby71 wrote:

There you go.

We have no evidence of Bigfoot, other than highly questionable anecdotal accounts. I've actually talked with Bigfoot people and some of their claims...wow. Way out there. One person claimed to have hair and feces samples, but refused to have them tested. I pointed out that Dr. Jane Goodall believed that there was a possibility that a Bigfoot creature existed, to counter their claims that "They" would never allow such testing. Who is "they", varies, but it's usually vague references to "powers that be" who have some shadowy reason why they'll never "allow" Bigfoot evidence to come to light.

So, we have a situation where Bigfoot has no real evidence. Not a whit. All evidence that has been examined has either been demonstrated to not be Bigfoot (or a hoax) or is not conclusive.

Can we dismiss Bigfoot? No. We cannot say Bigfoot doesn't or can't exist. We can say we're not going to go looking for him though. We can say that the burden of proof lies upon the claimant. We can say we're NOT doing their homework for them, and they need to produce the evidence themselves.

It means that no one is required to rush out a team of scientists and make testing available for every claim, examine it to the fullest potential (on who's dime?!) and ONLY THEN come to a conclusion. It means that given the lack of evidence in the face of numerable claims, you're not even going to bother looking unless someone produces something of merit to look at.

That's what it means to not dismiss it totally. Does it mean we can't say, "There's no bigfoot" or unicorns or fairies or flying dragons? No we can say that. The evidence thus far says 'Nope, it's not there'. What we can't say is "Bigfoot is IMPOSSIBLE", or "Bigfoot can never exist!". It may seem to some too subtle a difference, but it's a key difference.

Being open to evidence doesn't mean we have to say "Sure it's possible that Bigfoot exists" when we've seen no evidence of such. Otherwise you have to also say, "It is possible that unicorns exist, and fairies and dragons and Hogwarts and Harry Potter" based on "you can't prove they don't!!!!"

Which is absurd. See my signature it says it far more clearly than I ever could.

We can make statements about what we know, we are not obligated to include highly unlikely possibilities. We must ALWAYS remain open to examining evidence, but it doesn't mean listening to every insane person yammering about how they saw Bigfoot. A better example of this is probably the large number of claims about 'free energy' machines. machines that create more energy than they use (solar isn't "free energy" it's from the sun which is making energy from something, we're just 'catching' a small portion of that). They usually involve some belief in perpetual motion. Anyway there's plenty of that shit to look at online. Amazingly enough they all suddenly stop working whenever they're closely examined by science, and they never repeat their amazing results.

Should we dismiss it all simply because it's outside the fucking laws of the universe as we know it? Meh, some might say 'Yes'. They are in reality, impossible. There's been good arguments on why no one should ever waste their time again on this shit (Issac Asmoiv had a good essay where he went fucking BONKERS on this shit). But there's also arguments on why these things need to be addressed and shown to be bullshit, because there are people who just don't know enough science to know it's bullshit. And sometimes that's the people who've made the machines too, they're 'honest' in their belief...they're just wrong.

So if we know they're in reality factually (see my sig!) impossible, why bother to look at ANY evidence? Well if compelling evidence *is* ever shown, then we'd have to incorporate that new information, which would change what we know. It wouldn't be impossible if it could be shown to work. We'd also have to restructure a metric fuckton of what we know about our universe too. But it would be utterly retarded to go out looking for it, it would be a complete waste of time. It's up to someone who makes the claim to show compelling evidence. Why would they bother? Well they want to be believed is one answer. There would be huge benefits is another answer. And they'd make a shitload of money is really the final answer. ;)

And science (which is really a process) isn't dogmatic, and does change in the face of new evidence all the time. But it would be asinine to include every probability no matter how ridiculous simply because it can't be 'disproved'. It's smarter to go with what you do know, what can be proven, and what is highly likely given the evidence thus far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:44 PM 

I will have to check for a linkypoo, but I believe the originator of the Bigfoot hoax "confessed" before his death. I believe Joe Nickel has an article on-line regarding it. When I have a more reliable connection, I will see if I can find it.

Just a good example of a rational explanation for an extraordinary belief.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:28 PM 

Quote:
Not drowning in your secretions as a child.

Why? Give me ONE reason that it's unjust.

Quote:
Already did, numerous times, particularly in the Hell thread. Pick one. Just step over the Crying Children. . . .

As above, why? Give me ONE reason that it's unjust.

Quote:
You are trying to get out of the implications of evil by redefining it. You can call it "Throatwarbler-Mangrove" all you want, but it is still the same thing.

But the problem is that you still haven't really defined evil because you can't tell me why a child suffering is bad.

Quote:
But, by all means, Justify the Unjust Suffering. For some reason, after all of this time, you have not.

Same goes for this. Why would I need to justify it if we can't even declare what's unjust about it?

Just one reason. "Just cuz itz bad" is not a reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:33 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
DoctorX wrote:
I will have to check for a linkypoo, but I believe the originator of the Bigfoot hoax "confessed" before his death. I believe Joe Nickel has an article on-line regarding it. When I have a more reliable connection, I will see if I can find it.

Just a good example of a rational explanation for an extraordinary belief.

--J.D.

There's more than one, but if you're thinking of famous footage, then yes I think so. Too lazy to look it up. Additionally there was work done 'stabilizing' the footage and when that was done, it became very clear to any viewer it was a guy in an ape suit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:02 AM 

Venen wrote:
Why? Give me ONE reason that it's unjust.

You think it is Just for a child to drown on her own secretions?

How unempathetic.

Then I am sure you can detail what she did to deserve it.

Quote:
As above, why? Give me ONE reason that it's unjust.

See above.

Quote:
But the problem is that you still haven't really defined evil because you can't tell me why a child suffering is bad.

You belieive it is good?

Quote:
Why would I need to justify it if we can't even declare what's unjust about it?

You cannot. "We" can.

Quote:
"Just cuz itz bad" is not a reason.

Actually, it rather is a reason, particularly since the child did nothing to Justify it.

You can keep going in circles, but you cannot make a square round.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:07 AM 

Tarot wrote:
There's more than one, but if you're thinking of famous footage, then yes I think so. Too lazy to look it up. Additionally there was work done 'stabilizing' the footage and when that was done, it became very clear to any viewer it was a guy in an ape suit.

That is it.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:14 AM 

Quote:
You think it is Just for a child to drown on her own secretions?

How unempathetic.

Then I am sure you can detail what she did to deserve it.

No, I think it's horrible and unjust. But I do not claim that my view is a moral absolute, because *I cannot give a logical reasoning for my position*, just as you can't.

Empathy? I just stepped on a bug, where is your empathy for it? Why do you empathize more with the child?

One reason. Just give me one reason why it's unjust.

Quote:
Actually, it rather is a reason, particularly since the child did nothing to Justify it.

You can keep going in circles, but you cannot make a square round.

The bug did nothing to justify my stomping on it. I killed a plant too, the plant did nothing to justify it.

If one believes that an action has no moral consequence, there is no reason to justify it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:17 AM 

Venen wrote:
No, I think it's horrible and unjust.

Then you have only the Five Possible Choices [Tm.--Ed.]

Excellent.

Quote:
. . . because *I cannot give a logical reasoning for my position*, just as you can't.

Ipse dixit, but incorrect.

I have already explained, numerous times, on two threads, why the children do not deserve the suffering. If you wish to claim that is false, then you need to rebut that.

You have just admitted that you cannot.

That rather ends it right there.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:24 AM 

Just to jump ahead a couple of steps:

Quote:
Empathy? I just stepped on a bug, where is your empathy for it? Why do you empathize more with the child?

Your response would likely be "because the child has feelings and intelligence and could potentially live a happy life!".

What, precisely, is significant about that happiness or those feelings? On a cosmic scale, they are pretty darned insignificant. Causing pain, etc -> What precisely is bad about pain? We have empathy in large part because we can relate as human beings. We have trouble extending it beyond our own kind sometimes. But we place a large significance on the pain of our youngest innocent ones - they are us, in lesser form and we cannot survive without a future generation.

Where does that placed significance come from? Not just on kids, but human beings in general. It comes from US. it is our own view, not a fact of the universe.

And again, "cuz happy feelingz R good" is not an adequate explanation. From a completely non-biased viewpoint, happiness, intelligent thought, pain, and conscience are nothing more than neurons and nerve-endings. Until you can define what significance those things have beyond "just cuz", you can't declare a moral absolute. And with a statement like "God is either X, Y, Z or a combination of the two" it is pretty important that we can accurately describe what X, Y, and Z are to a degree of precision.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:28 AM 

Quote:
Then you have only the Five Possible Choices [Tm.--Ed.]

Excellent.

Negative, for the reason I described above. I cannot claim my view is a correct definition of evil. It is subjective.

Quote:
Ipse dixit, but incorrect.

I have already explained, numerous times, on two threads, why the children do not deserve the suffering. If you wish to claim that is false, then you need to rebut that.

You have just admitted that you cannot.

That rather ends it right there.

Well, I gave a commonly used expansion of the argument "children do not deserve this because..".

I've read both threads, and I really didn't see anything consisting of more than "just cuz" in essence. If I missed something, let me know and at least give me a brief synopsis of a concrete, logical reason why it is unjust for them to suffer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:05 AM 

Venen wrote:
Negative, for the reason I described above. I cannot claim my view is a correct definition of evil. It is subjective.

Since you cannot provide an argument that would Justify the Unjust Suffering, you will accept one from a sociopath? Will you believe whatever excuse a Mengele or Celine Dion will give for their tortures?

"It gets my rocks off!"

That justifies it?

"I hate children!"

That justifies it?

What? Anything.

Ultimately, it does come down to you, since you have to decide what you can worship--and if you choose the First Choice [All Rights Reserved--Ed.] then you are not worshiping anything. For everyone else, they will have to [colo[Enough.--Ed.] justify such for themselves. If Charles Manson walks up to you and tries to justify if for you, you are perfectly free to recognize he is trying to spin Evil, since he cannot show you how the child deserved her suffering.

You may wish to also consider a prison transfer.

Just because for whatever reason one does not want to recognize the unjust as unjust does not make the unjust unjust.

Quote:
Well, I gave a commonly used expansion of the argument "children do not deserve this because..".

Which . . . then . . . takes you right Unjust Suffering and the Five Possible Choices [Official Choices to HRH Elizabeth II--Ed.].

Quote:
If I missed something, let me know and at least give me a brief synopsis of a concrete, logical reason why it is unjust for them to suffer.

To put it very simple: they have done nothing to deserve it. Now, I am not discussing the vivisection example, because someone can rejoin that it is a "bad man" who is responsible--Mengele in the example. While I do not "buy" that gets one out of the Unjust Suffering, it is a valid opinion that then gets us into one huge tangent . . . "does a Relevant deity have a responsibility to prevent . . . blah . . . blah . . . pages and pages of bandwidth!" Then some prat jumps in questioning the whole Holocaust happened, and I have too look for a cat to kick!

And no one want that.

So I stick to the other example of a rather nasty childhood cancer. Not caused by anything the child or parents did. It is particularly nasty given the progressive horrible motor decline.

How does the child "deserve" that?

I am more than understanding of the subjective nature of "deserve" in many things in life! My MFYs fan-friend feels it a great injustice that his team cannot capitalize on the losses of the Not-So Glorious Red Sox. While players like to invoke deities for their successes the "answer" is--PLAY BETTER! You lost because they played better. Okay, may be the umpire scREWED DAVID ORTIZ HESHOULDHAVEBEENGIVENAWALKTHATWOULDHAVEWALKEDIN [Stop that!--Ed.]

Right . . . the case I give is a bit extreme, I confess, but it is real and repeated. It has, unfortunately, been repeated thousands upon thousands of times. Subjectivity falls away because of that.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:08 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Balearic
I'd have to reconsider my support of the Red Sox, which probably predates your worthless, self-absorbed, narcissistic existence, were I to learn you're a fan.

As for you judging the wisdom, justice, or benevolence of any deity -- just how long have you been in therapy, anyway? Belief or non-belief is up to individual choice; however, to say, as you seem to say, "You're a moron for believing in a god who allows children to die from cancer" is arrogant beyond words -- both because you presume to judge the deity, and because you judge the believer. In Christian theology, we have individual choice. As a result, there are consequences. Thus, if a factory owner permitted toxic chemicals to be buried in an area that subsequently became a housing subdivision, whose fault is it that little Jenny gets cancer and dies? It's not God's fault, unless you feel that God should run every aspect of our lives and make sure everything is always wonderful. But what would the result be? Ungrateful people who (justifiably) feel they can literally get away with anything, or people who are resentful because they feel controlled. I doubt that either is really any better than what we have now. But knock yourself out trying to "prove" that anyone's faith is meaningless because you're so much better than man or deity. You'll never prove you're right to anyone who truly believes in his or her deity.

And what's a god? Anything a person believes is a higher power, can help or save them, and/or is their reason for being. Thus, for some people only God is god, while for others, god is a job, or a car, or their pets, or (I suppose) a lucky shoelace.

Enjoy being perfect and omniscient.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:28 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
He's a Sox fan and a Patriots fan. Most Red Sox fans (and Cubs fans) know how to be patient and understanding. This fool is neither. Something tells me he wasn't a born and bred fan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:20 PM 

Bale wrote:
I'd have to reconsider my support of the Red Sox, which probably predates your WAAA!!!!!!! BAD MAN!!!! BAD MAN!!!!!

Again, observe who it is who jumps on a topic and has a temper tantrum.

Does not, for some reason, offer any rebuttal.

Just: Image Image

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:43 PM 

I'm not having a temper tantrum, you front-running ignoramus.

God Almighty, I hate people who think they know more than they do -- or who act that way so they have an excuse to put other people down.

Maybe if your mommy had paid attention to you when you were a kid, we wouldn't have to put up with your "I'm better than you, neener-neener" horseshit because you wouldn't have to validate your existence through posting on message boards. Or, maybe she was a cold person who felt she was better than the rest of the world, so you adopted her beliefs for yourself because it was easier for you to love yourself as a god than it was for you to submit to any deity.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:06 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

Bale wrote:
I'd have to reconsider my support of the Red Sox, which probably predates your worthless, self-absorbed, narcissistic existence, were I to learn you're a fan..

Regardless of what you think about him, why would you base your support of a team off of how you feel about a certain fan? Those are the words of a true poseur. Look, there are plenty of fans with whom I disagree--even with some of the players about their beliefs, including Curt Schilling, who is a total fundy and often attributes his wins to "God" instead of his own talent and hard work.

All that aside, I found something that you might like:

Though you may find that this to be a better fit:

PS: Damn--MFYs just scored. Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:24 PM 

Bale wrote:
I'm not having a temper tantrum, you front-running ignoramus.

"I'm NOT!! I'M NOT!!!!!"

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Quote:
God Almighty, I hate people who think they know more than they do. . . .

You suffer from self-loathing? Explains a great deal, though one must admit it is justified. I mean, when you quote a reference--that is mistaken--that also contradicts you trying to pretend an ancient city never existed--well, you have a lot to hate about yourself.

Then explodes in a further tantrum over the fact he cannot actually defend his beliefs with facts or even the texts.

Quod erat demonstrandum times two. . . .

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:21 PM 

You two buffoons obviously don't have a fucking clue.

It's knuckleheads like you who give Red Sox fans a bad name.

Quote:
Regardless of what you think about him, why would you base your support of a team off of how you feel about a certain fan? Those are the words of a true poseur.

If you had any fucking idea how many fistfights I've been in over the years with asshole Yankee fans, Junior.... Sadly, smug comments only serve to reinforce the stereotype that Massachusetts people are among the most arrogant, condesecnding, and downright rotten people in the country. But if you want to be seen as self-satisfied and self-righteous, keep on going, because you're doing a hell of a job of it.

Quote:
Look, there are plenty of fans with whom I disagree--even with some of the players about their beliefs, including Curt Schilling, who is a total fundy and often attributes his wins to "God" instead of his own talent and hard work.
G38 has never said his success wasn't the result of his own talent and hard work. However, he acknowledges that God has helped him, and that his faith has been a major influence in his life. Way to distort facts.

Quote:
You suffer from self-loathing? Explains a great deal, though one must admit it is justified.
I'm not the one with the self-image problem here, Alex Rodriguez. You are. Otherwise, you and your little friend wouldn't have to make little tag-team posts all over the boards in order to validate each other. Quite frankly, Tarot must be on drugs to think you two have anything of value to say.

Quote:
I mean, when you quote a reference--that is mistaken--that also contradicts you trying to pretend an ancient city never existed--well, you have a lot to hate about yourself.
I didn't say the city didn't exist. I said that, according to the Bible, the armies of the Antichrist will gather in a valley. Said valley was, at one time, a dump. Big difference.

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 PM 

Bale wrote:
You two buffoons obviously don't have a fucking clue.

Whines the Cry Baby.

Quote:
It's knuckleheads like you who give Red Sox fans a bad name.

Funny, this is the one throwing out insults and tantrums. Good Glorioius Red Sox fan--who just won--Image--are "measur'd in manner and speech, Madam."

Mayhaps he is really a MFY fan? Would explain why he becomes so angry at having his ass handed to him by a Glorioius Red Sox fan:

Really breaks into a complete rant.

Quote:
G38 has never said his success wasn't the result of his own talent and hard work. However, he acknowledges that God has helped him, and that his faith has been a major influence in his life. Way to distort facts.

Apparently, he missed his conference after Game 6. Shall I quote it for him? Or would that be "using sources?" [Boo. Hiss.--Ed.] Do DVDs have page numbers?

Quote:
I said that, according to the Bible, the armies of the Antichrist will gather in a valley. Said valley was, at one time, a dump. Big difference.

Save the term "antichrist" does not appear in Revelation. Now that he is appealing--erroneously again--to text, he may not exactly like that the author intended his "visions" to occur soon. Junior tells him so:

Quote:
Rev 3:10 οτι ετηÏ?ησας τον λογον της υπομονης μου καγω σε τηÏ?ησω εκ της ωÏ?ας του πειÏ?ασμου της μελλουσης εÏ?χεσθαι επι της οικουμενης ολης πειÏ?ασαι τους κατοικουντας επι της γης

Because you [John--Ed.] have kept my word of patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial which is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell upon the earth.

Rev 22:12 ιδου εÏ?χομαι ταχυ και ο μισθος μου μετ εμου αποδουναι εκαστω ως το εÏ?γον εστιν αυτου

"Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done."

Rev 22:20 λεγει ο μαÏ?Ï„Ï…Ï?ων ταυτα ναι εÏ?χομαι ταχυ αμην εÏ?χου κυÏ?ιε ιησου

He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

Now, even conservative scholars like Cohn who accept the saying contained in the NT texts pretty much without question accept this:

Quote:
The specific forecasts which the seer was trying to convey to his fellow-Christians all proved mistaken: not one of the events which were supposed to happen around the year 100 [CE--Ed.] came to pass (Cohn).

Quod erat demonstrandum times three.

Now, about that suffering child?

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:21 PM 

Quote:
Curt: I gotta say I . . . ah . . . I became a Christian seven years ago, and I have never in my life been as . . . been touched by Big Daddy [Stop that!--Ed.] by God like I was tonight. Tonight was . . . I tried to go out and do it myself in Game One and . . . and . . . I [shut in?--Ed.] You saw what happened. Tonight was . . . tonight was God's work on the mound tonight, no question.

Curt Schilling interviewed by Kenny Albert at end of Game Six

Quod erat demonstrandum times four. . . .

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:23 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

"The fact that God gave me the ability to impact peoples lives in this way is something you wish everyone had a chance to experience."

--Curt Schilling, 38 Pitches, 6/7/07, after a one-hit shutout vs. the Oakland A's.

Make that times five. . .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 PM 

You would think--as a "Red Sox fan"--he would have the DVDs available so he would not misquote Schilling so horribly. Granted, given his track record with the NT texts, this should not be a surprise; however, a DVD does not require an index or reading or any of that really hard stuff.

If he cannot get his facts correct with Curt after claiming to be a "Red Sox fan," one must rather wonder about his reliability in other areas.

His behavior: temper tantrums, denial of reality, general boorish behavior, constantly getting his facts wrong--this is more appropriate for a MFYs fan.

He must really be a MFYs fan who is launching on a front-runner, what with his team being 10 1/2 in the sewer and A-Fraud McSlappy having just been injured.

Social climbing he is. . . .

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:33 PM 

Just for accuracy, he claimed Megiddo was not a city.

I am sure he would like that little error to pass unnoticed.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:55 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

DoctorX wrote:
You would think--as a "Red Sox fan"--he would have the DVDs available so he would not misquote Schilling so horribly.

One would also think as a RS fan that he would also take the time to read Schill's blog.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:08 PM 

You would think that a pair of assholes who obviously have so much knowledge would have better things to do than to spend hours upon end trying to prove that their intolerance, bigotry, and hate speech/hate writing is right.

As for the Yankee comment, I fucking dare you to come within an arm's length of me and say that. You wouldn't live to see the next dawn.

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:24 PM 

And btw, that's not a threat I made. It's the truth.

As for this,
Quote:
Now that he is appealing--erroneously again--to text, he may not exactly like that the author intended his "visions" to occur soon.

there's an obvious answer in Matthew 24:
Quote:
36"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[a] but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

If Jesus didn't know when he was returning, how was John supposed to know? And what does "soon" mean to a prophet, or a deity? It can be a whole lot different than what some bespectacled fuckwit in a tweed jacket thinks -- or a couple little shitstains who are in a perpetual cloud of marijuana smoke, for that matter.

Finally, no real Sox fan would ever fucking dare to talk shit about Schilling. Well, ok, there are a couple absolute tools on SOSH who are still pissed that he called out John Kerry, but that's about it.

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:04 AM 

Bale wrote:
for the Yankee comment, I fucking dare you to come within an arm's length of me and say that. You wouldn't live to see the next dawn.

t3h d34dly int3rw3bs threat!! I would if he "dared" and "double dared". I would even if he had the temerity to "double-dog dare!"

Now see how typical MFY fan descends to an even lower level of discourse. Unable to back any of his claims with evidences--thanks--he now commits argumentum ad baculum--however since given his inadequacies and failure in this intellectual arena, it is clear he could not fight his way out of an oil-soaked paper bag if given a large stick. Thus, I would happily expose his MFY fandom to his face.

Even with a "double-dog dare."

Now the then for some reason he quotes Mt to disprove what the author of Revelation wrote. How inappropriate. Yet curious given the introduction to that pericope in which Mt writes:

Quote:
Mt 24:34 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all of these things take place."

which is based on Mk 13:30. Did he "miss" that. Did it just sort of "pass over" him? Mt just contradicted him.

What about:

Quote:
Mt 16:28 "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

which is based on Mk 9:1?

Did he "miss" that little claim by Mt? Mt just contradicted him again.

Again, one really should know their texts before quoting them.

Quod erat demonstrandum times six.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:12 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

DoctorX wrote:
Bale wrote:
for the Yankee comment, I fucking dare you to come within an arm's length of me and say that. You wouldn't live to see the next dawn.

t3h d34dly int3rw3bs threat!! I would if he "dared" and "double dared". I would even if he had the temerity to "double-dog dare!"

Now see how typical MFY fan descends to an even lower level of discourse. Unable to back any of his claims with evidences--thanks--he now commits argumentum ad baculum--however since given his inadequacies and failure in this intellectual arena, it is clear he could not fight his way out of an oil-soaked paper bag if given a large stick. Thus, I would happily expose his MFY fandom to his face.

Even with a "double-dog dare."

But it is "not a threat," it is "the truth!" Image

Okay, Bale, I realise am not in arm's length of you, but this medium will have to suffice. But, just so we are perfectly clear as to how seriously I take your t3h d34dly sk1llz, I will repeat:

"You are a MFYs fan."

And one more time, all caps, just in case that was not clear enough for you:

"YOU ARE A MFYs FAN!!1"

If that is still unclear, no worries, I can use t3h big colourful font. . .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:34 PM 

Quote:
Apparently, the Valley of Hinnom was used as the garbage dump for the city of Jerusalem. Refuse, waste materials, and dead animals were burned here. Fires continually smoldered, and smoke from the burning debris rose day and night. Hinnom thus became a graphic symbol of woe and judgment and of the place of eternal punishment called HELL.

Translated into Greek, the Hebrew “Valley of Hinnom� becomes gehenna, which is used 12 times in the New Testament (11 times by Jesus and once by James), each time translated as “hell� (Matt. 5:22; Mark 9:43, 45, 47; Luke 12:5; James 3:6).

http://www.ebible.com/dict/NNIBD/valley

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:40 PM 

Bale wrote:
Quote:
Apparently, the Valley of Hinnom was used as the garbage dump for the city of Jerusalem.

Which makes Megiddo not a city, as you claimed, how?

--J.D.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:15 PM 

Can we merge this in the Hell thread too? It is the same thing here too...

waiting...
for...
the...
post...
timer...
counter....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 PM 

Quote:
Can we merge this in the Hell thread too? It is the same thing here too...

But that would make that steaming pile even bigger.

On the other hand, it might distract us from the lovely picture Dr. Dickfour posted of Val Kilmer at the beach.

In retribution for that abomination, here's Dickfour's least favorite Red Sox player, long ago:

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:44 PM 

Someone will have to inform me if the MFY Fan posted something relevant to the thread rather than his previous Lies, Empty Threats, and Willful Misrepresentations.

I am not one to believe in miracles, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

In the rain.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:59 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

DoctorX wrote:
Someone will have to inform me if the MFY Fan posted something relevant to the thread rather than his previous Lies, Empty Threats, and Willful Misrepresentations.

I am not one to believe in miracles, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

In the rain.

--J.D.

I have done better than that.

I have found a picture of Bale's favourite baseball player, long ago:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next