Post subject: Dragon Age
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:52 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
Some give me info on this game, I r having hard time finding infos on its tardsmile

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dragon Age
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 PM 
I am a Spaceman

There is a good preview here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/dra ... ins3-1.php

Also, on the official website they have shit about the different character origins (http://dragonage.bioware.com/hero/human_noble) and most of the party members (http://dragonage.bioware.com/characters/).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:42 AM 

I am soo hungry for this game. I have been counting the days until release!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I preordered this today (on the PC).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:44 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Thinking of Dragon Age. They will have download content expansion on day one for $7.00 for both PC and the Xbox 360. Some of it will be free, and some won't. I guess this is the way of the future, but BioWare could had waited at least a month before releasing new content.

Dragon Age getting DLC expansion on day one

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I'll probably pick this up at some point in the future, after a price drop. Right now I still have my RPG backlog, plus getting Demon's Souls, Brutal Legend, and ODST shortly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

For me Forza3 is too close to the release of this. Unless they do some first day order bonus (like batman for 40$ when it came out) I'll just wait until I have time or the price drops. Definate buy though, just going to wait.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:16 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I'm still skeptical about this one. But yeah, I got a lot to work on before I pick this up.

Risen, Demon's Souls, Borderlands and Brutal Legend tapped me out. Probably gonna drop an mmo or two because I don't have enough time for all the awesomeness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:02 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Oh, yeah. Borderlands. I wanted to get that but now I'm saving up for a new computer. Hrm. Maybe I should start peddling crack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:43 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

The character creator is available now. You can download it HERE.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10 ... y-trailer/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 AM 

Good way to look at skills and shit, but a wiki would have worked just as well.

My shit is broke. I get no characters showing up on the left hand side when you can play with the sliders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:09 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Hmm, mine works fine on Vista. You have Windows 7 by chance?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 AM 
What does this button do?

Rift: Bigteeth
Eve Online Handle: Bigteeth
I have the same problem as Givin. Its all grainy graphics on the left side, I see half a character...everything else is fine though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:33 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Hmm, mine works fine on Vista. You have Windows 7 by chance?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 AM 

Bigteeth wrote:
I have the same problem as Givin. Its all grainy graphics on the left side, I see half a character...everything else is fine though.

I fixed my problem by upping resolution in game options, or when I turned on AA and put everything in High Detail.

In other words, I don't know what the trouble was. Character models aren't anything impressive, at least to me anyway. Not that its bad, just standard. Wish there was some gameplay to go along with this. BioWare does great when it comes to putting out the cinematic to hook you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:46 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/new-y ... -age/45248

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/new-y ... -age/45249

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:15 PM 

Looks like a good game to grab up if you are out of other shit to play and want an oldschool type RPG to blaze through. I'll probably wait on this one just because there is so much other shit coming out.

Co Op would have made this game a beast instead of just another RPG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 PM 

10 mins into this so far, my sister is a whore and this is easily one of the most cumbersome, clunky as fuck UIs I've ever played with in an RPG. Definently takes re-getting used to. It doesn't feel as responsive as Mass Effect or KotoR.

EDIT

PC version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:23 PM 

Not good to hear.

I highly respect what you write as far as game reviews go.

I am playing Mass Effect right now just to pass time while my 8gig download happens. I was thinking the whole time, if the UI and movement is anything like Mass Effect then this will be a great gaming experience.

Keep us (me) posted on how the game is…maybe make a new thread just on your review.….I have 50+ more hours for my download to be complete, I’m only at 25% complete so far….Iraq satellite internet = the suck btw.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:06 AM 

Got a few hours into it now. Restarted as a mage, since I never play mage characters first in RPGs.

The story is what you pretty much expect from BioWare, one of the key focus of the game. I expect it to be top notch and offer multiple playthroughs. The six different character beginnings feel more like story than actual tutorial areas. The mage one at least was challenging. I died a few times.

Lots of dialog choices as you would expect from a BioWare game.

I mentioned the UI feels clunky. I'm more used to it now but it just feels "off" for some reason. I'm not sure if it's too responsive or not responsive enough. I have some minor complaints, like your character Health/Mana bars next to your portrait being semi hard to read. I would have much preferred numerical or a regular old bar instead of the wrapped bar style they use. Targeting can be confusing at times. You do have a target ring, but some spells have to be manually targeted regardless once you select them. You get used to it, but meh. Friendly fire takes getting used to as well. I kept killing one of my characters off because of back row double fireball cone damage.

Combat is pretty much KotoR/Baldur's Gate. Command your party in real time, or give commands while the game is paused. I use a mix of both honestly. There is a pretty robust Combat Tactic system that you can set up as well. Like Final Fantasy XII, it's pretty much a "If this happens, do this" system. The nice thing about this is the NPC AI seems to be one of the smartest I've encountered. I haven't had to worry about my jabroni's getting stuck on doors or just wandering off to die. They don't auto charge into battle if they are mages either. IF they need to heal, they drop what they are doing and react properly. For tank types, you can have them peel off of a current target and taunt another one if that target is say, beating on your mages.

Graphically it's decent. Nothing to really cream panties over but it works. I haven't had any random encounters yet while out in the wild. The spell animations are pretty cool and I am glad I got this for PC so I have the extra freedom of camera. One big area where the game shines is the camera is very friendly and isn't as tight as say something like Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

My concerns, other than the UI stuff is this is just going to be another trip down the same BioWare road. Honestly, I'm reaching when I even say that since that is the one thing BioWare knows how to do is tell a story. Downloadable Content. There is some out now, but I just wonder how aggressive they are going to be for this. The promised Mass Effect DLC was pretty abysmal.

Final thoughts. It's worth a buy, t's fun, but fun in the exact same ways every other BioWare offering has been fun. And let me say before Venen makes some return telling us all about innovation and other horseshit, that there is nothing at all wrong with how BioWare cranks its money train out. Winning formula = winning game. If you like deep RPGs with lots of choice elements, you'll like this game. If you like a pretty sweet progressive story, you'll like this. If you were a fan of Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, KotoR, you will like this game. Because they deviate very little from those very successful formulas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:09 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Final thoughts. It's worth a buy, t's fun, but fun in the exact same ways every other BioWare offering has been fun.

Welp, that pretty much clinches that I won't be buying it. I liked BioWare games a whole lot until they went to 3D over-the-shoulder.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:35 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I want to get this but not sure if I should go 360 or PC. I can play on my big screen TV and on a couch with the 360 (huge plusses), but if I'm missing out on a much better game I can do the PC version. Any input?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:24 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

The potential for some awesome player-made stuff on the PC is pretty huge. All things being equal, if you have a quality computer, I'd recommend the PC version (and it's 10 bucks cheaper).

http://dragonage.bioware.com/toolset/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:02 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
And let me say before Venen makes some return telling us all about innovation and other horseshit

Heh, if you read what I said way back then you'd know that I was saying innovation and creativity are but mere components of something that *can* make a good game. They're still not necessary for one, refining on old concepts is still quite viable for great games.

Dragon Age is an incredibly solid game if you enjoy good storylines, character development, narrative and good voice acting, dialogue/choice-driven branching stories, and relatively enjoyable tactical/RPG gameplay. It's not the hardest game in the world by any means, but the tactical combat is fairly fun. The graphics aren't uber incredible, but the attention to detail is quite impressive.

I would say it's far better than any of the games you mentioned above: Brutal Legend, Risen, Borderlands. I enjoy Demon's Souls a lot, but mostly because I have a penchant for tough games. Compared to Demon's Souls, this game has much better production quality, but they're really two different genres and each can be enjoyed for their own thing.

I can't think of any game released recently that stands up to this in terms of "worth playing". Feel free to mention it, nothing is coming to mind though. There have been many games worth playing in recent months, but nothing that is as good as this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:07 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Here's a pretty critical review of the XBox 360 version:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/drago ... 360-review

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:39 PM 

Yep, I agree completely. I got this two days ago from Gamefly (it shipped before release day, that's never happened before and I doubt it will again).

The game looks bad. It just does. There's no other way around it. It looks like I am playing an updated version of KOTOR or Jade Empire. Very low texture resolutions... horribly so. I mean, it doesn't even match original 360 games like Gears of War. It's bad. Hell, Mass Effect 2 is about to come out and this doesn't even look as good as Mass Effect 1.

So far the plot is good but totally pedestrian - nothing new here. I'm at the part where you need to decide which of several places to go... just like in Mass Effect! I'm in the first village, complete with the cliche "Help some refugees" horribly boring quests and I'm having a hard time motivating myself to complete them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:59 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
In my opinion, anyone who suggests that DA is better than Borderlands hasnt played Borderlands much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:11 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone loves flawed shooters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:25 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Borderlands isn't much fun, so DA needs to be pretty bad to be worse than Borderlands.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:28 AM 

Not sure why anyone would buy the 360 version over the PC version given the tactical nature of the combat in the game(overhead view + mouse/KB really comes in handy), higher load times, worse graphics... not to mention mods. The game *feels* like it was designed from the ground up for the PC. I can't say I felt the same way about Mass Effect, despite it having the FPS element.

And yea, still don't understand the hype about Borderlands. It was alright for a while, but my co-op team is now all level 50's and we have several pearl weapons each. There's just nothing left to do outside waiting for more DLC. Really the game got somewhat boring around level 20 or so but we stuck it out just to see if there was anything particularly interesting around the corner with Borderlands. There wasn't. And it contains perhaps the easiest "FPS" element of all time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:32 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
Not sure why anyone would buy the 360 version over the PC version given the tactical nature of the combat in the game

Can't agree anymore here. Makes no sense to buy the game on a console system. On that note, I'll be buying my copy today see how Windows 7 handles it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:27 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Really enjoying this game right now on PC. Some of the fights have been really challenging to me as a mage. I'm only playing on Normal too. I went to Redcliffe first, then the mage tower, and sheesh I can be demolished in an instant in some of those fights.

It's much more tactical than Mass Effect or KotOR imo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:50 AM 

I love this game so far. It's everything that I've wanted in a game, I think very very soon this game will be added to my "Games That I've Completed" list.

-edit to add my pimp Mustang signature.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:03 AM 

Mage Tower is probably the hardest thing I have ever attempted on Nightmare.

Jesus Christ this is brutal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:51 PM 

I'm getting destroyed on Hard, I had to re-load like 4 times to beat some baby ass dragon while on my way to kill some werewolves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Anyone having any crashing issues? I hadn't crashed for over 20 hours and halfway through temple where the urn is I'm crashing every minute. Instant black screen lock up, have to power down computer manually holding power button.

It's really getting on my nerves...updated drivers, tried running at lowest video setting (to disable shadows), updated game...really strange. I even reloaded old save files to see if it was a corruption, but no dice.

EDIT - Seemed to be isolated to leveling up characters in the urn temple....weird. No crashes since.

Last edited by Nananea on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I haven't ever crashed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 PM 

It's a nice looking game. Then again I haven't played any computer game on max settings in over 4 years...

Dwarf Noble = cool, will try mage next round.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

I'm considering buying this game as well, but as of the past few years I've grown away from gaming on the computer and would rather play it on big screen tv (I just don't feel comfortable sitting in the chair I have) ..anyway, I'm wondering what the major differences are between the PC and PS3 versions other than mouse/keyboard versatility.

If anyone has any input, it'd be appreciated! Let's hear more reviews of this game!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:12 AM 

The graphics aren't nearly as awesome on the console versions. I heard the 360 got slapped hard for some reason. I wouldn't exactly peg Bioware for creating graphical marvels in any of their games anyway so probably just very nitpicky things. I'm sure there is a PC to Console conparison somewhere.

Limited to only official released DLC, no mods.

Console difficulty is also far behind that of PC.

Console doesn't get the zoomed out, overhead Baldurs Gate camera angle.

Some of the larger scale battles, console versions get to play through these as mini waves of enemies, rather than a big battle. Also much easier that way, just not as epic.

I'll see if I can find anything else, that's just all that came to mind right now. I know people who have the console version and are quite happy with it. Really it's all going to come down to how aggressive Bioware is with the DLC portion of the game. They really failed when it came to Mass Effect in my opinion, but since they're charging for Dragon Age content, maybe that means we'll see quite a bit in the future.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Pretty sure the console pausing is different as well. In the PC version, you can pause the game and issue commands for each player, then unpause. In the console version (so I've read) you pause the game, issue a command for one player via the radial menu, then the game unpauses. If you want to issue a command for another player, you have to again pause it, move to that person, and issue a command. This isn't a huge deal if you don't do much micro-managing, but if you like to tell each player what to do, the console will slow you down a bit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:15 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

That's actually a setting. You can have it stay paused after issuing a command so you can switch to the other characters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:26 PM 

Well you're both right. The radial can stay open without holding the LT down, but once you issue the command, it closes and you have to open it again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:49 PM 
Noob
Noob

I fail at micro-managing in general and commanding multiple characters put me to sleep. My question is do I have to choose supporting characters to trail around with a main or can I just solo with 1 character?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:56 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yes, you'll have to have a party (4 total, including your character) if you want to have a chance at living. But the AI is pretty good if you don't want to mess with the other dudes, and you can set up different tactics ( "if health < 25%, cast heal" etc.).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:01 PM 

The fade is the worst quest/mission in any game ever. Ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/27032

Waring just showed me, omg. So scandalous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:41 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Why's Zevran gotta be the bottom...sigh!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:37 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Oh fuck no... When I meet this character I will kill him. Thanks for the spoiler =)

No way ill let him come close to my pixel dick!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:11 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

You have to initiate it anyways you homophobe lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:30 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I read about a nice rogue build for DA but figured it probably wouldn't be that much of a difference from what I was doing...I was so wrong I'll share it in case anyone is thinking of playing again with a rogue. Put almost all your points into cunning and get the skill that lets you use cunning for your bonus damage. Not only can you do almost every rogue thing in the game without more than 1 point in it (like picking locks and pockets etc) due to the high cunning bonus, the damage is absolutely crazy since there is a 2nd skill that gives backstabs an additional damage bonus from cunning. With momentum on I kill orange ranked mobs in seconds and I get to be the sneaky rogue I originally intended.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:08 PM 

Nice tip, thanks for posting it.

Even so, they're still not as OP as rogues in WoW! I think I've played 2 2v2 matches all week that did not have rogues somewhere in them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:11 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I bought the PC version of the game tonight. Looking forward to playing it over the long weekend.

Offline Profile