PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:12 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
This should be interesting.

Quote:
Marvel MMO Deal Signed (link)

Gazillion to bring Marvel super heroes to massively multiplayer gaming audiences!

Been waiting for massively multiplayer (MMO) games featuring your favorite Marvel characters? Wait no more, True Believers. Coming soon, you'll be able to interact with Marvel characters like never before!

Gazillion Entertainment today unveiled a key partnership to develop MMO games based on Marvel Entertainment properties.

"Gazillion is thrilled by the opportunity to introduce a series of massively multiplayer games for Marvel fans worldwide," said Rob Hutter, President and CEO of Gazillion. "Without any question, the chance to work with the incredible library of 5,000 characters in the Marvel Universe—not to mention the creative leadership working across the comics, animated series, movies and every other media form where Marvel reigns supreme—is an exhilarating opportunity for any videogame company."

With team members from Apple, Blizzard Entertainment, Microsoft Game Studios, Pixar Animation Studios and many other leading companies, Gazillion has assembled talent from across the landscape of MMOs, console videogames, animated feature films and technology to address the mission of building breakthrough MMOs capable of resonating with wide audiences.

Gazillion's new licensing agreement with Marvel calls for the development and publishing of MMO games featuring Marvel's iconic universe super heroes.The first game in development is a casual MMO for younger audiences based on Marvel's Super Hero Squad property. Super Hero Squad features an exciting, super-stylized look for the greatest Super Heroes, including Iron Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Thor, Fantastic Four, Captain America and many others.

"Marvel has brought an incredible insight to this project, and that is the goal of creating a full range of persistent world experiences for the entire audience base," Hutter added. "We're planning on launching separate games but as additional games are released, they'll share various levels of connection. The unprecedented nature of Marvel's multiple MMO strategy not only guarantees an amazing lineup of Casual and AAA MMO games, but further makes it possible for new and dedicated followers alike to interact in a connected series of massively entertaining experiences. We're also underway on a major new Marvel Universe PC and Console MMO that will introduce a number of breakthrough features which we'll start discussing in the upcoming months here at Marvel.com."

"Marvel's library features a large and world-renowned stable of characters, making it tailor made for massively multiplayer entertainment that will appeal to a wide audience eager for more opportunities to interact with these iconic character franchises," said Simon Philips, President, Worldwide Consumer Products for Marvel Entertainment. "Gazillion's excellence in casual and AAA MMOs makes this an ideal partnership to fully leverage this powerful entertainment arena, bringing fans an exciting, interactive experience with the Marvel brand."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

From what I gather this is the 4th company to have signed on to make the Marvel MMO and the second to have a 10 year exclusivity deal.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:38 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I kind of think that City of Heroes/Villians has showed that there isn't the market for superhero MMOs that exists for fantasy MMOs. Unless someone can come up with a way to "Blizzardize" the genre, I think the CoX subscription base probably contains the majority of the market. Of course, I could be completely wrong, given the way that WoW has blown all other fantasy MMO numbers out of the water.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Ugh. Retarded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:33 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

There needs to be new blood on the market for MMO's. The genre is soo slate atm (WoW), and I am waiting to see what BioWare's take on MMO's.

Story-driven content might be something I will really enjoy (aka Wrathgate)...stuff like that made me really love the Lich King expan...until you hit level 80, and then become bored out of your mind lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:01 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

There's plenty of market out there. They just haven't found something worth being a market for, yet. We already have the "city of" double decker, DC and Champions both in the works, now this Marvel thing, and possibly one other, which I either can't remember or is just a figment of my cocaine addled brain.

The biggest problem right now is developers trying to attract WoW-like profits, largely because that's what the stupid fuckers are promising their investors, because the investors are fucking retarded. Niche is where you want to be. A successful niche can expand and diversify. A cornucopia of failure is just going to leak on the rug.

An up and coming game needs to clearly identify [target audience], Make a big cork board in the shape of a person and call it [Señor Target Audience] and attach little post-its upon which the features designed for [target audience.] When they open up their leet beta forums, and mouthbreathers start demanding shit like FFA PVP with FURRY YIFFING, FULL LOOT, HARDCORE shit, they can refer to [Señor Target Audience.] When they examined the post-its, they can respond to mouthbreather that their demands are not aligned with the design goals of the product for [target audience.] When MouthBreather_001 claims to be a member of [target audience] and then proceeds to explain why FFA PVP with FuRRY YIFFING is what [target audience] wants, they can once again consult with [Señor Target Audience] and then call MouthBreather_001 a fucking lying cocksucker and then ban him from the intrawebz. Then a Unicorn will give the entire team magical blow jobs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:00 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
The funny thing is that what we know today as Cryptic's upcoming Champions Online WAS Marvel Universe Online, but Marvel pulled out of the deal back in 2007...leaving Cryptic holding a Super Hero MMO (which is really nothing more then a cel-shaded City of Heroes with a few new features).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Doesn't a game with thousands of superheroes kind of make you feel.. not super?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Kind of like looking like every other level 80 troll mage, yet you're The One that the Lich King is going to be after in Acts II and III of WotLK? :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

As much as I'd like this to succeed for there to exist some variety in the genre, I don't think publishers have grasped the concept of MMOs being orders of magnitude more difficult to make.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:24 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Quote:
The first game in development is a casual MMO for younger audiences based on Marvel's Super Hero Squad property

To me this isn't where I'd set the target for my first MMO game. Are they doing this because AoC was "targeted for mature audiences" and failed? From what I recall AoC didn't fail because of the target audience, it failed because they forgot to build the game past level 20. Really how many gamers are going to play a game that is targeted for kiddies? Maybe they are going after the Wii crowd, but I don't see that being the loyal fanbase they need to target for a successful game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:13 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Maybe they want to compete with Hello Kitty Online.

Offline Profile