All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:13 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
http://livinglegacy.station.sony.com/

So SOE is offering free gameplay, free armor, and free expansions for old players. If anyone interested check the link above out. They are doing this for both EQ1 and EQ2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 PM 

EQ1 is long gone for me... I have been an avid EQ2 supporter and player but, this is all too little, too late. EQ2 made great strides and then just hit a brick wall. For some reason, I don't believe they can handle making new content and continue to work on serious issues which still need addressed. They have turned their back on the core community and the problems that still plague the game. If they think this will help cover up the issues in EQ2 they are sorely mistaken in my opinion. This expansion better be a knock out or I say EQ2 is on it's way to stagnation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:55 PM 

EQ1: Ekilam
WoW: Xinge
Rift: Xinge
EQ2: Xinge
RoK is a very fun xpac so far. TONS of quests, plat is easy to make, and so far the raid content that ive done is very fun and well put together. If people have tried eq2 out when it first released, i think its worth checking out again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
tried, completed all raid content thru Trakanon and Shard of Hate, got bored the next day, and stopped playing again

after you have beaten the high end content, there is 0 fun or enjoyment factor logging into EQ2, that is the downfall

of the game, it take very short time to hit max level, and very short time to complete end game content .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:29 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
You really just described every mmo ever created. This is not an EQ2 exclusive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:46 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
When I got that email today, I realized, I've finally lost all interest in logging into EQ ever again. It was a fun run, with good friends, but the time required versus the benefit you get just doesn't make sense anymore.

The only thing I log in to anymore is Eve Online, and that's on occasion to help a friend with a mission or change a skill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:19 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

The thing is even after you beat high-end content in some MMORPGs you can still do things like pvp and compete for high rankings/ratings/gear. From everything I've heard about EQ2 the pvp in that game is downright laughable. Fighting real players with real brains who can adapt will always be more entertaining than fighting scripted mobs that do the exact same thing over and over. If it doesn't have that with decent venues to do it in, I imagine there will be a whole lot of "I'll pass" going on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Venen wrote:
Fighting real players with real brains who can adapt will always be more entertaining than fighting scripted mobs that do the exact same thing over and over.

Not really. I hear this often, and yet I find most pvp in games (Early DAoC was an exception) to be lame and feeling far more like a treadmill than the pve content. It's cookie-cutter rock-paper-scissors cheapness FAR more often than not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Elessar wrote:
Venen wrote:
Fighting real players with real brains who can adapt will always be more entertaining than fighting scripted mobs that do the exact same thing over and over.

Not really. I hear this often, and yet I find most pvp in games (Early DAoC was an exception) to be lame and feeling far more like a treadmill than the pve content. It's cookie-cutter rock-paper-scissors cheapness FAR more often than not.

Yep. This is true. At the end of the day it boils down to random elements like crits and potions and thus removes any "skill"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:52 PM 

I've given this a bit of thought already, particularly after "PvE is hard" PvP guild conquered Illidan and through the resulting threads.

Most games are based around a certain combination of skills and abilities that you use to win, rock/paper/scissor pvp isn't much different than pve in that respect. What's different is that in pvp you have variation on what is used when, where, and how it is used.

Even in a somewhat limited pvp environment like WoW arenas, a few steps in the wrong direction by a player can change the outcome of the battle(particularly given all things are equal, which granted they usually aren't... but multiply even a few steps in a different direction and a few abilities cast at different times and you have widely different outcomes in every battle). If it were easy and simplistic, we would see everyone with 2500 ratings. If it were simply a matter of combination of several classes, we would see all of those combinations at the top and no 1600 warrior/druid 2v2 combos. We do not, and there are in fact quite a few "ideal" group makeups in 3v3 and 5v5 as well which do not end up faring well due in large part to skill.

Again, the key difference is in how many variables can change. In a PVE encounter, you have a raid of 25 people to take down a scripted opponent. Said opponent usually has those "variable" moves in which he does a random thing(think Chromaggus). A few attempts or reading up on wowwiki and you have covered all your bases on what they might or might not do.

In a PVE encounter, there is only one opposing side that can make a split-second decision to change their tactics on the fly: the human opponent. That creates varying results, and 25 people changing things can end up wiping a raid easily. The difference in PVP is that you have BOTH opposing sides capable of doing these split-second tactical and strategic changes. That means when one side changes, the other side can ALSO adapt to those changes. As opposed to PVE encounters, this exponentially increases the amount of tactical variation that can take place.

And thus my argument is that PVP in general requires more adaptability to any given situation. Harder? Well, I suppose that does depend on your definition of hard.

There are definitely people that are a notch above the rest in terms of skill, indicated by rankings and so forth. It's not an end-all means of determining skill, but I'd say it's certainly an indicator. I see people playing countless matches in full vengeful and never getting anywhere, and then I see people in the 2500 bracket in a few days after the season starts without win-trading or anything. No skill? Rock/paper/scissors simple? Upon casual observation, that seems to be a bit simplistic of an explanation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:49 AM 

EQ2's PvP was excellent for quite some time and they ruined it. Now they just don't care about it. I think SOE understands there are PvP based games coming out now and they have dug their hole too deep to turn it around. EQ2 will be completely PvE focused as I feel it was intended.

I'm a PvP person now through and through. I almost feel you can take 1 of 3 strats and apply it to a raid encounter. After doing things like Planes of Power (well EQ1 in general) I feel that I can raid anything by going through the same steps. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy raiding and taking a bunch of buddies to either complete a major quest like EQ2 epics but, the real challenge is playing against real people. I can always been better than the AI but on the other end, there is always someone better than me which pushes me to become better.

EQ2's PvE is boring, short, and unpolished. I'm tired of getting by bowl refilled with cheap dog food after eating steaks for a year and a half.

Come back Scott!! They need ya... bad!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:59 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Venen wrote:
Even in a somewhat limited pvp environment like WoW arenas, a few steps in the wrong direction by a player can change the outcome of the battle(particularly given all things are equal, which granted they usually aren't... but multiply even a few steps in a different direction and a few abilities cast at different times and you have widely different outcomes in every battle). If it were easy and simplistic, we would see everyone with 2500 ratings. If it were simply a matter of combination of several classes, we would see all of those combinations at the top and no 1600 warrior/druid 2v2 combos. We do not, and there are in fact quite a few "ideal" group makeups in 3v3 and 5v5 as well which do not end up faring well due in large part to skill.

Again, the key difference is in how many variables can change. In a PVE encounter, you have a raid of 25 people to take down a scripted opponent. Said opponent usually has those "variable" moves in which he does a random thing(think Chromaggus). A few attempts or reading up on wowwiki and you have covered all your bases on what they might or might not do.

In a PVE encounter, there is only one opposing side that can make a split-second decision to change their tactics on the fly: the human opponent. That creates varying results, and 25 people changing things can end up wiping a raid easily. The difference in PVP is that you have BOTH opposing sides capable of doing these split-second tactical and strategic changes. That means when one side changes, the other side can ALSO adapt to those changes. As opposed to PVE encounters, this exponentially increases the amount of tactical variation that can take place.

And thus my argument is that PVP in general requires more adaptability to any given situation. Harder? Well, I suppose that does depend on your definition of hard.

Well said, and I agree. PvE content might be fun the first time you see it (new zone and bosses). After that, it gets old fast (boring). To me at least..boss mobs never change...that is true, and I really don't like how players look up the stat to beat them. It takes a lot out of the game if you ask me. I think it would be more fun to learn the fights as a team, instead of looking up the info online.

I really enjoy the Arena in WoW. Its never the same thing twice. And, its always a challenge if you have a higher rated team. The BG's are a bit different tho...sometimes you get tired of losing soo much (on my battlegroup, the Alliance sucks major ass). I don't get bored of the Arena, compared to PvE content. Look at Hyjal, I got bored the second time I went there. I do admit it was pretty cool the first time because its fast paced and stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
CoH ftw!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:59 AM 

Quote:
Well said, and I agree. PvE content might be fun the first time you see it (new zone and bosses). After that, it gets old fast (boring). To me at least..boss mobs never change...that is true, and I really don't like how players look up the stat to beat them. It takes a lot out of the game if you ask me. I think it would be more fun to learn the fights as a team, instead of looking up the info online.

I really enjoy the Arena in WoW. Its never the same thing twice. And, its always a challenge if you have a higher rated team. The BG's are a bit different tho...sometimes you get tired of losing soo much (on my battlegroup, the Alliance sucks major ass). I don't get bored of the Arena, compared to PvE content. Look at Hyjal, I got bored the second time I went there. I do admit it was pretty cool the first time because its fast paced and stuff.

Yea, after about a bazillion different arena matches I'm finally starting to get a little tired of it, but tough competition is usually still fun for me.

Don't get me wrong here: I really love a good PVE raid encounter. I just prefer to have my MMORPGs contain BOTH, like WoW does. I was hoping Age of Conan might hold that hope for something new and better... maybe in a few months it will get better in that respect. But EQ was never the pillar of PVP goodness, and although I will take Muligan's word that EQ2 had some good PVP, a lot of the fights I've seen on youtube and so forth look like incredibly long and boring autoattack fights.

Anyhoo, there's just nothing better than unwinding after a 4-hour raid night with a bit of pvp goodness with the guildies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I'm in... loaded up eq2 last night, its ready to play today. I logged in and one of my old guildies shot me an invite. We are on Crushbone. Name is Sarr 44/50 cleric/provisioner .. I haven't played in years lol..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:03 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

my wrist hurts and mmorpgs are retarded

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:12 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
my wrist hurts and mmorpgs are retarded

*makes jerking motion with fist*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:50 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

this free armor and shit reminds me of how UO looked when it started selling the "Pre-made lvl 50 uber char" accounts. It's a sad day to see EQ this desperate, RIP.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:45 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
The free armor and weapon is shit. You get three random pieces based on your level and class, and it's really only useful if you are killing yard trash for money to spend on real gear.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

In the main area where all the vendors and stuff are is a cave. You can walk towards that cave to leave the tutorial. Gloomingdeep is just a place for new toons to get pretty good newbie gear and a charm so that you can increase your leveling rate in the early levels.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:18 PM 

The charm used to be as good as the one you got for completing Plane of Time.

Or rather, it was the only other charm worth using unless you had the fully upgraded one for completing Plane of Time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:00 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I have to call to get my password back from SOE ;/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:46 AM 

I am legend.

I want all the time I spent waiting on those fucking ports to and from the nexus back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:51 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
Pirate Sweeney Toad <What>

hahaha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I have the stock UI.
I'm not going to get back into it I don't think. I can't sit still long enough to play. I think I might make a tradeskill macro and see if sony busts me. =P

I haven't TS'd since I came back... dunno how much it changed, but it was hellish.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:15 AM 

Why would they "bust" you over the use of a maco.

You aren't exactly doing anything wrong. I do it with my G15 all the time. Or EZMacro.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:52 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
lol I was just thinking about this and was wondering if there are even custom UI's available anymore. I remember towards the end you almost HAD to have the various extra bars and whatnot to even be functional.

I DL'd the client though. Want to go check out Larreth and the old spots hehe....assuming I can even remotely remember my old logins.

*edit* wow...thats'a lotta downloadin' lol...1.5 gig initial and then its just going to town patching. Has been for almost 2 hours now lol...Does it even say what expansions I get? I only saw Kunark and Velious listed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:17 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
I have the stock UI.
I'm not going to get back into it I don't think. I can't sit still long enough to play. I think I might make a tradeskill macro and see if sony busts me. =P

I haven't TS'd since I came back... dunno how much it changed, but it was hellish.

lol...i simply couldn't find anyone. Bazaar was utterly and completely empty, PoK had perhaps 2 people in it. I apparently claimed some vet rewards but that was about it lol. The UI colors looked really washed out too, which was odd. Everything else looked fairly normal but the spell icons and inventory looked strange.

Both nostalgic and wtf at the same time. Larreths bags were full of misc stuff from all different eras and lots of PoP stuff that I've really no idea what they are for..etc lol

My rogue Shaylea was naked and all her items minus her epic were gone, having been given to my Beastlord years ago. No idea where that account is lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:17 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

activated cakvala i havent logged in but i was shocked they gave me my account back after being inactive for 2+ years and 9 credit cards used on the single account.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:11 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I don't think unattended looping tradeskill macros are allowed. Buying tons of materials, then setting up a macro to mash buttons overnight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:19 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I reactivated last night on Seventh Hammer... wandered around and went to South Ro to kill monsters, but I'm only level 19 and the zone was empty. I killed a Croc and said fuck it and died and camped out.

I reactivated my EQII sub too, I may play that more seriously, at least I can run around with WASD and not the number pad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:27 PM 

Quote:
I don't think unattended looping tradeskill macros are allowed. Buying tons of materials, then setting up a macro to mash buttons overnight

Too bad that won't work in EQ2.

A macro will not play whack a mole for you. Your combines will net piss poor exp, or none at all and most likely result in complete fail. Sure you could probably get by from using all +durability combines, but you're going to run into other snags.

It will also not select recipes for you so you can gaim bonus experience for making pristine on first item you create. You will be grinding grey recipes for over half the night, if you make it that far due to a full inventory. Even with 6x 36 slot boxes, you will eventually run out of space.

Tradeskilling has been refined to be about as easy mode as it can be, while retaining some interactive aspects. You don't even have to drag the tradeskill skills out on a hotbar any longer, they are right there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:32 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Quote:
at least I can run around with WASD and not the number pa

You can map your keys to do that in EQ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:44 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I couldn't remember how to open the options screen. I tried O and Escape and neither worked. Ha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:46 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Heh, I know. Same happened here. Turns out that EQ symbol in one of the corners of your screen has a ton of options, you access your spellbook from there too and a bunch of other shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:11 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

xskycrasherx wrote:
I couldn't remember how to open the options screen. I tried O and Escape and neither worked. Ha

yeah lol...i ran into that problem too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:49 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Yup too bad that it wouldn't ever work givin :lol: :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:52 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Larreth wrote:

lol...i simply couldn't find anyone. Bazaar was utterly and completely empty, PoK had perhaps 2 people in it. I apparently claimed some vet rewards but that was about it lol. The UI colors looked really washed out too, which was odd. Everything else looked fairly normal but the spell icons and inventory looked strange.

Both nostalgic and wtf at the same time. Larreths bags were full of misc stuff from all different eras and lots of PoP stuff that I've really no idea what they are for..etc lol

My rogue Shaylea was naked and all her items minus her epic were gone, having been given to my Beastlord years ago. No idea where that account is lol.

The merchants in the bazaar are invisible now, you only see them if you have a path to them after a search for items.

People don't hang in poK anymore they wait in the guild lobby, the guild lobby have no buff fade timeout so people go afk there instead of poK and when they come back to play they have a full assortment of raid buffs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:11 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Where is the guild lobby?

The old Bazaar was so much better imho... :( I hate what it is now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

If you're in PoK, go the the far west past the library and turn south when you hit the merchants. There's a door there that takes you to the guild lobby.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:59 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Lol... I notice that plat as utterly exploded in quantity. I was hearing auctions for crap for 190k plat and up. I looked at my bank and just laughed...I have 5k plat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:30 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

alt-O for options!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:47 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

Talk about crazy inflation

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Logged in cakvala claimed about 10 items, enabled all the expansions. I am 10 levels behind and no clue what spells i need, i have 222k plat though and 3 mounts one is a robotic boar (makes me sick righting, it jiggles to much)

So far its fun, new stuff to look at.. Think ill go solo some shit in Luclin then get bored and log him off again. lol

But well see i have 49 days left!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:42 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I still wanna know who has my account and what the password is so I can check this shit out.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/imag ... egacy2.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:57 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Lol