It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GU2 rolled out
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Game Update 2 rolled out and I just happened to glance at my credit card statement and realized I got nailed for 2 more 6 month subs....so I decided to fire VG up again since its been 4 months since I played. I had to take a break initially due to some IRL emergencies that came up but then like most people lost my faith in the game for many reasons that we've all pointed out earlier. I must say though, after doing WoW for awhile and having some fun after a few days of VG I'm almost ready to give it a chance.

LFG tool is really nice, much better then WOW or anything else imo. Riftway ports help curve the long travel times.....you still need to do some running but its not a 45 minute run to meet up with some one now.

The thing I missed the most with VG is the actual combat....at least as a long time wizard at heart. Casting on the move and Off/heal/def targets makes playing so much more enjoyable for me. When solo'n I still use 4-8 spells but it just flows so much better then WoW does for me (just my personal taste, not saying its the greatest thing since sliced bread).

They also switched to BoP/BoE itemization which hurts alt's especially because yellow (rares) are BoP off specific mobs. I'm confident that they are changing this in the future after feedback from the players.

Once they merge servers it might actually have groups for people. Raid content is still to be seen.....but I think alot of people bitched (rightfully so) about alot of the bad things and forgot some of the real fun crawls and quests, especially alot of the epic places. I'm not saying everyone should run out and give it another shot but if your abit bored or enjoyed parts of it you might keep your eye out this xmas when they have finished there updates and are "rereleasing it".

Is it ever going to recover from its HORRIBLE launch and mistreatment of its players....nope. Does it still have potential to be the best MMO out there for many of us....I think so depending how the next 6 months go. It does alot of things right, if you got a solid group of buds to play it with it might be worthwhile to give it a try again.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GU2 rolled out
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:52 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Why not just make it on one server?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:34 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The great "relaunch" pipedream everyone still hangs on to is pure comedy at this point. I've flipped flopped on this game many times but I am convinced after watching how they flushed it that it is in fact finished for good. A coat of paint can't disguise the fact there is still no 45+ content, horrible performance issues and still zero raid content avalable so long after release. No amount of WoWifying this game will save it.

Their bind on equip band aid does not solve the fact that 90% of the gear, crafted as well as dropped is worthless. Level 20-30 quested legendaries better than anything avalable at 50.

The offensive/defensive target argument for Vanguard people use is of course made by those that do not know it has existed in WoW forever.

Play EQ2. Go read some of the dev panel listings from fan fare and then take a long hard look at Vanguard. You will see the games future. Vanguard is the training ground they will use to bring in more people for large EQ2 projects.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:00 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

If any one is interested in trying out VG again a few of us are on Xeth and have a few people restarting etc or if you have a higher lvl char I have a few guys between 30 and 50 to do stuff with as well. You can do character transfers if I recall. VG still has its great faults and will never overcome the horrible release but if your like me and still think VG is the best experience out there give me a holla and we can group up and enjoy some of the amazing content that most people never took the time or could handle seeing (some hard ass shit in some areas deep down). Raid zone will open hopefully in the next 3 months so just enough time to get prepared for it.

Anyways toss me a tell ingame, turb, turbott, syliss, im typically on 2 of the 3. I have some spare change I can help out anyone starting with some twink gear. The levels are so much faster now with rested exp and a changed exp curve. And last update they made crafting 35% faster if you are into that thing. The only bad thing right now that ruins the experience slightly is the economy is still recovering from dupe issues of past (and present im sure but limited and they are banning whole guilds for participating in it) so prices are pretty high on alot of stuff. This combined with no damn BoE rare gear for sale anymore limits things abit but still SOOO much out there to get if you are willing to. Like every game classes still arent perfectly balanced but tell you what.....think back to EQ and tell me they were. VG to date has the best cast of classes in any game I've ever played and EVERY one has something they can bring to the table. When you are deep down in a crawl and you are on the brink of death there is always some way to pull it out of you have smart people who understand there classes which is what I loved about EQ....almost always some way you could manage if you keep your shit together.

Those that think its shit and don't want to play don't worry about us and our little niche game...enjoy wow or something! Those that loved the game but couldnt handle the bugs or crashes etc it might be worthwhile to try it out or if you want abit more polish wait to GU3 around xmas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 AM 

EQ classes were more than balanced. What the fuck are you smoking? Every tank could tank, every healer could heal, and DPS was pretty spread even across the board. The nostalgic feeling of "wow we made it through that hard situation" has nothing to do with class makeup. You can put an exceptional player behind any class and odds are they will excel compared to captain casual.

It is most certainly not a selling point of Vanguard. If anything the holy trinity is preserved perfectly in its original form there.

Not only is the game still pretty much shallow and full of current fail, but good luck dealing with the most corrupt group of GM staff since Eve Online.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:03 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

No point in arguing with Turbo. The fact that he still thinks VG is the best game out there says it all. :skewl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:48 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Haha.

Givin likes to argue, and VG looks to have a good update too bad it came a little too late.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:53 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Be that as it may, when the argument is "when they update it next, you may want to try it" tells me that it still isn't ready. Still.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:24 PM 

If you recall, all arguments I have made about the game were very much prior to any fucking up of any unfucking they might have done pre launch.

Beta Vanguard and Launch Vanguard are two separate things. It isn't even the same game. They just happen to be named the same thing.

This is not a good game. Period.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:29 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Hey, as I said to each their own....but I've played every damn game out there and yes this is the best game to me...my own opinion obviously shared by few but doesn't change the fact that it provides the type of game that I like. And Givin no offense but if you are trying to fucking trying to tell me classes were balanced in EQ...the same game I played from day one for 6+ years you are smoking some good shit. The point of my comment was classes had a very unique feel to them, they had skills that allowed them to think outside the box to some extent more so then most games I've played since then (and I've played everyone to varying degrees of high end content except DAOC). Also there was much less artifical limits in EQ (during earlier years at least) that resulted in being able to say "Ral is the best damn SK in the world" etc because there was a HUGE difference between a good player and bad (argue you all you want about this but remember most of us learned how to remove bad players quiet fast from our guilds/groups etc so we seldomly saw the differences that existed.)

VG fosters this same feeling for me with a more gear dependent world which is what I "personally" like. No classes play the same or remotely close and there are some major differences inbetween what a certain class can accomplish. The world itself is pretty damn huge...with so many area's that people don't even have a flucking clue about, so to hear people actually talk like they have explored these vast area's is almost funny. I spent 2 months exploring area's that 1% of the population had scene and the vast majority of the population isn't going to see due to inherent flaws of the game world. This shit was damn fun and engaging and yes at the end of the day it was more of a rewarding and entertaining experience that anything short of early EQ has given me (and yes i've fucking done the start up of every damn MMO about out there so no its not a damn "new" feeling that im associating with it, it was just good gaming to me.

Does it mean its for you...nope. Does it mean its going to make it through a rerelase and provide the experience most of us are hoping for on a macro scale and long term scale...nope. Does it mean the game may have flaws that last time I checked EVERY FUCKING game release had some varying levels of problems (yes I admit VG has some shit that just shouldn't be acceptable at this point in the game)........yes. Does it mean the game is a piece of shit...not to everyone and some of us truly enjoy the damn game and have dedicated some time into it and are enjoying our selves. And last time I fucking checked Neesha your opinion on things held as much weight as a meth'd out Kate Moss so the fact that I like the game really doesn't hurt my overall opinion. Many people loved it but unfortunately weren't willing to put up with the fucking complete dumbshit that sigil/SOE has put us through. And even though times are changed and we aren't expected to put up with this shit, the reality of the situation is that we have put up with it to some extent to every game that has been released (L2 for instance had 10X the exploints on release and such huge class imblances most people reroled to 4 main classes even after 3 months of 10 hr a day grinding). Its just not nearly acceptable as it used to be...doesn't change the fact its the same shit the hardcore gamers have dealt with for years.

The only question is will enough people give it a chance again to breath life and more importantly money into the game to provide us the support to make this back into a great experience. Me personally...I rather take that risk and possibly have alot of time invested in a game I will be playing for 4+ years to come opposed to contined raiding in WoW whcih for me just doesn't give much enjoyment anymore.

Last note...between me and my brother we've played almost every class to 40 or higher.....and have truly seen the differences between classes opposed to people just talking about 3rd hand experiences etc....the game may have some major flaws and fuck ups (which are all correctable) but they god damn did the classes right and it makes the replayability and overall fun of the game pretty damn high. They are the first game to me that ever made me feel like a healer could be fun (my blm is just freaking bad asss and has so many things you can do). SO again...don't like it or don't have faith in it go play the other games, no 1 is waving a flag saying OMG VG is so awesome all play it. But don't fucking tell me the game is a bad game when it provides some of the best grouping experiences and class experiences to date (in some peoples eyes anyway). Try and get off the fucking FOH type badwagon that won't forgive VG for the complete asstastic release, support and later development of the game. I was one of the people blazing trails in the game and I know for a fact the reasons most the high end crowds left and it wasn't because the game was "a bad game", it was for poor ass management and horrible time frames on fixing issues which in the long run can be overcame. And for the record I hate fucking SOE and actually swore never to play another SOE game after EQ due to horrible customer experience....but VG made me forget that in a heartbeat. Its the best for me...and thats about all I give a fuck about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:44 AM 

That was very hard to read, so i'm really only going to bold and inflate the only part of it that makes any sense.

Many people loved it but unfortunately weren't willing to put up with the fucking complete dumbshit that sigil/SOE has put us through.

Many people loved it but unfortunately weren't willing to put up with the fucking complete dumbshit that sigil/SOE has put us through.

I wish Keenen Ivory Wayans were here to pop out of the side of your screen and say "Message". When you get done chasing the carrot and want to formulate a serious analysis of mmorpgs, balance, and all that other nostalgic bullshit you are talking about, feel free to let the rest of us who woke up 3 years ago know and we'll clue you in as to how things have changed, and you can come to grips that you aren't playing a reskinned Everquest.

Your game fucking sucks, your grand relaunch will never happen and you are being milked as a tit of gluttony and denial. You seriously think SOE "bought" Vanguard? You are paying them money to train people on how to make Everquest 1 better.

I move we delete this fucking useless forum that stands tribute to a fucking horrible game before more sheep get contaminated into thinking this turd will ever become playable. Because it is the honest to God truth. This is not a grand reinvention of the wheel. Listen to yourself. "Maybe in 3 months when we get raid content." The World of Warcraft excuse no longer flies here. Saying we were not ready just shows how unfinished it all was in the grand scheme. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. You will have plenty to time to level up a bot team to follow you and "raid". Overcrowding and lockouts shouldn't be an issue since there will only be 10 or so people dumb enough to pay for that shit playing.

On that note, do you even have raid windows yet? Or a means to distribute loot without a halfass bandaid slash command?

Your entire last paragraph is an episode of LaughOlympics in itself. It has nothing to do with FOH Fanboys, or bandwagons, the simple fact of the matter is VANGUARD IS A PICE OF UNFINISHED SHIT HALF A YEAR AFTER IT'S OFFICIAL LAUNCH. So you continue sitting there, hoping it gets better, you hope against hope they change the carrot on the end of that stick every so often. Everyone else is going to go back to playing Gears of War.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:25 PM 

Man tho, forget it. It does not good to try. As long as people settle for shit like this, it will just continue to be released as commonplace.

Good luck on blazing those trails.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:25 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Game aside, the caliber of players is pretty good. Definately more of an upper level EQ1 crowd.
After reading how Sigil threw half their company out the door, I canceled and never looked back.
Tried WoW but found it disgustingly boring. Went back to EQ2 and leveling up alt #5 waiting for Kunark.
Vanguard had potential but flew too close to the sun with those wax wings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:22 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
Azzi wrote:
Vanguard had potential but flew too close to the sun with those wax wings.

It crashed and burned on takeoff.

Offline Profile