It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:36 PM 
Noob
Noob

Quote:
I seem to recall there used to be a "EQ Faces" or something like it site.

There was an Omishi listed there under the Lanys server section. But it was a GORGEOUS Asian female pic... not some dude.

AHAHAHAHA...not some dude. That GORGEOUS Asian "female" was from the famed bakla.net if I remember correctly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:37 PM 
Noob
Noob

Oh, hey Bigteets.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:53 PM 
What does this button do?

Rift: Bigteeth
Eve Online Handle: Bigteeth
The new MMO is the DC Super heroes, afaik.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:59 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
The new MMO is being worked by 5 people so far and nothing really has been done, they are just about to get started. The DC MMO is a little bit more advanced than that and has a bigger team. So, it is something new we haven't heard of.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:23 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Ahahah.

Yes. that hot asian woman, was a hot asian man.

Priceless.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:45 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Hahahaha I remember that, yeah that "hot asian chick" had a dick.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
Didn't see the male member. Didn't, and don't care.

And if you hadn't been clued in. You would have thought the same thing. Go ahead and lie that you wouldn't have.

Though it is amusing.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:37 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Quote:
Ex-Sigil: There are a lot of people, Brad included who were certain it would be a short-lived game. Some, in fact, including Brad, never played it. WoW should have been the example of 'look at what a good game can do!' when instead it was often spoken of like a bad thing.

For me, reading something like this is very ironic. My buddy (who got me hooked on EQ) only started playing Everquest due to an interview done with Bill Roper (old Blizzard president) in which he stated how much he enjoyed Everquest, and it was that vote of confidence that got him playing.

You would think it obvious that if you want to build a superior BMW, you would drive one to see what makes it so good in the first place.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:25 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Ahhh, right on both accounts haha. Lusion was the sick cleric, and Erat(i remember eratshop or something similar coming out afterwords). Lusion and Nega, man those two really filled up the guildsay haha.

Welcome back chode :P

Last edited by dashkast on Thu May 17, 2007 1:51 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:19 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

Hey Chod,

How ya been? Been a long time.

Still playing anything?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:49 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

F13 interview with McQuiad :

http://f13.net/index.php?itemid=562

Quote:
This is the transcript of an interview with Brad McQuaid via telephone which began at 1:40AM and finished at 3:09AM on May 17th, 2007. As before, I am adding no personal comments to this article outside of what is presented in the interview.

f13.net: What was the relationship in the office between Microsoft and Sigil prior to the split?

Brad McQuaid:: As I've posted a number of times, there was a regime change at Microsoft where they reorganized a lot of their game studios. The people who were in charge of the Vanguard project on the Microsoft side went elsewhere and a completely new group of people were put in place. In that new group of people, the upper management side were also in charge of getting the Xbox 360 out the door. So, the PC games at the time were not receiving a lot of support and I don't blame Microsoft for this at all. When you've got billions of dollars spent trying to launch a new console and millions on the PC titles, you're gonna make sure that the Xbox 360 kicks ass - I think they did a good job of that. The lower level people were put in charge of our project were people who didn't have any MMO experience. They had done Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2. We tried very hard to bring them up to speed and with open arms to show them the differences and similarities between developing an MMO and a single player game - the scale and things like that. That just didn't seem to work. Previously, the people who were dealing with us committed to us - verbally - that they, Microsoft, wanted and were determined to launch a AAA Massively Multiplayer Role-Playing Game - and to do whatever it took to make sure that happened. While that's not down on paper - as no company ever would put down on paper - that was our understanding. Under the new regime, that commitment, nobody remembered it.

When games like WoW were getting heavily into development and dollar amounts on games like EQ2 and WoW were becoming public - we said it would always be our understanding and agreement that we would compete with these guys. They backed down off of that and said that it was no longer their goal and at that point, the money started drying.

f13.net: So, Microsoft simply wasn't ready to compete and they had previously failed projects...

Brad McQuaid:: You have to understand how Microsoft works - and like I said, I don't blame them. They're given different marching orders from a corporate level when it comes to large expenditures. If you go back to Xbox 1 there was a lot of concerns. Can it handle Nintendo and Sony and Sega? Microsoft, you're big, but you can't have the console arena. Microsoft said "we're gonna do it, whatever it takes." The Xbox 1 was ok, and the Xbox 360 is doing great - and that, well, that was their mandate: To do whatever it took to start dominating the console market. They may not be there yet, but they're a lot farther along than they were with the Xbox 1. They had made that decision at some level to look ahead at online gaming and really do the same thing with MMOs. The day or the day after I left Sony, Ed Fries - I think the general manager at Windows Gaming - and other publishers called me, EA and NCSoft, but I had known Ed from before and had a relationship with him. I just knew that Microsoft, when they put their mind to do something, there's no stopping them. They were ready to make the next big MMO. A couple years into the project there was a significant change - the gaming group - and that was no longer the mandate. It took several months to really figure that out. When you have the Zoo Tycoon team assigned to you and the upper manager is in charge of your project and in charge of launching the 360... he must have had ten seconds a day to bother thinking about Vanguard. As there are - and I don't want to sound bitter - in large corporate entities, they make changes. When that change occurred, our relationship started going downhill. We knew what we needed to be competitive with World of Warcraft was in jeopardy.

f13.net: People have said that Microsoft were completely hands off in the development...

Brad McQuaid:: Well, before the transition, they weren't completely - but we were working hand in hand. It was a fantastic relationship. After the change they became completely hands-on.

f13.net: What did that do with the game?

Brad McQuaid:: It slowed down development significantly. Managing the game from their perspective, well... We tried to explain how MMO development is different from Zoo Tycoon and that explanation just wasn't being agreed with or understood - one of the two, I'm not sure. They wanted detailed schedules going out for months that were fairly inflexible. The more artistic a project is, the less schedulable it is down to the long term. I'm all for scheduling - but you have to be flexible. What if a technology doesn't work out? What if you find a better way to do something? You have to be flexible. Especially in pre-production. They wanted everything systematically and that it would take exactly this amount of time, this amount of art assets, and this amount of people to make, say, a dungeon. Are we talking about a premiere dungeon? A level 30 dungeon? A raid dungeon? A dungeon for core gamers? A dungeon where we can reuse certain art assets? Are we talking one where new art is used? There are a lot of variables there. There's not a lot of flexibility there. Our interpretation of that early on is that they don't understand MMO development. Later on, we determined that the decision was made that this is how the studio would be run regardless of the game.

f13.net: I was told that Microsoft actually came in and set a firm release date when you all were somewhere between 55 and 65 percent done.

Brad McQuaid:: Before the regime change, they had committed to us that they would adjust budgets and time frames to make sure it was a AAA game. These things take a long time to develop. Changes are happening, getting more expensive and customers are expecting more. We went back a couple of times together with [the managing team] to increase our budget or increase our time here and there. They were totally cool with that and understood that it was necessary to remain competitive.

After the regime change, that was considered "we were late" or "mismanaging" or "not adhering to strict schedules." It was looked upon not as staying competitive or making a AAA WoW-level game but rather that we were doing something wrong. They frowned upon us needing more time or money. When we'd ask for it, it was considered that we were making errors. Each time that occurred the micromanagement would increase. More and more Microsoft people would come down and try to analyze what was going on. Where we were "messing up." What they could do to "help us." Until finally they flat out said no. No more money, no more time. Your release date needs to be in the July 2006 time frame and that's it.

They didn't have their MMO people anymore really, and they had a major priority of getting the Xbox 360 out which cost billions and billions of dollars. Our ability to petition this to higher-ups and get any attention just really wasn't there.

I don't want to appear to negative here... but this happens with large corporations. There are changes and changes in mandate and focus, and clearly the Xbox 360 is doing very, very well. It has great titles and Microsoft is sitting fine. It's not like they made a catastrophic corporate error. I very much respect Microsoft as a whole and there are a lot of great people there and I'm definitely not one of those "I love Linux and hate all things Windows guys." I understand that all these things happen. Unfortunately it happened to us.

f13.net: Right after the split and before the tragedy the other day, that's when people claim you started to be in the office... not quite as much. Can you explain why?

Brad McQuaid:: We need to back up a little bit. After we split from Microsoft - because obviously we couldn't ship the game in an unready state - we had to go out and do something. Find money to make the game that we could and all dreamed about. We cut a deal pretty quickly so that we could get into SOE's E3 kiosk. We ended up having to meet payroll and to pay the bills. We needed to raise money. We went out and found some people who specialized in venture capital and I worked with those people immediately following the deal coming together. I started working with them on putting a deal together to fund the game to completion and fund the company post-completion and to possibly start a second title. It was basically "get money that we needed." So I started working with these people, it was a learning experience - I'd never really been in the private investor/VC world - and we started that process. I was in and out of the office quite a bit. Demoing the game, showing it to potential investors and putting together the documentation. All sorts of stuff you have to do for that kind of money.

f13.net: So that time being out of the office was business?

Brad McQuaid:: It was a bummer. Even going back to SOE, I want to make games. The executive producer side of things is more fun than the CEO business side of things. But it had to be done, right? So it was a bummer leaving a lot of that behind and it simply had to be done.

f13.net: The SOE-speak was vague in their press release, what are you doing on the game now.

Brad McQuaid:: Pretty much what the press release said. It will become more clear and more announced in the future. I'll be posting on message boards, working with the creative/marketing team on Vanguard, perhaps future things... projects, and working as a consultant in that area. Which are some of the things I really enjoy like posting on message boards.

f13.net: Like FoH?

Brad McQuaid:: If that had gotten to me, I'd have gone under in 1998.

f13.net: I don't know. You refuse to post on f13, even though you said you "read us daily."

Brad McQuaid:: No offense, it looks like a lot more people read FoH and I was posting on there to get the word out about the game. I had no intention to argue or or debate about the game. It was to show people that there was a difference. F13 is a smaller group of guys that really gets into MMOs - the analysis of MMOs and what makes them work. I enjoy reading it, it just doesn't seem like the same type of forum [as FoH].. On FoH, some people would say - "Oh Brad," You're just here promoting, go away. I say, "well, if that's your feeling, let me know." A bunch of other guys say "stay" and well, as long as I'm welcome here that I would. I was simply too engaged with other stuff to get into the more esoteric and more philosophical parts of MMO design which f13 is a bit more focused on...

f13.net: Well, it's irrelevant these days since everyone links to everyone else.

Brad McQuaid:: This is true.

f13.net: For everyone involved, do you have a Google Alert on "The Vision?"

Brad McQuaid::Hm. No. I have it on McQuaid and Sigil I think. I should probably put one on "The Hub of All Blame" as well.

f13.net: Actually, 9 out of 10 people believe that "The Hub of All Blame" is Gilbertson and Fisher. Do you even want to comment?

Brad McQuaid:: No. They're great guys, personal friends of mine and I can understand why people can be upset with them. While I understand it, I disagree on a professional level. Going further would have to wait for an SOE interview.

f13.net: Do you think some of that contributed to some of the eventual problems that arose?

Brad McQuaid:: I can't answer that, but when a company grows and you start being a manager, it's worrisome to hire somebody from outside though. So your inclination is to hire from the inside, your downside to that is that. Growing a company really, really fast is tough. I certainly made my share of errors and there are books written on it. It's not something easy. It goes back into something I said earlier about how quick this industry is expecting more and more - Everquest cost 8 million dollars, WoW cost 80 Million. Jesus. That's in a period of how many years?

f13.net: There were three questions people really want answers to... the first being, why weren't you at the office on launch day?

Brad McQuaid:: Launch day?

f13.net: Apparently they had "cake and champagne."

Brad McQuaid:: In general, I had just found out about future events and what was likely or possible to occur... and it broke my heart. Emotionally, I just couldn't be sitting there celebrating and putting on a big smile when I knew the troubles we might be facing in the future.

f13.net: Next, I was told there was no launch party... Most companies I know, I've been to a few of them, they have launch parties in the face of utter defeat or complete success - what happened there?

Brad McQuaid:: Are you talking about a party for employees or media?

f13.net: Media and employees. A launch party.

Brad McQuaid:: We had hoped to have a big one... well, my favorite one was with Velious. We went to Vegas. We had all the media down one night and a fan-fare another... There were enough things going on with launch and financial realities, that it just wasn't going to work out. I think they had a big hot dog and burger cookout and let everyone go early.

f13.net: And the next party... god, I am a fucking cynic. Why weren't you at the firing party?

Brad McQuaid:: Well, this is going to sound corny but it's true. I would have broken down in tears.

f13.net: I have since discovered that SOE didn't even know it was going to go down like that. They had something else planned, something less cold. You read the interview right?

Brad McQuaid:: The Long and Morbid tale one?

f13.net: Well, let me just read it back. I've now had multiple people say the same thing. It's uncanny. Not a single one of them seem to have embellished. That Andy Platter - who no one knows, they don't even know what he did at Sigil.. Dave Gilbertson, Ryan Elam, and Donna Parkinson - well basically "You're all fired, some of you may be rehired by Sony Online Entertainment" an-

Brad McQuaid:: I know those people and have a great deal of respect for them, but that sounds awful cold the way you said it...

f13.net: No, you don't understand. Everyone said the same thing. I have confirmed it with no less than six people. That they used the phrase "you're all fired." On that day. In a parking lot. My big problem with this is, well, I don't know your relationship with Bill Fisher, but at this event he made a joke about his stock options buying him a new house. I don't even know how you can comment on this.

Brad McQuaid:: I would find that hard to believe.

f13.net: Uhm....

Brad McQuaid:: I think, this is speculation... there was some turmoil on design and Fisher was doing very well and he was one of the people who wasn't let go. If you can imagine perhaps a designer who was let go having some animosity for Bill and maybe hearing that he said something like that or maybe they overheard him sarcastically talking to one of his buddies like "huh, oh, yea, I'm gonna go buy a car now." Ya know, we're not talking those kind of dollar figures I don't think. I can imagine him going "Woo hoo, going to buy a new car" and I can imagine a third party not knowing Bill's sarcastic joke-around with the guys personality and hearing it and taking it in a bad way, you know what I'm saying? I wasn't there. But I sincerely doubt that he said that in the way it's being construed.

f13.net: Going another direction, I know that there was at one point, a coup that was attempted. On the business side, what happened to the relationship with you and Jeff Butler?

Brad McQuaid:: When you work with someone as long as Jeff Butler and I have - a long time... you're basically business partners. You agree on most things but there are certain things you do not agree on. We have been described as an old married couple. So, ya know, we've had our disagreements. In the early days, everything was new and we had all these wild and cool ideas to share with each other. And then after the stress of running a business together and seeing each other everyday, we could complete each other's sentences. We've had our disagreements, but I wish him the best in whatever he's doing.

f13.net: This is something that, well, I've already got the people involved to corroborate... did the affair between April Jones and Jeff Butler actually affect anything in development?

Brad McQuaid:: I'm not going to comment on their personal life.

f13.net: Not their personal life, the office life due to it.

Brad McQuaid:: Uhm, I have a lot of respect for them. In general, I mean, you work together so much and so many hours in game development and it's creative and people have common interests. This guy watches BSG, this guy collects comic books. You make lots of friends. Relationships form that are more serious than friendships. The only way to stop that would be to basically fire people on the spot and draw some line in the sand. I don't even know how to define that, the legalities. Or do what most companies do and forbid relationships. But we're in games, I don't want to work in a dry environment. I want to goof off and have friends. Obviously something like... a scenario like that isn't good for the company. Is there an easy solution... how to not let that occur.

f13.net: I'll be honest, you touched on my next question. I heard that, well, apparently it was an open secret. That's fine. Whatever. It happens in every office. But the real problem was, well, seemed to have been that - Jeff's wife still worked there. How do you... you know, never mind, it needs to come from them.

Brad McQuaid:: It made it worse, that's all I'll say.

f13.net: I'm going to do a 180 here. Apologies. But you're a religious person. You've said that angels and demons not being in EQ while you were there isn't just because of your religious beliefs. What was the core reason?

Brad McQuaid:: There are different symbols, beings, supernatural beliefs - belief systems that people have that are active today in this world. Gods, demons, angels, others. I guess, in a textbook, would be world religions. You can't avoid offending everyone. Let's take angels. Christians generally believe that angels are real. Many other people don't. That they're mythological beings. Most people don't believe that dragons are real. Or that a griffin is real. Putting a griffin in your game though, versus an angel - is much less a problem. What we decided to do was to avoid anything that's from a major religion. There's some fundamentalist Christian that won't let their kid play period. Dragons, dungeons, death. Whatever. There's also going to be more moderate Christians who are going to let them play EQ or DAoC because there aren't demons or angels or something. We're creative enough people, why not just use the plentiful fantasy out there and not elements of major religions. I also wanted to not use symbols, even from dead religions. While I definitely think it would be great to take themes from mythologies like East-Asian, Norse, Egyptian and things like that - let's avoid using an ankh or whatever. Let's come up with our own religion and our own symbol that means life. This is a different world. Maybe we don't have the time or creativity of Tolkien - who borrowed from mythologies. We're not going to make our own huge religion, but at least come up with our own pantheon of gods and symbols and whatnot. That was just one of the things I wanted to do early on - by simply avoiding offending people if we can. To an atheist sure, an angel is no different than a griffin. But Johnny's mom will let him play our game.

I am a Christian so this probably goes back to me seeing 'Deities and Demigods' and kind of being bummed about that even though I still play [D&D]. It would have made me feel better if they had not used - or rather, had other creatures that weren't demons. So, is this kind of like, "if I'm going to be involved in making games, can a kid play this without being bother by it or his parents saying get away from that evil stuff!" That's the origin of it, but by no means is it me trying to hoist my religious beliefs on anybod-

f13.net: That cuts directly to the core of something I've heard from at least a couple employees who are upset. Someone is alleging - and I'm sure I'll get a straight no comment, but please just deal with the question... Did you distribute religious materials and offer promotions based on people who took you up on it?

Brad McQuaid:: Absolutely not. No and no. Nor would I ever.

f13.net: Ok.

Brad McQuaid:: I believe very much in spreading the gospel of Christianity through ones actions. I don't think you're going to force or debate anyone into believing something. It's got to be based on your actions and morals. On top of that in a work environment - and on top of that, in a management position - it is completely unacceptable to do anything like that and I wouldn't dream of it.

f13.net: Fair enough. So, a lot of people talked about this Andy Platter guy. From two people, I got the exact same response. Neither know who he was, or what he did, or why he played any role in the firing of employees. Simply to explain to the employees reading this - who was he and what did he do?

Brad McQuaid:: He was the Director of Operations. He tested servers, websites, and so on. Most of the developers would probably not interact with him. He had also been out of town recently with a family illness. I'll stop there. As for why he was involved in that event, I have no comment because I wasn't there. As the company grew, well, it's another sociological thing. The company gets big enough, it leases another building. Then the people in the first building are like "what do those guys do?" That's just more human nature stuff. If you're a programmer you don't interact with design much. What does that guy do? I haven't seen anything he's done. Is he a waste of space? Well, he could be the best designer on the team. That's just people.

f13.net: I've kind of got a family tree of the company going here and normally this isn't tolerated. I'm trying to figure out - because I know you didn't have final say in a lot of things, specifically hiring practices among non-design folks...

Brad McQuaid:: The larger the company got, the more we had to build up middle management and delegate responsibility.

f13.net: Well, how did nepotism run so freely to the point that - there's just, ugh, so many family members in this company. We've got brothers, brother-in-laws, a wife - how did this happen? Did you need that many people?

Brad McQuaid:: Two answers. I don't know enough about well. I don't have a family tree. I don't know if this is a higher than normal number. You may have that information. I don't. The other thing too is, when you need to rely on somebody or know somebody or vouch for somebody, especially in a creative environment and know how they interact with people... well, you find a lot of pre-existing friendships and relationships. Because so many interests are shared, even some relationships that didn't exist beforehand - it's likely to happen just like it does with MMOs. You spend all this time with people and have a real relationship with people. I honestly don't know if there's more or less in Sigil.

f13.net: Ok.

Brad McQuaid:: We didn't encourage it. We did encourage the general concept of "Hey do you know this guy, can you vouch for him?" "Well yea, I've known this guy six year. He's intelligent and super creative and he won't steal your car."

f13.net: Well of course, there's "I've known this guy 22 years, he's my brother. In secret, he's a big douche."

Brad McQuaid:: That's the risk. And then you find out and you hopefully get rid of both. The industry is not that big. Basically, if you say "hey, I vouch for my brother" and then you hire him and they both turn out to be jerks, ya know, you're gonna hopefully get rid of them. When it comes time to recommendations, it's going to get around. Formally or informally. That stuff doesn't work out so well. More times than not, you get a good person than you get some guy who can't hold down a job.

f13.net: Ok, here's a loaded one. A number of people have said there was one QA member up through at least beta 3 or 4. How did an MMOG survive with one person dedicated to quality assurance.

Brad McQuaid:: The original plan was to use Microsoft's vast testing facility. We were to keep a small testing team at Sigil -

f13.net: But one?!

Brad McQuaid:: No. A small team that was very close to the dev team and use the massive facility at Microsoft. When that relationship went south and we were scrambling for money, we simply did not have the room to grow.

f13.net: Can you talk about The Vision a bit?

Brad McQuaid:: Well, it goes way back to Everquest.

f13.net: Well, we know that.

Brad McQuaid:: I honestly don't know when it started. I probably started using... I think it had to do with something I commented on - why some games - well, you can tell if a development team really had their hearts in it or not, regardless of the type of game it may be. I think for any game, you need a vision. Either a visionary or visionaries and if you don't have that, you kind of meander around and I don't think you get nearly as strong of a game. Or anything. A piece of art. Anything creative. Unless there's a strong vision. My guess is I was doing a long-winded post back in 1999.

f13.net: Finally, is there anything you'd like to say to the people who were let go without warning. You weren't there, and you're the type of guy that would have said... something.

Brad McQuaid:: I'm really sorry it went down that way. The way that it did. I can promise you that I and everybody in upper management did everything they possibly could to avoid this happening. Sigil was everything to us. It was our dream. Starting our own company. Providing a great working environment. You know, we worked months and months - as great as SOE is, and it was great working with them as a partner - as some people said "Brad, why did you sell out to.." We didn't. We had hoped that Vanguard would be more of a success. It turned out we all worked very hard. Did the best we could. I thank everyone for pouring their hearts and souls into the game. I think it's a great game. I think it has huge potential. When I've talked and made posts about the future of Vanguard and talked about Vanguard next year - I do believe that it was planned and architected to be an amazing game. We hoped to do it as our own company. It didn't work out that way. I'm sorry.

As CEO, I take full responsibility and the buck stops here. I did everything I could and so did everybody else to make it work. But it didn't. I hope that everything works out for you guys in the future. If there's anything I can do - recommendations, things like that for all of you guys - please don't hesitate to contact me. I hope that you learned a lot in your time at Sigil and that you've become a more valuable asset in the games industry than when you first started. I wish you guys the best. I'm sorry that I wasn't there the day that people were let go. But honestly, these months have been very, very heartbreaking for me. Emotionally I couldn't have handled it. I would've been sitting there bawling my head off. You can ask anybody who knows me about the heartache I've felt because things didn't work out for the company. I do believe Sony will do a great job. I know they will.

That doesn't make it any easier for someone who lost their job. It's got to be a horrible thing. You can ask people when I had to fire one person who really deserved it, I'd have to take the afternoon off because it was so hard for me. And that was firing someone who deserved it. Laying people off was just too much. I guess I'm too empathic in some ways. I took the role of CEO very seriously, that I was responsible for every person there. Their well-being. It got harder and harder as the company. It was a weight on my shoulders. Please, again, if there's anything I can do to help you out. Do not hesitate to contact me. And I wish you guys the very best.

f13.net: Thank you.

[Addendum: There are sites that are assuming things. Brad already knew about the relationship between April Jones and Jeff Butler. The management at Sigil knew about the relationship and that's why I asked in such a short manner, but the need to clarify has come up. Divorce was already in effect. Jeff and Michelle were seperated and going through a divorce. April was dating Jeff. It was not something that was under lock and key.]

Man Mig, this is just rediculous! I really hope this guy was a least a tad better to work under than he makes himself out to be! " I didnt wanna man up and be there at the firing because Id cry" Give me a break!

And then at the start of the interview he pretty much lays all the blame on MS and " Zoo Tycoon" and how things were handled in coordination with the 360 launch. And then at the end, says he takes full blame. Give me a break. He says that all the time he was out doing this and that instead of actually being there for the game, but as far as I know, noone has verified anything hes said about what he was trying to do in that period of time he wasnt there.

Some strange hiring procedures and a guy that noone else seems to know who he was taking part in the firing. Wow, it really seems like management there was a total trainwreck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:26 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

My personal opinion is that VG is like a 1960's Mercury rusting to shit in the back of some dude's yard. Holes in the floorboard, fenders missing, all the interior cracked to shit. It has pontential, by no means is it ready for chopping up and discarding. It just needs the right mechanic to come along. Forgive me for using this, since it is associated with Brad McQueer, but it needs a real 'vision.'

There is really no lore to speak of, no immersion whatsoever, its buggy as hell, just about every aspect of the game needs a good once or twice-over. The main problem here, is that it was released too soon, with too many problems, and apparently, the leadership consisted of a few micro-managers led by an idiot male cheerleader who was probably at home playing WoW.

His 'position' in the new administration is cosmetic only, and probably an attempt to save face. I'm sure the new regime knows the man is a complete tool. With him out of the way, if they can right the ship, I don't see why VG can't mesh itself into the MMO fold. It won't ever live up to the hype, so there shouldn't even be an attempt to bring it to that level.

I'd say the most difficult part of any sort of rebuilding process will be winning over all of the people that probably feel like they were duped, or betrayed. Basically, its like thousands of people standing in a yard, waiting for a ride in that Mercury. I'm sure by now, many of them are just waiting for the next Yugo to come along just to get them the hell out of there...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:43 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

True about Brad's position now, but I'm gathering that barring his terrible mis-managment, brad hasnt had a whole lot to do with design of the game for at least the past 6 months. Instead a lot of people are saying that the two people that are still in charge now were the ones who were calling the shots then.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:07 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Howdy, Chode.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:09 PM 

Wow they planed to use Microsofts game testing dept??? Its not all its cracked up to be. I test on a regular basis for MS and they kinda suck. Its just a bunch of kids and people with disabilities watching people play games all and and sending them through a bunch of scripted questions at the end. Halo 3 will be no better or worse because of the testing done at MS. It will be the game the devs want it to be.

I found that interesting anyway.

Also found interesting the additional comments at the end. Ive met Brad way back in the day and he seemed to be a really nice guy. Not the kind of guy who could run a good company (IMHO) but nice anyway. I can see him being the kind that gets choked up when he needs to fire anyone and I feel for him because I get the same way. I hate to fire someone because somewhere on their path with my company I feel like I failed them in some respect. Im sure he feels much the same way.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:44 PM 
Noob
Noob

Hey Rosepedal and Neesha. How's it going?

I'm not playing anything at the moment. I played VG for a while (lvl 49), but I've been bogged down with work recently. I don't know if I will play that game again though.

I liked some parts of the game. Miggent did a very good job with the areas that he designed. It seemed like there were a handful of people there, Mig included, who had their shit together. Unfortunately, it seemed that they were in the minority. The guild that I was playing with all got frustrated and quit. Soloing was horribly boring and there was no reason to join another guild since bascially every one was losing people like mad.

It's really too bad the way that things ended up for the Sigil employees...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:51 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
You guys are all blaming Brad like he was stupid and just let things go to hell.

I believe this was the path he was going to take from the beginning. He had this all planned out from day one.

I will bet you that the reason he was absent for the last few months was so he could form another company and do the same thing all over again. Maybe under a different name or something, but he has this shit down pat now and will probably continue to do it.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:26 PM 

Not in this industry. Not today he wont. At best he could hope to be an underling for someone, and even then having his name associated with a product is an instant black flag.

People remember. And when your best source of PR is through the internet, this whole thing will never be forgotten. I hope his pay off was substantial, because in the business he's in, name and rep are pure gold.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:36 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

HIs behavior at Sigil is hardly reason to think he has now a bad reputation within the industry. I mean... come on...

http://phantomentertainment.com/

If that crap can happen. and that dude can get away with it. Brad's rep is still absolute platinum.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 PM 

And not a single gamer you ask would buy into the hype that was the Lapboard, nor, a huge majority of those people you ask would have even heard of what it even is, or rather supposed to be.

That link does nothing more than prove me correct.

You want to see what will happen to Brad if he attempts any venture after this fiasco? Three words.

John Romero, Daikatana.

Last edited by Givin Wetwillies on Sat May 19, 2007 10:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:26 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I wasn't necessarily commenting on the product. so much as the guy who fronted it. and got the money for it.

I seem to recall he had something of a reputation in the industry, not a good one. Yet he still managed to keep coming out and swindling people repeatedly for large amounts of cash.

If a guy with that horrible a reputation from more than one past screw up can get away with screwing the industry. Surely Brad there can get away with it at least once more. Maybe more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:30 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
John Romero, Daikatana.

Bwahahahahahaahh, Daikatana.

Thanks for the laugh, Givin. I'd almost forgotten about that steaming pile.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
And not a single gamer you ask would buy into the hype that was the Lapboard, nor, a huge majority of those people you ask would have even heard of what it even is, or rather supposed to be.

That link does nothing more than prove me correct.

You want to see what will happen to Brad if he attempts any venture after this fiasco? Three words.

John Romero, Daikatana.

It's not even close to Daikatana. After all, Vanguard was actually (sorta) playable.

That being said, Raph Koster has fucked up two major MMOs with the exact same mistakes...and yet there's still talk of giving the fucker more games to shit on.

The biggest reason Brad will be able to do this shit again if he wishes? He has the venture capital. Second biggest reason? With absolutely no disrespect to the many good and talented people that lost their jobs and got thrown under the bus, the people close to him that can help him build these projects did very well. The people tossed under the bus? Brad could hire replacements for most of them next week if he wished, and have no shortage of apps. Some of those same people thrown under the bus might even be people reapplying. People gotta eat, and not everyone can pick up roots and move to another location to roll the dice again.

I wish it wasn't true, but you know it is.

PS: John Romero is still making games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:31 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Romero hasn't worked on a popular game or platform since his days at id. his name has been tarnished since the whole Daikatana fiasco (the biggest title he's worked on since then is Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, and that game was a piece of shit)

Right now, any project Romero is working on is as good as vaporware.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:40 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Vanamar wrote:
Romero hasn't worked on a popular game or platform since his days at id. his name has been tarnished since the whole Daikatana fiasco (the biggest title he's worked on since then is Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, and that game was a piece of shit)

Right now, any project Romero is working on is as good as vaporware.

Just as Brad does and will do again, Romero founded his own company: Slipgate Ironworks.

He still works in gaming. I'm not defending the guy, I'm not saying nor did I say he makes "good games", I'm not saying he should even still be making games. Fact is, the fucker still is making a living in the industry.

And after Daikatana...it's hard to believe that's possible. But that's reality. And the reality is, Brad will form another company and do it again. Will he be able to pull off what he's done before? His 2nd effort wasn't as successful as his first, but it was still 'successful' at least for him and for others close to him. It will be a 'success' for SOE in that it will generate money for them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:54 AM 

Nobody said he will never work again in the industry. I specificly said the best he could hope for would to be an underling.

Any schmuck can start their own game studio. This means nothing. Sure he could probably go cut a check to somebody and copyright him a spiffy name. Maybe "Fervor Games" since he seems hell bent on continuing the ongoing slip and slide of failure.

*see what I did there*

Brad has lost any momentum or sway he enjoyed in the buisness regarding his player base, and I'll bet a large chunk of his investors as well. I'm pretty sure the final payout went to paying off what he owed just to save his kneecaps.

Trust is worth more than gold.

Exactly like Romero, he over hyped his shit, and when it came down to providing, people called him on his bullshit. Now he'll have to settle for selling bootleg Atari 2600 games out the back of his fathers garage to support his cocaine, or in Brads case, BK Stacker habit.

As far as his close crack team of originals? I wish them further sucess in Battlefield 2 and getting into bags of Fritos. Maybe they can go join with Kendrick on the FoH forums and become hecklers too. Everyone knows there was more work and love put into that game in its last year than there ever was during its incubation.

Will he rise again? Maybe. But he'll enjoy the very limited success, if you can call it that that Mr. Romero is enjoying right now. Go play Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows like Vanamar said if you want a taste of what its like to fall from the top of the mountain in this business.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:53 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Monkeystone OWNED the cell phone gaming market. Romero is completely relevant to modern gaming!!!!!one!!11!!. Course, then Stevie Case left him, got knocked up and disappeared....and we all know what happened there don't we?

To call Romero relevant in any fashion is the same as saying Caduseus wrote the book on EQ guild management.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:57 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
To call Romero relevant in any fashion is the same as saying Caduseus wrote the book on EQ guild management.
ouch

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:47 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

These posts are full of half-truths and misinformation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:09 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:

Goddamn, now THAT was funny! :cheers:

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:04 AM 

Romero has essentially been living off his name for the past decade or so. I guess you could call that making a living in the industry... or maybe the popular name industry. You don't need to sell infinite copies to make a living, and some people are probably still holding out hope that THIS one might live up to a small fraction of his original fame.

This was pretty similar to Brad, though. I don't really know the complete story behind all of it, but I'd imagine he was that recognizable figure in a group of people that everyone decided "this was the guy who kicks ass and made the game possible!" when in reality it was the team effort and combination of people.

Humans are strange that way.. you can really take 3 or 4 dumbfucks and come out with something significant when you have a real team effort and coordination.

Offline Profile