What does this button do?

Rift: Bigteeth
Eve Online Handle: Bigteeth
So, I didn't read the patch notes.
    Killed 25 mobs
    Didn't notice my armor was decaying until I opened my equipment sheet
    All my armor was at 73-78%
    Tried repairing, cost? 1 Gold 13 Silver and 30 Copper
    In those 25 Kills, I made 4 Silver 50 copper from the quest, and 3 Silver from items sold, for a total loss of 1 Gold 6 Silver 30 Copper

Nice! Lost 30% of all my money in 15 minutes.

Last edited by Bigteeth on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Vanguard will be the Phantasy Star Universe killer.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:29 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Ultima Online 2007 will be the Ultima Online killer.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:50 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

lol sony

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:46 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Not WE just you...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:08 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

JFC, honestly I had real high hopes for this game but god damn they are starting to suck the fun out of it. Artifical limits completely taking any joy out of twinking AND hurting main characters by not allowing them to use gear and now this.

Seriously....I know they have some talented people, fucking come up with a better money sink then retarded item decay please. What next, am I going to be charged regents to fucking auto attack.

Best of all they put in fellowship (which is a cool concept for some) but for a game that has so many mechanics that prevent power lvl'n they sure just gave a fast way to level up a character. IGE has in that is forsure.

I hadn't played for a week or 2 due to RL but the only thing i am looking forward to at ALL is the fact they fixed my sorc's chaos volley....now i won't kill myself in 2-3 nukes JOY!! I still haven't got to try it out on a raid mob or something of that nature where you can ramp it up to an insane amount of damage. Works perfect with 2boxing a healer :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:52 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

this probably won't make much sense, but i will try...

yes, this is a game. and yes, there is nothing in game that is going to relate directly to real life. however, maybe they are just trying to make this as truely realistic as you can possibly get.

you buy a new pair of jeans. eventually, after wearing and washing the jeans 'x' amount of times, you are no longer going to be able to wear the jeans. that is a statement of fact. seems like vanguard is trying to take that statement of fact and bring it into its game for more realism.

i wear 36x36 jeans. i have obviously grown into that size and am now able to wear them. and obviously, a six year old is not going to be able to fit into them. hence, i cannot give a six year old my jeans and expect him to wear and use them. vanguard calls this 'anti-twinking' and codes it into game, so that you have to be a certain level/age in order to use the item.

maybe i am just in left field, i dunno. and maybe they are doing everything TOO realistic to the point that it is going to scare off a lot of people who may foresee this game as a second life/job. but if you want to be ultra realistic, then let's face it- you should not be able to twink and power level other people. period. of course, from a gaming perspective... you should be able to do anything you want, which includes twinking and power levelling.

-cc

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07 AM 

I have to agree somewhat with CC's post. Not necessarily with the example itself but Vanguard's approach of taking different mechanics another step (or two).

I feel Vanguard has several different mechanics that are a bit and/or unnecessary. They have many surface items, that I feel are essential, I would personally see them working on. I believe the classes themselves need a lot of work. Combat is still boring (visually and conceptional) for what they are claiming to be.

Brad has also mentioned on several occasions how the game does not focus of find Mob A or Camp spot B, rather it is a game about exploration and development as groups and individuals. There isn't a hook present yet, there isn't anything impressive in regards to meeting up with this group, hooking up with a caravan, to get to "some land" to find "this dungeon" and encounter a challenging adventure. That is Vanguard initial selling point.

The recent implementations are nothing to be bragging about unless you start touting some of the executions on your original ideas and concepts. I'm trying to give VG a sporting chance but, to my understanding, Jan 29th is still the date and they are knocking on EQII's door in regards to a future.

This launch is crucial for them. All this fine tuning at a high level business prespective can wait. The overall perception of the game needs to be engulfing and overwhelming or people will go back to TBC or whatever.

My 2cp.

Muli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:51 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

You know as well as I do that its not a mechanic added for "realism", its a mechanic added for timesinkery. Negating twinking and powerleveling removes a substansial amount of "player made content". (Things bored high levels with some cash on hand can do)

Its a godamn video game, not a homework assignment nor a job. Its supposed to be enjoyable, random fucktard restrictions and mechanics simply to milk people for cash or artificially slow them down are exceptionally lame.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:54 PM 
Bridge Dweller

im glad this mechanic is in place i fucking hate twinks and i fucking hate powerleveling.

suck a fat dick.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:19 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

When it comes to twinking, I like the WoW viewpoint. They put required levels on the gear. You can still buy your alt some really nice items but its not like the way everquest used to be with level 1 warriors using some end game weapon and a fungi tunic along with a 35% haste item. Oh sure its fine in a pretty much pure pve game, but when pvp gets into the act you really need reasonable restrictions on it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

vangaurd will not break eq2's back, only thier own. The game is totaly boring, almost everytihng above lvl20 is group related so prepare for hours of LFG. Quest system needs alot of work, the UI is clunky, i just dont feel like i accomplish anything when i log in for an hour or so.

I dont even feel like being logged in for an hour or so most of the time i play with the beta (. I was excited when i was reading up on the game and looking at screen shots, now that ive played it, they can keep it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:48 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I never really understood why there was such opposition to twinking. Most MMORPG's these days seem to be designed with the thought in mind that most players don't seem to like twinking much. Seriously, if you don't like twinking, just don't do it. I remember the utter joy of giving my level 20ish monk a Runed Fighter's Staff after going through EQ's levels the hard way. It was nice not really having to think much about where my exp bar was, and enjoyable to clear out areas easily.

I could see it being a problem with PVP, but you could simply put a level requirement on items that only activates when flagged or in a PVP area(or some similar mechanism).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:26 AM 

Yea I remember seeing a bit of that in EQ where some people were not accepted because they were wearing 1 year later what would have been worn had everyone started fresh. That usually happens later on though. Sucks for the new people, but having an all-twink group is fun too. I tend to think the "l33t only group" happen whether there's twinking or not, since fewer players will have level 20's as their only character later in a game's lifespan. A few months ago I was casually leveling up an alt in WoW and I barely saw anyone doing the lower level dungeons in comparison to what I used to see in the beginning. I could see it being hard for someone outside of a guild or new to the game, as most of the groups are "guild only" or "l33t only". That's without serious twinking. That's just been my experience on one server though, results may vary.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:41 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
The only valid point against twinking so far has been PvP, which I dont think makes any sense. anyone under max level should get pwned in PvP, sure you can be King of the level 14 Warriors in PvP with your Fungi and BoC, but wtf do you do after that? Seems kinda dumb to label twinking a PvP sploit, unless you have some sort of ranking in the PvP that will even affect low levels.

In my time of making twinks, and my god I have made some killer ones, the biggest complaint I've ever got from being the twink, was camping entire zones and not giving others mobs to kill. This is the true reason I believe they are trying to ditch twinking, Anyone remember grouping in Paludal only to see that one twink pull every bandit and slay them all in front of you? That twink was proly me!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:47 AM 

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
Bzalthek wrote:
To play the devil's advocate (because I love twinking) a big complaint I heard over the years is that when you live in a twink playground, newbie players have often been shunned from groups or openly ridiculed for NOT being a twink (and thus not a worthwhile groupmate, can't pull his weight, etc. etc.)

Me, I went through 4 characters in WoW mailing all my gear to my alts. When I began leveling a new toon, I had to spend hours sifting through the crap and selling duplicates or shitty gear because I just didn't have any room to spare.

It's not the older players responsibility to create groups for newbs, twink or no twink. Take out twinking, and who's to say that character would even exist anymore? The person playing may not want to play an alt without twinking. The fact that there's not enough actual newbs to group with is the company's problem, not the players.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:47 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:
i just dont feel like i accomplish anything when i log in for an hour or so.

Never played EQ in the early days, did ya...

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:43 AM 

Xkhanx wrote:
Quote:
i just dont feel like i accomplish anything when i log in for an hour or so.

Never played EQ in the early days, did ya...

Yeah an hour about covered the finding of a group with an open slot and hoofing it out to whatever distant corner of the zone they were located in iirc. Probably the main reason i stopped playing since I found myself trying to solo for crap exp instead of sitting in kc lfg all night long, and getting nowhere since maybe 3 classes could solo efficiently at the time.

Offline Profile