Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
"Vanguard"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:25 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Gameplay may suck, but it's visually quite impressive. It had a good idea too in the beginning. I think you might be a little short-sighted in your assumptions here though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:09 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Yeah I was looking through all the screenshots they have up so far, I am pretty impressed with the graphics... To bad gameplay is getting no attention :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:31 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Abysmul
WoW: Who
Odd, the graphics is one of the things that I was holding as a negative against the game. The characters suck IMHO and I'm really not that impressed with the the rest. Maybe I'll have to give the screenshots another look.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:02 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
They sank their own ship. THey boasted about how awesome the world will look and how their character models will be a cut above the rest.

They are cookie cutter EQ2 models with cloaks. All of the supposed Hi Rez shots posted, especially the ones on the FOH boards do not impress or show any more detail than whats avalable to the public in a mmo already.

Animation is not fluid at all and resemble again, old EQ2 style running. AKA the stuck up the ass trotting effect.

Spell effects and particles are pretty, but so are FFXI's so thats not a breakthrough.

At least 6 months of testing are being cut for a November christmas launch. I WONDER WHO WAS BEHIND THAT MOVE.

What little interest I had in this game after beta is pretty much gone. It will probably be a good game at least playable half a year to a year after launch. At this point in time i'm looking more forward to the Ultima Online revamp.

Who knows tho maybe they will put Vangard on the Station Pass thing and I can try it there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:07 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

The character animation is horrible :shock:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:46 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I played for a full* 15 minutes before deleting the beta 2 weeks ago.

*I think... I am not sure if it was in fact a full 15 min but I think so.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:35 AM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

No shit, Chrsitmas of *this* year? Heh. Helloooooo, Sony. Goodbye, Vanguard.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:07 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I might have mentioned this before, but.....

Maybe I read too much into it, but I saw this "gameplay video" of Vanguard a while ago.

The guy was level 17 apparently, and attacked this mob. It took a good bit of time to kill, using special attacks and whatnot. But at the end of the fight his XP bar didn't move AT ALL.

Maybe I just hate grinding so much that I took it too seriously, but seeing a level 17 char get little or no xp from a mob that took something like 30 sec to kill just scares me the fuck away.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:12 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
They sank their own ship. THey boasted about how awesome the world will look and how their character models will be a cut above the rest.

They are cookie cutter EQ2 models with cloaks. All of the supposed Hi Rez shots posted, especially the ones on the FOH boards do not impress or show any more detail than whats avalable to the public in a mmo already.

Animation is not fluid at all and resemble again, old EQ2 style running. AKA the stuck up the ass trotting effect.

Spell effects and particles are pretty, but so are FFXI's so thats not a breakthrough.

At least 6 months of testing are being cut for a November christmas launch. I WONDER WHO WAS BEHIND THAT MOVE.

What little interest I had in this game after beta is pretty much gone. It will probably be a good game at least playable half a year to a year after launch. At this point in time i'm looking more forward to the Ultima Online revamp.

Who knows tho maybe they will put Vangard on the Station Pass thing and I can try it there.

Where did you hear it was being launched in november? Because it's currently in beta3, they haven't even released the third continent along with probably 1/3 of the races. The level cap in beta right now is 30, and the only content that is really finished is up to about 15 or so. I really don't see how they are going to possibly make a nov launch.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:40 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Hi...

OOW/GoD ring a bell?

They will just put in some block to prevent players from accessing the 'content' that is 'supposedly' there util they can get it finished.

$ > * with sony games. They will put it out unfinished to reap the xmas money. They can't afford to wait another year. Although, they would be wise to wait until after xmas since the WoW expansion will demolish any thoughts of any other MMO making money releasing at that time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:46 AM 

TheDukeOfNuke wrote:
Hi...

OOW/GoD ring a bell?

They will just put in some block to prevent players from accessing the 'content' that is 'supposedly' there util they can get it finished.

$ > * with sony games. They will put it out unfinished to reap the xmas money. They can't afford to wait another year. Although, they would be wise to wait until after xmas since the WoW expansion will demolish any thoughts of any other MMO making money releasing at that time.

No I quit eq during SoL, sorry. :p

I really don't see it happening, everything I've read has the devs saying that they're going to be going through at least 2 more phases of beta. I really don't see that happening in the next 1-2 months. They hadn't even broken 1k users per night on the beta server last time I checked (although that was about 3 weeks ago).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:30 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
I might have mentioned this before, but.....

Maybe I read too much into it, but I saw this "gameplay video" of Vanguard a while ago.

The guy was level 17 apparently, and attacked this mob. It took a good bit of time to kill, using special attacks and whatnot. But at the end of the fight his XP bar didn't move AT ALL.

Maybe I just hate grinding so much that I took it too seriously, but seeing a level 17 char get little or no xp from a mob that took something like 30 sec to kill just scares me the fuck away.

That's because it was a 'grey' con mob, aka one that didn't give xp. :(

So yeah, sounds like the combat system is VERY similar to original EQ...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:17 PM 
Noob
Noob

the origins of the combat systems are from EQ yes, how things are done out will be quite like EQ, however there are some differences then that of EQ.

For starters there is the factor of the perception ability, useable by player and player's targets, if it works how its supposed to (and as of now I haven't seen much suggesting it wouldn't) it will make higher end combat much more entertaining, and much less boring like it is in other current games.

They went back to the very basics and took what wasn't broken and advanced on it, you can't judge a game that is only in a beta phase, especially sence the main focus of these beta phases have been stabilities tests mainly, and the ability to just get the damn game running, beta 4 and 5 are going to be the make or break beta runs, the ones that say how the game is acctually going to play out.

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about the game based solely on the producing company or the graphics or beta gameplay, until you've seen and played the finished product. Thats my opinon at least.

I'm definatly buying it on release. WoW is boring the shit out of me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:31 AM 

SaurmonDarkstrike wrote:
For starters there is the factor of the perception ability, useable by player and player's targets, if it works how its supposed to (and as of now I haven't seen much suggesting it wouldn't) it will make higher end combat much more entertaining, and much less boring like it is in other current games.

Hopefully they can get this working so that it's actually meaningful. I would love to see intelligence and wisdom play a key role. So if there were say two rangers on a raid. One might throw on their int/wis gear so they can better handle the reactive components, while the other one does dps. I know they are going to be fine tuning the combat system, but whether it'll meaningful or not is the question.

Quote:
I'm definatly buying it on release. WoW is boring the shit out of me.

I'll definitly be buying the game too, but probably for different reasons. I'm really hoping for a better community feel from the players in this game (which I think will largly be ex-eq1 players). I'd be willing to play a sub-par game as long as it has a good community.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:24 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I'm starting to think the MMO quality drought is a generational problem having to do with people, and not technology. At this rate, it could be a good 10 years before we see another real breakthrough like Everquest was.

The management at a lot of companies needs to start retiring before attitudes and plans are going to change enough.

Offline Profile