It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:28 PM 

I was scoping Vanguard's website. I didn't see any class descriptions there. Anyone have a link to a fan site that describes them? <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:56 PM 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van...Characters<
>
<
>
wiki.silkyvenom.com/index...rd_Classes<
>
<
>
-Everyone has the right to my own opinion.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 AM 

Some of the descriptions are a little dated. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:49 AM 

Necromancer...oh man...that looks neat.<
>
<
>
Cleric looks interesting, too. I also dig that spells are cast instantly.<
>
<
>
Thanks for posting those links. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:15 AM 

Did you ever play WoW, Bello? Insta-cast spells are everywhere in that game. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:12 AM 

No, I never played WoW. Word from every corner of the earth is that the game was swamped by people that acted like 12-year olds (or maybe they were 12-year olds...I dunno).<
>
<
>
I'm totally hoping Vanguard lives up to the hype. Visually it is a beautiful game. If the gameplay is even half as good as it looks, I'm there! <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:16 AM 

Quote:No, I never played WoW. Word from every corner of the earth is that the game was swamped by people that acted like 12-year olds (or maybe they were 12-year olds...I dunno).<
>
<
>
<
>
Pretty sure you just described every MMO, and the internet in general. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:55 PM 

Probably. <
>
<
>
But I have heard of no other game thus far being accused of being played by 12-years (or their mentality) more than WoW. Not UO. Not CoH. Not EQ. Not AC. Not a single other game more than WoW...by word of mouth anyway.<
>
<
>
And, sure every game and every server are going to have their share of immature players. However, the way everyone has talked about WoW, it would appear that every 12-year old and below on the face of the planet up and left the game they used to play and they all migrated to WoW in one massive exodus. <
>
<
>
Your experience may vary. I am only going by what every person I've talked to about the game has told me. They also talked about the quest system a lot (apparently it is neat...?) but that aspect paled compared to the talk they had about the players' immaturity as a whole. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:05 PM 

You don't even have to interact with the 12-year olds if you get on a server with some friends (for the most part). Of course, if you are on a PVP server, your chances of running into a jackass corpse-camper or griefer increase, but there are people from Lanys who act like this on PVP servers, I am sure, so it isn't limited to 12-year old punk kids. <
>
<
>
If you can see past the farmers and the idiocy from the b-net kiddies, I really think you'd love the game, Bello. You could make a Bello Druid that could be a Jack of all trades, complete with your insta-cast spells, morphing into different forms to suit your needs (cat for travel, bear for tanking, panther for melee DPS/sneaking around, otter for swimming...). You should give it a chance, and save yourself the frustrations that will be... Vanguard... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:27 PM 

Quote:But I have heard of no other game thus far being accused of being played by 12-years (or their mentality) more than WoW.<
>
<
>
Probably because WoW has a player base that pretty much dwarfs anything else out there now. Easy to get a "lot of word of mouth" when there's so many people to give it. <
>
<
>
And yes, WoW can really be a ton of fun if you approach it right and give it a chance. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:06 PM 

Must....resist...WoW...<
>
<
>
Must...hold out...for...Vanguard... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:33 PM 

i plan to try Vanguard, goin to play a necro <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:02 PM 

i am also struggling with whether or not i should go for wowarcraft, bello. lots of friends are into the game now, and have started out in the past month. plus i know a lot of people already at max level and working towards current end game content. the pressure is there, for sure... heck, even zatronn has been talking bout wowarcraft as well. <
>
<
>
but i dunno, i have fought off the temptation so far. then again, i still get the occasional urge to re-install everquest (again)...<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:25 AM 

If you're new to WoW, it will be fun when you start.<
>
<
>
WoW is a good game. It took me a long time to come to that conclusion but I finally did.<
>
<
>
Besides if you start now you'll be 60 before the new expansion hits. That, and you can reach 60 without ever having to group. (and do it pretty quickly) <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:26 AM 

Quote:That, and you can reach 60 without ever having to group.<
>
<
>
How is that a good thing? <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:13 AM 

It's a good thing because generally you'll be starting on a server with your friends who will more than likely already be 60 and raiding. Rather than force you to intereact with downy morons, you can solo your way to 60 and join your friends.<
>
<
>
Forced interaction isn't necessary in all aspects of a game. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:08 AM 

hell i soloed all my lvls in EQ1 and most in EQ2 also. EQ1 i also soloed almost all of my 1100+ aa. Pretty much only grouped for LDONs and raids. <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:57 AM 

Quote:heck, even zatronn has been talking bout wowarcraft as well.<
>
<
>
I should hope so, he's one of Vita's best Rogues. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:02 AM 

Quote:<
>
How is that a good thing?<
>
<
>
<
>
I always find this argument against WoW to be the most interesting, considering for years all we did is hear is bitching from the EQ community any time they tried to take soloing away from a class. Now there is a game where you can solo when you want and group when you want, and that is a bad thing too.<
>
<
>
I just think gamers are never satisified. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:27 AM 

well there's downsides to soloing all the time.<
>
<
>
1) my warrior Jinkazama is level 44 and I got an Uldaman group. I'm expected to tank so I start whacking things with my executioner's cleaver.<
>
<
>
The end. Sleeper server<
>
Insanelee - 20 bard<
>
Isshin - 1 druid<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:32 AM 

The problem I have with wow is that the increased kill rate of a group doesn't make up for the exp penalty. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:12 PM 

Quote:I always find this argument against WoW to be the most interesting, considering for years all we did is hear is bitching from the EQ community any time they tried to take soloing away from a class. Now there is a game where you can solo when you want and group when you want, and that is a bad thing too.<
>
<
>
I just think gamers are never satisified.<
>
<
>
Believe it or not, what the general community wants isn't always what's good for the game. I'm sure if you asked everyone in the Barrens, "Who wants free epics?!?!?!" everyone would say yes, but that wouldn't exactly be good for the game. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:53 AM 

And once Blizzard ganked away the ability to solo, all you would hear is endless bitching about the fact you can't. That's pretty much my point.<
>
<
>
There is no win for them. Make a game totally exclusive, the hard core gamers are happy but the casuals are annoyed. Make a game that is casual, the hard core raiders are bored and leave but the casuals are happy. Make a game that forces grouping, people get pissed when they can't "just log in and achieve something without a 9 hour time commitment", but if you remove that restriction, suddenly people are bitching about how the game feels disconnected because they aren't forced to group. <
>
<
>
<
>
Of course, there is the fact that blizzard is already having success with their product that blows EQ (and other games) away. So perhaps catering just slightly to your target market (all players) makes sense while not destroying the core of your game....a line Blizzard is walking very well right now. They don't really force you to do anything. They just give you the tools to let the game be exactly what you want it to be. From the hardcore raiders to the casual players to the soloers and the social hunters. They covered it all. If you can't find what you want in it? You failed. Not them. They found the way out of that problem.<
>
<
>
Of course, things being what they are...gamers still bitch. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:25 AM 

Big problem with hard core gamers is lots would like to go back to eq1 but none will admit it(kinda like the fucking a fat chick thing). Most folks are so far outta content and really no way now to catch up in gear. Those folks will most likely go to Vangaurd to check out the end game there.(blah blah omg but SOE blah blah get over it)<
>
<
>
On a side note, the day blizz takes away the ability to solo is the day they shoot themselves in the face. <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:51 AM 

Our guild in WoW is a "family-raid-casual" guild. On a average nothing special night we'll have 30+ on line of all levels. We have people that never group and have solo'd all the time, we have people that mostly PVP, we have some that group but don't raid, and we have a group of a dozen plus that raid with allies (ZG and AQ 20 and MC so far). <
>
<
>
I'd say WoW has something for most MMORPG gamers... well at least for 6 million + of us. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 AM 

Vanguard Rangers,<
>
<
>
The Vanguard Ranger: Defined <
>
<
>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<
>
<
>
The Vanguard Ranger: Defined<
>
<
>
<
>
I recently had the opportunity to ask Darrin "Talisker" McPherson, Senior Game Designer in charge of class design, a few questions about Vanguard's Ranger. What I learned is not only detailed for ranger fanatics, but for all Vanguard players. The ranger role will once again carry a lot of options and utility which any party can benefit from. A ranger can go from being a mean damage dealer, to being able to dodge a handful of enemy attacks, to buffing the party. But be warned, this is not your typical ranger class. The unique combat system of Vanguard is adding some very interesting abilities in the ranger's arsenal that don't just make it an effective class, but a fun one to play. Enjoy!<
>
<
>
This interview is filled with so many details it is being cut into two posts. How awesome is that?<
>
<
>
1) The role of the ranger has varied a lot through the years. From computer games, pen and paper RPGs, to famous rangers in literature. What can you compare Vanguard's ranger to that players may be familiar with?<
>
The Vanguard Ranger is the ranger of tradition. A mix of Drizzt and Legolas, if you will. They excel at martial and ranged combat equally. Players may have a preference of style, but there will be times when one of the two is more appropriate. They are also closely tied to nature and will have the abilities to match those ties.<
>
<
>
2) There is a very famous quote amongst the Vanguard ranger community that Brad McQuaid said a while ago. "What do you want to focus on as, for example, a ranger. Do you want to be the bowmaster? Or how about the dual wielding damage dealer? Or how about the scout with incredible perception and other abilities/spells that help you determine what lays ahead, or where something went. While Rangers are Rangers, you will be able to specialize to a degree, and certainly focus on one skill or the other, as well as focusing on collecting one type of item over the other (although I'm sure the power gamer will max in it all)." Is this quote still accurate in Vanguard's vision of the ranger presently?<
>
The quote is almost exactly what we have, which is cool because this is the first I’d heard it. As I stated in the previous answer, Rangers are at home wielding twin blades or a long bow. You never need to make the decision between the two, at least not on the high level. There are smaller decisions (like which weapons you specialize in and where you spend you attribute points) that will affect these two as well as your ability to be the scout. Stealth will be an ability that all Rangers have and if they invest in the skills and spend their attribute points in perception related attributes, then they can become the reconnaissance geared Ranger. So yes, you can be the Bowmaster, but that does not mean that your melee skill will suffer significantly.<
>
<
>
3) What will a typical group find appealing about the ranger class?<
>
The Ranger
ings myriad things to the group. The most basic is damage, which all light fighters
ing to one degree or another. Others include specialized bow attacks that allow the Ranger to pacify NPCs, preventing them from assisting their fellows, or their tremendously powerful first strike ranged attack. Rangers
ing buffs, small heals and many other offensively related abilities to the party.<
>
<
>
4) Can you give an idea of what the ranger's abilities will be? How will they be differ when compared to another offensive fighter? <
>
The Ranger, as stated earlier, is very geared towards nature. The Vanguard Ranger is more tied to nature than any similar class before. Even his melee attacks will be flavored with nature magic.<
>
<
>
The Ranger has a large number of unique abilities and features. The first is the progressive combat forms. Simply explained, the longer a Ranger fights the same target, the better and more effective he becomes. Fighting offensively? Stick with the same target, observe its style and learn how to most effectively beat it. A Ranger who has observed the same target for good deal of time becomes the best (of all the light fighters) at avoiding incoming attacks and can dish out some serious damage.<
>
<
>
The Ranger also has a unique method of creating combat chains. You start with 3 basic attacks, which serve as “openers�. Simply: Openers, or opening attacks, “open� attack chains. These three attacks are nature themed. Example names are Blade of Summer, Blade of Winter and Blade of Storms. You then have 3 “
idge attacks� which serve to connect an opener with a finishing move. Each of these is themed for the basic types of attacks there are: Smashing, Thrusting, Slicing. Each of these
idges acts differently based on the opener that was used to open them. Blade of Summer followed by Smashing might equal a high damage attack that deals fire damage in an area. Storms and Thrusting might lower your agro greatly. Winter and thrusting might freeze your opponent. There are lots of options and choices.<
>
<
>
The ability to “forage� useful things from your surroundings will also be a staple Ranger ability. Use “forage� to find components for ranger-only arrows and bolts, or herbs that make your heals more effective.<
>
<
>
5) We know the ranger is the most skilled archery class. But mechanically, how are they superior? Is it through general damage, abilities, or both? And will the archery skill play an important role if the ranger is assigned to pull?<
>
They are superior in a few ways. One is simple skill. Rangers will gain more upfront archery skill than any other class. Because ranged weapons and ammunition require skill to use them, the Ranger can use long bow type weapons far earlier than any other class.<
>
<
>
The second is the way ranged combat works for Rangers. Their shots are typically more powerful and take less time to aim. When they are required to aim for long periods of time (long being 8-12s) then they are greatly rewarded by extra damage or extraordinary effects. For most classes, aiming makes them very vulnerable to attacks and does not allow movement of any kind. Most of the Ranger’s bow attacks allow for him to move and he is far less vulnerable. Ranged combat for Rangers is night and day when comparing them to other classes.<
>
<
>
Ranged attacks include lulling shots, AE shots, extreme damage sniper shots, cone shots (multi arrow shots), fast shots and stopping (rooting) shots. Again, there are lots of options.<
>
<
>
6) The ranger is known for being useful in and out of combat. What kind of skills does the class have outside of combat that will make the class desirable to play?<
>
Forage, Stealth, Tracking, Healing, and Curing (poisons) are all things that the Ranger
ings to the out-of-combat table.<
>
<
>
7) As suggested by earlier interviews, do you plan to have an escape mechanism for rangers such as the monk's feign death or the rogue's escape ability?<
>
Rangers will not have the Get Out of Jail free card that “feign death� provides – Rogues won’t either for what it’s worth. Rangers (and Rogues) will have abilities to shed unwanted agro so they can preserve the order of combat (that order being, healer heals the tank). These abilities will allow for agro reduction, but not agro elimination. As I said earlier, if you get too much agro, the Blade of Storms and Thrusting might be the way to go.<
>
<
>
Every class has some sort of secondary pool like mana, endurance, and chi. What type of pool does the ranger use, and how does affect their gameplay?<
>
Rangers have both endurance and mana. Endurance is used to cost melee and ranged attacks. Mana is used to cost spells.<
>
<
>
9) What attributes does the ranger need to keep in mind? In some games the role is based primarily on strength, sometimes dexterity, and sometimes just about everything.<
>
Dexterity will allow you to hit. Strength determines your damage. These are both very important. After that, constitution and agility are safe bets. Avoiding damage and higher hitpoints always come in handy. Intelligence and wisdom will aid you in perceiving hidden or stealthed creatures that could cause your party problems. Wisdom also determines your maximum amount of mana. Some attributes certainly have priority, but all are useful.<
>
<
>
<i></i>