It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:24 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cool...very cool
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:11 AM 

I know the graphics for Vanguard don't look much different from EQ2, but that is the limit of generation of graphics we live in right now, while still allowing those with lower level systems to play.<
>
<
>
With this being said, it is definitely the gameplay (well the promise of) that is drawing me to this game.<
>
<
>
Inerview with Brad with GU Comics can found Here<
>
<
>
Quote:Woody:<
>
So, if a character can't buy their success, does Sigil have a design plan in place to help keep the more casual player "on the level" with their power gaming friends? If so, can you expand on it beyond what we already know? Or do we need to wait for that at E3?<
>
<
>
Brad:<
>
Well, it's not really our total goal to keep the more casual gamer on par with the gamer who can devote more hours and/or is more talented or connected in-game and therefore achieves success more quickly. Again, this ties into what makes the game feel immersive -- when you see someone with higher end items on, the player thinks to himself, wow, I want to earn one of those one day. So while we do have areas in Vanguard more designed for the casual player, the rewards (and the risks) in those areas will absolutely not be on par with the risk and reward that exists in the group and raid areas of the game.<
>
<
>
It is about time is all I can say. I got decently far into EQ but I never got all the planes in POP done because I am in the military and I could not play very much at that time. That is my problem...when you make the game easy, the game goes stale much faster. I hope Vanguard sticks with the above statement.<
>
<
>
Also:<
>
<
>
Quote:Woody:<
>
So, are there plans to crank it up further than that? I mean, soulbound items, items tied to a character's level, etc. all crimp the process of selling virtual items, but doesn't actually stop that process. With Vanguard being hailed as a "next generation" MMOG, is there a "next generation" solution we can look forward to?<
>
<
>
Brad:<
>
There are other avenues to explore in terms of enforcing our EULA, but I’m afraid it’s too early to talk about them or give away any of the details. Suffice it to say we’re taking the entire situation very seriously and pursuing what avenues we can.<
>
<
>
<
>
I am speculating that this means there may be a penalty for "IGE'ing / Playerauctioning" not only from the sellers standpoint, but the buyer's side as well. I could be wrong...what you guys think? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Cool...very cool
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:44 PM 

Brad won't go into details about this but has been quoted numerous times that they will be be going well beyond what any other game has done in the past to protect the game itself and its players from IGE and the like. While its not totally stoppable there is definatly means a company can take to really crack down on this shit. Just takes time and resources, which most companies don't find worth it since they always think bottom dollar but I think in a lot of things Brad and Company are looking at the LONG picture and protecting the game...which might be a good idea since initial sales really fail in comparison to some one shelling out 15 bucks a month for 5 years.<
>
<
>
As far as casual vs power...god bless Brad. I may or may not be playing hardcore since I am moving to phx and starting a job and buying a house and all that fun jazz but even if I do become the "casual" player I sure as fuck don't want to be 1/100th of what a power gamer is. I like the ideaTchi with one of the only TS on the server being a god in comparison to the 1000 alt monks running around the server.<
>
<
>
The only issue is going to be how much MS steps in and fucks things up, if Greedy Gates lets Brad run the show and realizes it might take a few years to fully see the full return on this baby this game should turn out to be what "I" have been looking for....and I would be damn happy with 400-500k player base if that who play for the next 5+ years , hopefully mr. bill will be to busy counting his money to fuck this up. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:48 PM 

hes worth like 50 billion, with that kinda money I sure as shit wouldn't give a care if I was losing a few mil a year... <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:24 PM 

Im sorry but are you really getting excited over an interview where he basically says "Well I can't talk about it, but it will be good...I promise!"?<
>
<
>
This game plays like shit on the top end systems they use to demo it. Everything else that they have discussed is just hype. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:01 AM 

Quote:Im sorry but are you really getting excited over an interview where he basically says "Well I can't talk about it, but it will be good...I promise!"?<
>
<
>
This interview is about companies like IGE and Playerauction. If I was Brad yeah I wouldn't say shit until release, why give these companies a heads up on what they are up against by giving away your gameplan. <
>
<
>
Quote:This game plays like shit on the top end systems they use to demo it. Everything else that they have discussed is just hype. <
>
<
>
I hate to
ing it up because the game did take a dive after a few months for the most part, but EQ2 was like this 2 weeks before release. People swore they would not play it because it was choppy and no low end systems could handle it. At release although very demanding, the game was light years ahead of where it was 2 weeks prior and alot of people were amazed. This game is in Beta 0, graphics, smoothing, and detail is last on the list...I am sure the game will be just fine when it is released. Will it be as forgiving as WoW? Prolly not. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:52 PM 

/off topic ...<
>
<
>
/pokes the shamie. Email me Hon <
>
<
>
/back to your regularly scheduled debate "we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" O'Shaughnessy<i></i>

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:08 PM 

I think MS Gaming will be too busy busting their balls wondering why their console is getting destroyed again in the market to care about who is running the show.<
>
<
>
The moment this game gets slated as a 360 exclusive online title is the day I piss any hope away that they might be able to pull it off. Again, I hope it does well. But in todays market, its still all about the dollar signs, not like back when they made everquest on a hope and prayer that something they thought was fun would turn into a lucritive money machine.<
>
<
>
As far as IGE goes.....<
>
<
>
Heh, we've heard it all before from every mmo developer out there. They will right the wrongs of injustice and protect their shit. <
>
<
>
Yeah right. You don't cut off the hand that is feeding you. Virtual sales will stop when dumbasses figure out its themselves causing the problem by buying, not the sellers. I hate chinaman sellers as much if not more than the next
o, but seriously if there wasn't money being made here nobody would do it. Maybe if some way they can put the fear of God into the buyers and kick them in the balls for doing so, they can curb it somewhat.<
>
<
>
I honestly doubt it tho. They are going to need every dollar they can get on release and probably up well into the first year. This includes the chinamen. <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:22 AM 

Off the subject, but have you ever sold gold/items in EQ, Givin? I thought I remembered a post from you saying you had made X amount of dollars way back when.<
>
<
>
ps: Vanguard will be the Myst 7 killer. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:09 AM 

Yeah, just the Fallen Legacy guildbank remember.<
>
<
>
EDIT.<
>
<
>
Oh yeah. I did trade a TBB, 10k Plat, an Evil Eye Bag/Burlap Sack and a full suit of Cleric Temple of Solusek Ro armor for Castlevania:Symphony of the Night for the PSX.<
>
<
>
I washed money a few times and took a cut. But nothing that incited any dramas sorry. All my guildbanking practices were 100% legit. As far as my fortunes made in EQ went. I had upward of about 50 mil or so in cash and items when I said fuck it for the last time. I wasn't Maldan, but I was a pretty well known vendor in the Bazaar who always had the hotness for sale.<
>
<
>
So nope, I wasn't maldan and I never stole a guildbank. I did learn how to make money in EQ from Maldan by buying and selling to him and watching how he delt with other people. I do remember on one thread talking about I could have possibly made upward of 3k a week cash if I wanted to based simply on the amount of money that changed hands through me so rapidly that skimming it would have been easy and never missed.<
>
<
>
The only guildbank money that went "missing" was about 400k plat of the FL guildbank that got pushed back when the merger happened because there was no way in fuck I was handing it over to Cad and crew knowing it would have just been stolen. "and it was, twice". Plus it ended up fueling CQs return in Bazaar gear. By that time I had more than enough cash for myself and crew from farming and selling fungi tunics since everyone was scared again over a rumor they were going to be no drop next patch. <
>
<i>Edited by: Givin Wetwillies01 at: 11/6/05 12:15 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:09 PM 

A sold account pays more money than a cancelled account, and game companies know this. End of story, really. <i></i>