It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:54 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:55 PM 

I can fly.<
>
<
>
Not much more than that, though. You can't even @#%$ jump in Guild Wars (though the Elaine dance crack me up every time) and a magic mania fest like EQ still doesn't allow this classic ability to exist. Wish I could WoW from the sky but must be disappointingly content with a mount.<
>
<
>
CoH can also be fun as a simple blast fest for a little while to work out frustrations but the tedium of leveling sets in quite soon then it's back to not cleaning my room and other chores that need to be done. That or filling up another CoH server with more funny character creations I'll never play. Sometimes it's worth it just to make a character that will get laughs or cries of outrage in Atlas Park.<
>
<
>
In any case, flying high among the clouds is a joy every game should adopt. For @#%$'s sake, if you've reached the maximum level allowed in a game, they should give people the ability to fly over and survey the land they've trudged through time and again if for no other reason than to see it from a bird's eye view for a change. Griffon rides don't count! Even if you can zoom in to 1st person and turn off the UI. Prophet of Vita Infinita - Retired<
>
Yaegore, Elemental Shaman - Blackhand<
>
Ygorr, Wandering Mage - Uther<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:45 AM 

I agree, flying is the @#%$.<
>
<
>
I also liked the super jump, though it's not as cool as flying. (Though it's a @#%$ of a lot faster).
<
>
Keep my head from exploding?... You can help!
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:18 AM 

Hell, even Super Speed is the dagnabbity compared to most modes of transportation in any other game. Prophet of Vita Infinita - Retired<
>
>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:56 AM 

Stop, you're making me consider installing it again, just for the hell of it, heh.<
>
<
>
Not that I have the time... haven't even played a *console* game in a month. Bleh... stupid work. -D<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:57 AM 

Flying Hamster!<
>
<
>
I had cancelled since WoW came out but started back up recently when they put in the pvp arenas. I've only pvp'd a couple times because I forgot how fun the rest of the game can be.<
>
<
>
Plus 2 new classes that open up once you hit 50.<
>
<
>
Plus some new costume features and additional scaling of the model itself.<
>
<
>
Plus flying.<
>
<
>
Plus Recall Friend. Amazingly, I seem to be one of the few people playing the game to make the sacrifice of getting the Teleport power pool just to get this wonderfully convenient ability. A must for healers, imo, for when people die stupidly and you barely get away to tp them out and rez. Oh and Fly + tp ftw. Next mission!<
>
<
>
Did I mention flying?<
>
Prophet of Vita Infinita - Retired<
>
>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:35 AM 

Well, I had a scrapper with super jump and a defender with super speed. I always did think flying looked a little slow, but thoroughly enjoyed bouncing from rooftop to rooftop or just blazing right past everything.<
>
<
>
Maybe one of these days I'll reactivate and mess around with a new char, considering they keep sending me e-mails talking about new char creation stuff, etc. -D<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 AM 

Flying is slow unless, like everything else, you slot it up. I used the free respec to redo a lot of things and ended up with 5 slots on Fly (1 endurance reduction + 4 fly speed) and I tool along now at a good pace. I've not raced anybody but now I'll look into it.<
>
<
>
I was recently educated about the Fitness pool and how having Stamina max slotted will alleviate most endurance problems so I will be replaceing the endurance reduction on Fly with another speed to go even faster. Eventually I might put the last slot in there but no rush since I'm happy with the current speed.<
>
<
>
This is on my highest level character (out of about 6 that I enjoy playing) - 33 empathy/dark miasma defender Prophet of Vita Infinita - Retired<
>
>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:47 PM 

I was just sucked into this little trap myself. Someone had a 14day trial key and I started it up for shits and giggles. <
>
<
>
<
>
Pretty much gonna be taking a
eak from WoW for the time being because of it too. My highest char so far is 11'ish but combat jumping from rooftop to rooftop was enough to sell me.<
>
<
>
Don't know if it's something i'll still be playing in 6mo but for now it's a nice change from the usual MMO. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:20 PM 

I'm about to give this a shot. Any particular server I should try out? Lord Ssoth<
>
<
>
Their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified the mythology of rights...<
>
and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can survive.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:44 AM 

CoH is a fun game to play.<
>
<
>
Just when you get to the end content, it lacks even more than WoW.<
>
<
>
City of Villains due Oct 30th will most likely
ing a lot of players back.<
>
<
>
I wouldnt expect the next major WoW expansion until after December. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:19 AM 

Played a bit last night. Got my Tanker to 6 before exhaustion kicked in.<
>
<
>
I think I've found my replacment for EQ. Lord Ssoth<
>
<
>
Their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified the mythology of rights...<
>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:58 PM 

Personally, I've got 3 servers full of characters and another server half full. Character creation itself is fun and doesn't take all day unless you're a friend of mine who spends literally 4 to 6 hours on costume design and still feels there's not enough options. You could try to make some quick cash by hanging out in Atlas Park with your most creative looking character. There are costume contests quite often and 1st prize is typically 1 mil. Edit: The contests are always held by players so you are subject to their personal taste.<
>
<
>
Soloing is fine but the best action (and safest unless there's more than one idiot along for the ride) and fastest xp is in full 8 man groups. Task Forces are basically an 8 man raid that goes through many missions so be ready to spend a few hours if you happen to join one.<
>
<
>
City of Villains will be stand-alone and not a true expansion. Unless they plan to move characters, more than likely everybody will be starting at level 1 again in a whole new game.<
>
<
>
If you're in need of help or have questions while in game, feel free to look up Murkweave or Archon of Hope on Infinity server.<
>
<
>
A few suggestions on character deveopment:<
>
<
>
If you have any type of heals, put extra slots on them as early as possible for the most healing power.<
>
<
>
At level 14, you get access to a major movement power: Fly, Super Jump, Super Speed or Teleport. Teleport is not nearly as great as it sounds and uses a lot of energy just to get across a zone. Before you can get the major move, you must first get one of the two lower level powers in the appropriate pool, so plan ahead. You can hold off until level 12 to get one of those lower powers, if you like. Just pick a pool by level 12 so you can get the good stuff at 14.<
>
<
>
Try to get the Fitness power pool if at all possible. The speed and health regen are nice but Stamina (available at level 20 if you have the pool) is what many people require mandatory with max slots as soon as possible. Once you achieve that, your energy problems will not be so bad. Prophet of Vita Infinita - Retired<
>
>
Ygorr, Wandering Mage - Uther<i>Edited by: Uhgree Bugga at: 6/21/05 11:00 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:18 AM 

Honestly, I think they could add a few more costume styles. I like the selection, but if you're going with a certain archetype it tends to be a little limited.<
>
<
>
I also think they should add a few more powers to make things a little more specialized. Lord Ssoth<
>
<
>
>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:13 AM 

I may re install this.<
>
<
>
I have a 37 fire / devices blaster ( made before they became chic and nerfed to hell and back ), and a 44 ish fire / kinetic controller ( again made before they got nerfed too bad ).<
>
<
>
I didnt stop because of the nerfs, nor did i pick the archtypes because of the power... i just liked the fire effects, and i dont like melee characters in games in general (which excluded me from tanks and scrappers ).<
>
<
>
I also have a 20 ish radiation / electric defender.<
>
<
>
Mabye i will re install and try it. It was tedius at the higher levels, but the solo power of my fire / kin controller was truely amazing.. and he was also really good in groups.<
>
<
>
<
>
As for mechanics, unless they have changed it in the several months i have been gone, stamina is good for everyone, even scrappers who have a separate ability to get a similar power.<
>
<
>
Fly is a cool ability, but super jump is MUCH more fun, and faster as well. The absolute fastest travel combo is super jump with super speed. <
>
<
>
With that combo of travel powers (and super speed reduces your agro range too, so good for controllers), you can leave your flying friends in the dust, yet still get up high to see stuff. Its even faster than teleport, which is touted as the fastest travel but has end issues (again unless they changed it ).<
>
<
>
<
>
Darn.. i am going to have to try this again.. i really did enjoy my time in CoH, i just got bored soloing by myself and all of my friends quit. I never quite made it to 50 either. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:42 AM 

What did they do to fire blasters? I've thought of going back every once in a while to play my Fire/Ice Blaster and am curious. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:13 PM 

They were talking about nerfing the way aoe is calculated ( most fire blasters take the aoe type powers like
eath of fire ).<
>
<
>
They changed caltrops several times from the devices tree (it became mostly useless, but you didnt need caltrops to aoe a pack of 8-10 minions anyway ).<
>
<
>
<
>
This was a long time ago, so i never knew if they got around to nerfing aoe the way all the whiners wanted them to. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:57 PM 

Heh I had a fire dev blaster back around launch too that I got up to 30 or so before I quit, and I have to admit he was pretty overpowered with caltrops, smoke grenade, and those aoe fire powers. Anyway I just started playing again with the free trial since I never bothered unistalling coh, having a good time so far with a dark arts/regen scrapper on victory. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:29 AM 

My Blaster (The Big Hurkin' Hat!) was Assault/Ice, neither of which were horribly nerfed. Maybe I'll turn him back on when I get bored of WoW (which I could time with a stopwatch right about now). Tranthas Stormwalker<
>
<i></i>