It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Personal Responsability.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:28 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Personal Responsability.
We all played EQ, and to some extent, we got hooked for a while, but, who's fault is that? Any company who makes any product, if it wants to be successful, and does what it can so the consumers will use their product. If they do too good of a job, should they be punnished?

How about in this case?

Quote:
Addicted Gamer Sues Game-Maker, Says He is ‘Unable to Function’(Link)

A federal judge is allowing a negligence lawsuit to proceed against the publisher of the online virtual-world game Lineage II, amid allegations that a Hawaii man became so addicted he is “unable to function independently in usual daily activities such as getting up, getting dressed, bathing or communicating with family and friends.”

Craig Smallwood, the plaintiff, claims NCsoft of South Korea should pay unspecified monetary damages because of the addictive nature of the game. Smallwood claims to have played Lineage II for 20,000 hours between 2004 and 2009. Among other things, he alleges he would not have begun playing if he was aware “that he would become addicted to the game.”

Smallwood, who did not immediately respond for comment, alleged that the company “acted negligently in failing to warn or instruct or adequately warn or instruct plaintiff and other players of Lineage II of its dangerous and defective characteristics, and of the safe and proper method of using the game.”

Released in 2003 as a sequel to the original Lineage game, which was a national phenomenon in South Korea, Lineage II is an immersion 3-D MMORPG that gained a reported 600,000 users within a few years, and is still being regularly expanded and updated six years later — all the better to turn more vulnerable Americans into bleary-eyed shut-ins.

U.S. District Judge Alan Kay refused to dismiss parts of Smallwood’s complaint this month, possibly clearing the way for a trial. ”In light of plaintiff’s allegations, the court finds that plaintiff has stated a claim for both negligence and gross negligence,” Kay ruled.

An attorney for the company was not immediately prepared to comment on Kay’s August 4 decision. But in a Tuesday court filing, NCsoft again urged the judge to dismiss the case.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:22 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
If this works I'm sueing HBO for making too many good shows.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:35 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
I'll let Neesha tackle the grammatical errors, but suffice to say that any gamer who blames a game company for their addiction needs a good, swift kick in the nuts.

I'd volunteer to do it, but I think this particular Lineage II gamer doesn't have any.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:45 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Let's just start with the title. This is General, so at least he can edit it.

"responsibility"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:18 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
If you get addicted easily and do not know how to manage that then it's a real problem that you should get help with. That doesn't mean you should sue the person that created the thing you became addicted to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:33 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

The mystery to me is how he got addicted to *Lineage 2*.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:12 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

EQ1: Aryianna
This is very similar to Shawn Wooley's story whose mother, Elizabeth, blamed Sony for her son's suicide, claiming that EQ's addictive nature was the cause.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:28 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
This is very similar to Shawn Wooley's story whose mother, Elizabeth, blamed Sony for her son's suicide, claiming that EQ's addictive nature was the cause.

On Sullon Zek, whenever someone whined about something or was just terrible, it was commonplace for someone to inform them that they should use the "Shawn Woolley Solution" for their problems.

I always felt terrible, but I laughed occasionally. ><

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:16 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

This reminds me of the fat woman who sued McDonald's for making her overweight lol

Offline Profile