It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Worst EQ Memory
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:16 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

We focus so much on the positive around here, I thought we needed some negativity :)

For anyone that regularly ran raids or a guild, you can certainly relate to some of the frustrations. There are some definite moments I can think of...

Working up to Xegony for a couple hours, summoning bodies, wiping, trying, wiping... ugh. Camping Emp Ssra, being raced, losing, being raced, winning only to be trained, etc. But, those were all tolls of the road I guess.

But, the one memory that for some reason stands out to this day is this one:

I was in Toledo on a contract for my company. I played at the office because I didn't have internet or computers in my temp apartment. I would spend an hour or two every night using SeeEQ (or whatever that thing was that let you see the zone on a second box) to run through all the zones and check what bosses were up and where other guilds were. I would then make a plan of action and start sending out communications. I would move necro-bots, mage-bots, and cleric-bots in place as needed.

This night was Plane of Fire night. The two birds were up and all the other bosses. From about 6pm to midnight, we chain wiped to the birds. At this point, I want to say we had beaten PoTime... or were getting close to getting into PoTime.

I just remember leaving the office at midnight exhausted, frustrated, and mostly hating life. I remember thinking, "fuck it, I'm deleting this stupid game and never playing." I also remember thinking, "I can't do that, I've worked too hard to build this toon." And then, I remember this strange wave of melancholy in the grim realization that the toon was not real. I wasn't delusional prior (thinking it was real), but that was the moment where I realized most of this was largely pointless. We continued on for a while, and when Gates of Discord came out, I tried to keep playing, but eventually petered out

That was my darkest EQ moment.

And for the record, there were tons of fantastic moments, but I am more curious what your "fuck it" moments were.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Your Worst EQ Memory
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:26 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I don't have such a specific memory, but one incident that stands out involves a time when Dolalin was finally booted from Vita (I don't remember the reason, I think it was loot-related). There was lots of chaos involved and I wasn't in on the actual booting, but then Dolalin told me it was a mistake and he wasn't supposed to be booted, so I re-inivited him (Vita was lead by a Council of a few folks, and 2 of 'em got together and booted Dolalin without telling everyone). When I logged in and reinvited him, the backlash from those other 2 Council members (Hurm and Marton?) was awful. They both deguilded, thinking I went behind their backs to re-invite Dolalin, when in reality, I simply took him at his word and assumed it was a mistake. After we cleared things up, they came back to the guild, and we again removed Dolalin - and that started his emails to me claiming he cried and Vita was all he had, and then he said he deleted his character because he couldn't handle it (which turned out to be a lie... at least the deleting part... he probably did cry).

I remember after all that happened, I just sat back and thought "why the hell am I even doing this?" At the time, Hurm was already like a 50+ year old dude, yet he acted like a 15 year old so often that it drove me nuts. I think he just couldn't handle finding out that Neesha was a dude. heh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:31 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
After the Bears and Reach of Oboo merged and Oboo, Xixx, and Cania left, leaving Twowolves as GM.

Pretty sure we hated each other back then. I was pretty quick to start drama so I'm sure that's why he didn't enjoy my company, but I think the "power" of being a GM kind of went to his head.

We had the rule of no light races for the longest time, and eventually Kiras and I decided (we were both officers) that we needed some of the classes that light races provided in the guild to actually progress so we stealth invited Fistuv's high elf wizard...don't remember the name. Oh the shit hit the fan when big poppa Twowolves logged in that night.

I was kicked, but they decided to keep the light races and started recruiting more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 PM 
Do you smell that?

The day mod rods were nerfed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:00 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Just out of curiousity Nananea, if your motivation was to fill a class requirement, then why invite a wizard?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Nananea wrote:
Bears of Oboo

There was that one erudite paladin who would always talk shit to me so I put him on ignore and used duelist on him the first day I got it. It was under the guise of role-playing, but ERUDITE PALADINS ARE NOT BAD GUYS.

Ridiculous.

Also the dramer in whatever iteration of 7D I ended up in, and everyone calling it a night after one wipe in Plane of Growth. With bodies still up there. It was like 6am and I had to go but it was something like a 5 hour corpse run.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:37 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Drajeck wrote:
Just out of curiousity Nananea, if your motivation was to fill a class requirement, then why invite a wizard?

His Iksar Monk was already in the guild, I figured it would be a good way to transition into the idea. Mistaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

randy wrote:
There was that one erudite paladin who would always talk shit to me so I put him on ignore and used duelist on him the first day I got it. It was under the guise of role-playing, but ERUDITE PALADINS ARE NOT BAD GUYS.

Cayton?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:55 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

haha, he was a mistake for a ton of reasons, wasn't he?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 PM 
I schooled the old school.

My worst moment was when three casual guilds merged... Magicks Gambit, Silent Avengers, and a third who's name escapes me for a moment. I had been an officer in Magicks Gambit since the beginning of my time in EQ and for reasons I still don't really know the leadership decided to keep all the officers except me. I remember at the time I was very upset, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit even now years later it makes me a little sad to remember. I had met many of these people in RL in Denver several months previously, and even though it was just a game it hurt. I quit the game for several months, then started leveling up a toon under another name.

*edit* the third guild was Eternal Honour, or something like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:53 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I'm still too embarrassed by how much a troll I was growing up on these forums to even consider meeting anyone from Lanys in real life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:04 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
My first week in EQ, I was doing the mail quest. I had cloth armor, a rusty mace and my prize possession, a Greater Light Stone.

I somehow got lost, fell off one of the tree city bridges, and ended up in an orc camp, and died to death.

I was bound in Freeport. I took the boat back, but, could not find my body, with all of my riches.

I almost quit the game right then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:07 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Being guilded with Kamukuk for a short time in Sigil.

All my worst memories revolve around being guilded with douchebags from time to time and wondering why I was spending time playing with people like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:59 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I honestly don't think there has been a person on Lanys who was more of a genuine asshole than Kamukuk. Funny thing is, the original story I got about Kamukuk (which I could never confirm) was that he was really a child prodigy. The original Kamukuk was actually the father of the Kamukuk we all knew and hated (they were both in Chaos Plague, my original guild that eventually merged with Vita Infinita because, like Oboo, CP didn't allow light races and it just got too tough to raid with no Bards, etc... but I digress).

The Kamukuk we all knew started out as an Enchanter named Vaeltinen (the spelling looks off). He was a great Enchanter when he wanted to be (on Crowde's level, in fact) but even way back then, you could see the makings of a douche. I can remember him dueling people in the EC tunnel and charming them, then literally sitting there for what seemed like hours with them charmed. And by "sitting there" I mean exactly that. His character would sit down right in front of the charmed person, stand up every so often to re-charm, then sit back down. And of course, he'd usually end the duel by having the charmed person attack Rinna or something and die (and lose experience).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:03 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
It's a little foggy exactly how it went down, but I was camping the Ancient Cyclops, or whatever he was called, for the ring to get JBoots. It took me multiple days of hours each, and when I finally saw him, some guy kill stole him (is that the proper past tense of kill stealing?). It was my 1st experience with someone doing something obviously intentionally to screw me, so I didn't even have my guard up against it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:05 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I had taken a several month break (one of many I seem to have taken) during the Depths of Darkhollow expansion. When I finally came back, the majority of players had already gone through all the missions for their spells, and I found it very difficult to get people to help with them- they had already done them multiple times, there was no incentive for themselves personally, and the missions were still fairly difficult enough that people on ez mode grind didn't want to do them. And the lvl 70 spell for magicians was Raging Servant, which it seemed every magician save for myself had. And for those who know what that spell does... it is truely a game changing spell for magicians.

I remember going weeks, probably up to around 2-3 months of asking guild/friends/server for help. I sent tells, I tried to form my own groups, etc. We were always a player or two short, or no one was avaible/wanted to go. Finally one time I was able to get a complete group. We had to run somewhere in the zone- either to the mission guy to hail him to enter the instance, or the camp spot within the instance. Anyways we simply could not do it- always had a see invis mob attack and kill us. People died multiple times, I tried to get everyone to go together but people ran alone and would die... I was beyond frustrated. I had finally gotten a group together, after weeks/months of trying and asking... and now we cannot even run to a spot? After about 90 minutes (had to switch out two people during this time for replacements), we all finally made it to the spot. Then two of them said 'O no I just noticed time, we have a guild raid to go to, sorry'. And, naturally, they gated out. The other three didn't want to spend time looking for replacements so they too decided to leave.

I don't believe I had ever been so angry, so frustrated, and so mad in game that I can recall. Ever. Just resigning myself to maybe not seeing a silly spell in the game, I had realized how much of a hold this game can really have on you if you allow it to.

I think I logged off in complete frustration and didn't go back for at least another 6-10 months. But that is, by and far, my worst Everquest memory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
My worst moment didn't occur on Lanys actually, it was on that short lived Discord server.

Discord Server Rule-set:

Old World EQ (3 original continents only)
FFA PvP after level 6+
One death, from a PC or NPC resulted in your char starting back to level 1
Full loot rights on PC's you kill

I was a big EC-er when this server came out, so I tried it out and got hooked after the first week. I parked at level 5 as a bard and farmed a good chunk of newb quest armor drops. I had gotten a good bunch of plat from selling magic weaps and whatnot so i had my char decked out pretty nice.

I didn't realize i was so close to level 6 and dinged into FFA status while i was kiting some level 14 Lion mobs. Some jerk Mage sicked his earth pet on me mid kite and the lion i was kiting got me.

I lost everything I had accrued on that character, save the plat I left in my bank which I paid a higher level to slay the mage who got me (don't know if he ever got him, doubt it...) and felt like I had just been robbed in real life. I had never played PvP servers so I wasn't use to really losing much in EQ aside from chain deaths via raids or XP grps, I actually remember my stomach hurting and feeling violated.

Worst.EQ.moment.ever.

Edit: I recall seeing level 45+ chars on that server....mind you ONE death meant you started back at level 1, with level 1 skills etc. Scary much?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:42 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Fallen Legacy merging with Visions. Easily hands down the worst, lowest point in my mmo gaming experience. Fuck Visions/Sigil/Ferver/Bacon and every other incarnation of faggotry that bunch of shitlickers ever spat out.

As a special treat..

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-g ... ended.html

I WONDER WHO POOFERR WAS HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:25 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
joxur wrote:
Being guilded with Kamukuk for a short time in Sigil.
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Fallen Legacy merging with Visions. Easily hands down the worst, lowest point in my mmo gaming experience. Fuck Visions/Sigil/Ferver/Bacon and every other incarnation of faggotry that bunch of shitlickers ever spat out.
Yep. Tried to think of an in-game event (and there were quite a few shitty experiences), but nothing held a candle to this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Never really had any hard core guild drama during my time in GCR / MR, but the one event I distinctly remember was my first Fear raid. Xantheus was kind enough to let me tag along with Seven Dreams and I had visions of looting a full set of Thorny Vine armor...

The zone in was like the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan when the soldiers were trying to get off the boat. Needless to say we spent hours in the chat channels waiting for bodies to be drug (dragged?) and eventually favors had to be called in and some Soul Assassins and possibly Tri-Airs folks had to come and break it for us at which point it was too late to continue raiding.

It's not really a worst, I hate my life, memory but certainly one that stands out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
UQUA pre nerf

FL/Visions thing sucked I was in visions I left EQ rather than continue on with Visions, well that and being deployed to Afghan for 18 months.

still remember when Frizznik pulled myself Ellyria, Ralanan up to the GM penalty box room along with Elessar, Leo and and, uh who was the 3rd FL member lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I guess my worst time in EQ would be not on Lanys.

About 6 months after I switched servers to join them I was made an officer and quickly realized that nothing important was ever discussed in the officer's forum but was only discussed ingame which really sucked for me because I hated just sitting around ingame. Anyway I decided that needed to change. We had a monk who was causing all kinds of problems almost nightly and she needed to be dealt with but as the newest officer I felt awkward (especially as she resented not being an officer). So, I posted a fairly long discussion of the pros and cons of various actions from how each officer (one of whom was her boyfriend & knew I was posting) might be best/worst to attempt talking to her to outright deguilding her. The next day I logged in to find the entire guild up in arms and taking sides in the debate. It turned out that she had read my post over her boyfriend's (who was a founding member) shoulder...

The whole episode ended with her being deguilded and her boyfriend quitting EQ.

Those weeks were bad, the worst I've ever experienced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:27 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Draconi wrote:
who was the 3rd FL member
It was probably Nokk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:40 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
When Faeadari booted me from my first Hate raid!

(I think I was too drunk to play or something)

That night on those 2 birds, I think I was there Orme, and that was a pretty horrible night, didn't we eventually kill that shit though?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:09 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Quote:

That would have been me.

I was part of Kuwen and Binkee's worst moments, how grand.

Kuwen - My first Fear Raid was early on and with Ketsui and SA. 12 Hour corpse run spending most of that time in chat except when told to log in and consent.

FL / Visions merger was definitely the worst of the worst.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:11 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
Alnaron's led Fear Raid still stands as the epicest of failures in Fear I'd bet

Inner Fire of whihc I was in much longer than Visions had some intersting moments too, when we accidentally pulled Velketor to the zone in was one I fondly remember.

Fervor, help me dear lord to come back from 18 months in Afghan, then Dreslav, Kam and Alnaron all the same guild well that was also quite uh, "interesting"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:29 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

So who was Pooffer? I'm curious now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:38 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Oh yeah, Xan. Sorry bout that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:50 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I never really had any bad moments, great moments and memories all ive taken away from EQ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:54 PM 
What does this button do?

It was a bit after a guild I was in imploded for some lame reason, and I was just sitting in an exp group when I get a tell from someone asking me to go on a Trakanon(?) raid. I didn't really feel like it, but they kept bugging me to go, so I relented and went. This raid was just about all one guild, except for me and maybe one or two others. Anyway, Trakanon dies, and wouldn't you know it a Donal's (?) BP drops. I send a tell to the raid leader to be included in on the roll, and he tells me something to the effect of well you're not in our guild so you don't get a roll, but if you join we'll let you in on the roll.

While that conversation was going on another cleric in that guild was trying to convince me to join, and it was the only person I remember holding a grudge against. He trained me with a bunch of skeletons once and then just watched me die.. Stubman that's who it was. I started bitching in shout about this blatant attempt at manipulation, and they relented and let me in on the roll. I lost the roll, but damn. They beg me to come along, get me out of an exp group, then try to exclude me from a roll on a cleric item.

They bugged me for a while from time to time "d00d we need more clerics" not quite like that, but you get the idea. Eventually I joined a smaller guild where I was "Sal" and not "A_Cleric_00".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:58 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Damn, that sounds like something I would have done too. Was it me?

I'm thinking I was involved in too many people's worst moment.

Speaking of worst moment, I noticed in that link Givin posted that Xianle posted. I think we all remember that worst moment!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:05 PM 

Are you referring to my post Xantheus? If so no, it wasn't you.

The guild leader of that one, was a tall melee type. Human or High elf I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:12 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Oh, good. High-Elf Paladin by chance?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:21 PM 

Yes, I think so. I remember the name of that guild now, but meh... old drama is old.

I do remember grouping with him and a female wizard he always hung out with a few times, and they seemed pretty decent then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:41 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I'm thinking Deavi?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:48 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Ditto

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:54 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
Quote:

That would have been me.

I was part of Kuwen and Binkee's worst moments, how grand.

heh, I don't even think it had anything to do with you. It was just people who were getting offers from whatever the other guild was pulling a /gquit during the raid.

Actually come to think of it, that shit happened in Oboo too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:22 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

The demand of Clerics had to be one of the single most annoying facets of Everquest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:55 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
So who was Pooffer? I'm curious now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:52 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
I'm thinking Deavi?
Damn, why is that the first guy to come to mind?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

The only bad time I can really think of was when my very first real guild on Sullon Zek disbanded. =( Iggles for life, yo.

There were all the usual 2-day corpse recoveries in PoF and getting trained 50 times on Rallos Zek and all that fun stuff...but I took all that in stride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:58 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Mine would be one of the first open raids to Plane of Hate I went on.

The raid leader was some bard that kept falling asleep!

I think we were all yelling at our screens, hoping we could somehow wake the guy up. :shaking2:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:12 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Argrax wrote:
The demand of Clerics had to be one of the single most annoying facets of Everquest.
No shit.

This wasn't a "dark memory", but certainly an annoying one. We tried to discourage alts on raids or for using RPP. It always got contentious when clerics wanted to use their RPP for alts. Of course, when I started running a cleric alt, I would get the occasional, "ohhh... but you're allowed to have an alt!"

Everything I needed to know about management, I learned in EQ :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:20 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I think the demand for Clerics was simply because the progression of the game's boss fights was just 'add more hitpoints and have them hit harder! (and throw out some AE's while you're at it!)'. There wasn't alot of strategy involved, it was usually just a war of attrition.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Even in the first couple expansions, you all but needed a Cleric for the good camps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:23 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

The cleric thing is what happens when you get to the other end of the "homogenization" spectrum that WoW players seem so afraid of.

Give a class a spell like Complete Heal, don't give it to other classes, and zomg that class is suddenly in demand. ;)

Maybe it's a lot different now, but CH was the real deal breaker when I played.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:59 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

That was changed years ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Fear corpse runs were the suck. But the thing I hated most was when I was on a raid and people made me put my bst pet up, because people were so used to pets screwing things up. The only thing worse is when I might have forgotten to change the aggro on my pet and actually screwed things up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:38 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Well, that was the most spirited discussion we've had here in a while. Too bad it died.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:40 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

So true Bobo, it took me a long time to get people on the bandwagon that BST pets were okay...and really it had nothing to do with the pets but rather the owner's awareness (mainly...there were those insane pathing bugs but zomg summon minion!).

I loved playing a beastlord.../nostalgia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 AM 

lol Xantheus.... your post is merely 8 hours from the last post, and "it died?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:24 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Well, all ten of us that still come here posted so I guess we're done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:12 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

man makes a good point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:46 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

TRAXOR!! omg dude that sounds so close to a story I did to this bard, I pretended to be his friend n shit cause i saw he had a few nice items and low end chars NEVER actually used that shit, back then, I remember playing a mage and pretending to be the bards friend for awhile hunting in nekforest and in the commonlands, then i earth pet rooted and nuked him from a distance right before the lion could claim the kill hahaha , i remember i was like i didnt loot it so i could get more shit next group but the bard saw me run up in that old eq window when it overlooked your corpse when you died.. hahahaha i was too excited to wait.. if that was you and me I'm sorry but I used to train those undead citizens around freeport as a rogue so no one would see me and the guards and npcs would not help, plus they agroed like skeletons.. god i loved that shit :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:02 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I hated all the BS guild drama. Raids, killing stuff, questing, making friends at strange places was great but when all these people get so butt hurt over insignificant petty bullshit things drove me nuts! I saw too many guilds that had a good thing going, making a stab at progression then one person would have a hissy fit, quit the guild and take 1/4 of the raid team then everyone would be back starting all over again (including those that left).

I remember the crap that stopped Circle of Knowledge from ever growing into anything.

I remember the dissolving of Colossus

I remember the end of Ivory Oder Raid teams

I remember the brick wall that stopped MW/SC (it shortly recovered but wasn't the same)

I remember the sudden end to Mythic Legends

I then remember the seemingly mass exodus of people to all sorts of other games never to be seen again in EQ.

When I left Circle I felt like I had been betrayed and walked all over and I didn't want to play the game for a while.

All in all the thing that sucks the most is that all those friendships that were made in partnership to achieve something - be it a level/aa grind, quest or raid, or hell just working together learning how to play - not having those anymore is the worst thing that I can remember

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 AM 
Do you smell that?

Quote:
man makes a good point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:11 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

My worst memory is simply being addicted to the game. That and people disrespecting me because I was really young when I played, which I will admit, was warranted from time to time, especially in the first year or two.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:15 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Haters be hatin'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:11 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

krby71 wrote:

I remember the crap that stopped Circle of Knowledge from ever growing into anything.

When I left Circle I felt like I had been betrayed and walked all over and I didn't want to play the game for a while.

All in all the thing that sucks the most is that all those friendships that were made in partnership to achieve something - be it a level/aa grind, quest or raid, or hell just working together learning how to play - not having those anymore is the worst thing that I can remember

Your char was Ghaani right?

I led the first Circle raid ever, and I saw so much potential and enthusiasm in our group of folks it was a shame to have to leave the tag behind, but eventually we all had to. I miss the old board, cause those posts from 2000-02 were priceless. :)

I'm still hoping to get a RL pic of Mazurite, you never know when google will come through!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:28 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I just remember how dreadfully and painfully seriously we took everything. Like it (the thing of the moment) was the only important thing in the world. Trak is FFA, kill stealing, camps, guild drama, all of it. God, the discussions/fights we had about the raid calendar alone. heh. That was my least favourite parts of the game...just how magnified everything became.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised they existed though. Everything about EQ, every aspect of it, was designed to play into obsessive behaviour, so it I think that magnified a bit the responses we had to it and the situations in it. In many ways, the Lanys board became a reflection of that.... just another way to obsess about our obsessive game when we couldn't be inside it.

On the flip side.... there were also some really, really good memories of the game that I can, likewise, not see happening in something like WoW because it DOESN'T play to those same difficult obsessive qualities in us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:10 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Lord Traxor wrote:
Your char was Ghaani right?

Yep, that was me