It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traffic Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
1. Can you be ticketed for running a stop sign in a private lot, like a grocery store? What about the stop-sign that is exiting the property? Do you have to come to a complete stop at the end of your driveway before entering the roadway?

2. Is it legal to pull out from a parking lot or road into a turn lane. Example: I want to turn left, but traffic is heavy and I can't get into the lane, so I pull into the turn lane then merge. I personally think it isn't legal, but everybody does it on my street (except me, I think it's dangerous and stupid)

3. If you are rear-ended and hit the car in front of you, will you get a citation for hitting the car? (my belief is yes)

4. How long do you wait before you decide the light is broken (or you didn't trigger it) and run it?

5. Why do some lights turn red as you approach them? (I thought maybe they were mis-calibrated, but I have encountered enough, I am starting to think they are on purpose)

6. Is it illegal to change lanes in a turn? If you are in a double turn lane, and you cross over. (I think yes, but I'm not sure)

7. Is there a speed limit to on/off ramps? If I am going 70 on the interstate and hit an off ramp doing that, can I be ticketed for going 70 in a 45 or something like that?

8. If there is no school, but the lights are flashing do you have to go 20?

9. Do you have to have your seat belt on before you start the car, or before you put it in gear?

10. If someone is driving your car that isn't on the insurance policy, can they get a ticket, or will I get a ticket or does it not matter? (probably varies state to state)

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts I had.. since you guys know it all, I'm sure these questions will be easy =P

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Traffic Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:47 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
#6 is yes.

#10 is that they will get the ticket, but you might get dinged on your insurance policy for a violation, depending on both state and insurance companies.

#3, in my experience, is no. I was rear ended bad enough to hit the car in front of me, which then hit the car in front of them, and the person who rear ended me got three citations.

#7, state law will vary, but in georgia, the speed limit doesn't "officially" change until you see a new sign, but going 70 on an off-ramp is stupid. On-ramps are intended for acceleration to highway speeds.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!

On #1, I had a couple friends that were pulled over searched and ticketed after failing to use a turn signal at stop sign in a parking lot so i figure you could get a ticket for failing to stop also.

#3 is no from personal experience in TN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
1. Can you be ticketed for running a stop sign in a private lot, like a grocery store? What about the stop-sign that is exiting the property? Do you have to come to a complete stop at the end of your driveway before entering the roadway?it depends mostly on the state. I was hit in a parking lot and the police officer told me that he could not issue a citation (even though it was clear that the other driver was at fault) due to it being in a parking lot. As for the sign exiting the property, if the sign is on private property then the driver can't be ticketed for not comping to a complete stop but the driver does have to yield right of way to pedestrians and oncoming traffic - the same for your driveway.

2. Is it legal to pull out from a parking lot or road into a turn lane. Example: I want to turn left, but traffic is heavy and I can't get into the lane, so I pull into the turn lane then merge. I personally think it isn't legal, but everybody does it on my street (except me, I think it's dangerous and stupid)Again, this varies from state to state. I have done this very maneuver in front of local police and not received a warning or citation.

3. If you are rear-ended and hit the car in front of you, will you get a citation for hitting the car? (my belief is yes) you can be cited for following too close, but that is usually a judgment by the officer

4. How long do you wait before you decide the light is broken (or you didn't trigger it) and run it? most traffic lights are on a 30-45 second timer (depending on placement and traffic) I don't know if there is a set time limit as for how long you must wait, but if I am at a light for over a couple min, it hasn't turned and there is no oncoming traffic I will run it.

5. Why do some lights turn red as you approach them? (I thought maybe they were mis-calibrated, but I have encountered enough, I am starting to think they are on purpose)many cities/towns use traffic lights to control speed. They want them to turn red to keep the flow going at a set rate. Some are calibrated to change at a certain speed from one to the next the others are set to control the flow. I had exchanged several letters with the traffic control operations department and learned a lot about this. There are times when they do want free-flow of traffic and others they want traffic to stop. So yes, there are lights that are set to make you stop.

6. Is it illegal to change lanes in a turn? If you are in a double turn lane, and you cross over. (I think yes, but I'm not sure)again, varies from state to state, but the general guideline is to stay in the lane that you entered for the turn

7. Is there a speed limit to on/off ramps? If I am going 70 on the interstate and hit an off ramp doing that, can I be ticketed for going 70 in a 45 or something like that? there are some off ramps that do have speed limits and are posted. I have seen off ramps with a posted 15 MPH speed limit (due to the extreme turn) and yes you can be given a ticket for speeding on an off ramp.

8. If there is no school, but the lights are flashing do you have to go 20?yes - don't mess around with school zones.

9. Do you have to have your seat belt on before you start the car, or before you put it in gear?I think that it is before you put the car into motion

10. If someone is driving your car that isn't on the insurance policy, can they get a ticket, or will I get a ticket or does it not matter? (probably varies state to state)this varies again, but in most cases they will get a ticket and you could get a ticket or at least a hit on your insurance

Don't chalk my answers up as the 100% right as they will vary from place to place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:47 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

1) That entirely depends on if the sign is in a public right of way.

2) I do it all the time, the issue comes in if you continue driving down the turn lane until you can merge, that will get you a ticket.

3) krby is correct, you were too close in the first place if you hit the car in front of you, except for extreme circumstances. If you're at a dead stop and get hit by someone doing 50 you're going to have no control whatsoever.

4) If you don't want a ticket you don't run it at all. If you didn't trigger it then you probably pulled up too far in the first place.

5) Some lights are car activated, some are on strict timers, others are combinations of both. Most main drags are setup so that if you're caught in the red cycles you'll catch every light through town because they're set up so that under normal acceleration you'll come to the next light when it turns red.

6) Are you disrupting traffic? If not you're probably fine.

7) Go grab a book from your local DMV. Chances are there is a set offramp speed in the book. Most of the time they're posted.

8) Read the sign. They have posted times when school is active and when the school zone speeds apply.

9) Depends on the state.

10) Your insurance policy should contain information about others driving your car. If the person driving your car has insurance they should have a clause in their policy about them driving other people's vehicles. The ticket goes to the driver, not the car. If it's a parking ticket take it up with the person you let drive your car.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 PM 

#4 is a trick question, make 3 right turns

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:59 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

For #10, if someone gets a ticket while driving your car, in general it will not have any impact on you or your insurance.

There are exceptions:
1. Stop Light Cameras ticket the title, so that will impact you.
2. If you are getting an insurance discount because you excluded people from your policy, and that person was found driving your car, you could get dropped from insurance and sued for fraud. Highly unlikely.
3. If there is anything illegal beyond a moving violation, you could be be prosecuted as an accessory. FOr exmaple, you let somoene borrow your car and they kill someone while drunk - could be interesting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:02 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Quote:
8) Read the sign. They have posted times when school is active and when the school zone speeds apply.

Many school zones don't have that sign. I almost always do go 20, thought I feel like an idiot when I know there is no school.. I'm sure the people behind me appreciate it too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:49 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Question if you are at a one way street and its left turn only can you perform a left turn at a stop sign / red light due to it being one way only?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:15 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

If it doesn't have a sign or flashing light then it's considered an active school zone. I'd have to say I'm surprised though, even Tennessee has signs/flashing lights.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:20 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Oooo another question...

Can you get pulled over 3 minutes after leaving the dentist's office from a root canal for running a red light even though the lay out and traffic system in down town St. Louis may be the worst known to man? And for a 5 point bonus....does a bum have big enough balls to ask you for money while you are pulled over????

I personally just found out the answer is a resounding YES YOU FUCKING CAN

I saw better fucking traffic control down in Peru then here....god I miss Phoenix.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 PM 

Let's talk about Michigan Left Turns. WTF is up with that crap?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:03 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left_turn

The first use of the design by the MDOT at the intersection of 8 Mile Road (M-102) and Livernois Avenue(map) in Detroit in the early 1960s. The increase in traffic flow and reduction in accidents was so dramatic that over 700 similar intersections have been deployed throughout the state since then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:45 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

A little insight that wiki doesn't offer....DOT engineers are typically bottom of the talent pool. Not to say there isn't the occasional exceptional engineer but its not the norm. I took a few road design courses during my B.S and M.S in civil engineering so we spent a lot of time with the DOT and helped them on projects. Sadly, we routinely pointed out flaws with even the simplest of their designs and traffic studies. I think this is mainly because the DOT pays horrible (job offer I received from them was literally half of the job I took, it was about equal to what a professional janitor makes...) and tends to be a very boring job that is slow paced which attracts the lazy bastards who just want to collect a pay check and eat a donut.

I think this is clearly evident in half the traffic designs seen today. I'm hesitant when I ever see "study" results because half the time they forget to include outside variables that drastically alter the results or take to small samples etc.

Offline Profile