It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:35 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorola Droid
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:18 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Anyone have it? Thoughts/opinions on it?

Getting me a new phone from Verizon, it is probably either that one or the enV 3 (I believe that is the name). The guy at Verizon was basically saying the Droid is Verizon's version of iPhone. Was curious if anyone has had personal experience with Droid.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Motorola Droid
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:19 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Go to a few sites that sell it and read the reviews. I've read something about the battery life being really low.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:21 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Yeah I haven't started my internet research on it- that is this weekend. I asked around some co-workers at work, but no one has it. All friends don't have it either. So was just seeking personal opinion from someone who has as well as internet research...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:21 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Larreth wrote:
Go to a few sites that sell it and read the reviews. I've read something about the battery life being really low.

Any "smart" phone eats batteries bad.

cicely wrote:
Anyone have it? Thoughts/opinions on it?

Getting me a new phone from Verizon, it is probably either that one or the enV 3 (I believe that is the name). The guy at Verizon was basically saying the Droid is Verizon's version of iPhone. Was curious if anyone has had personal experience with Droid.

Thanks in advance.

the only bad thing that I have heard about it is that its on Verizon

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:14 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I've been debating a while whether or not to go to verizon. AT&T just seems to nickel and dime the hell out of things. I've not checked but I think AT&T is a bit more spendy than verizon as well.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:51 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I love my droid. i just wish it was on any carrier other than at&t, verizon or t-mo (well, that doesn't leave me with much)

The phone itself is amazing, the keyboard is very very .... interestingly designed. It took some getting used to.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:31 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

www.wirefly.com I got my LG enV3 for free.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:50 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I have a HTC Hero / Samsung Moment from sprint I light the Hero more for the Sense UI but the Samsungs processor is faster.

Both are fantastic phones and fast on sprint.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:47 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
envX phone suck ass.. they're good for messaging only.. shitty battery life cycle, shitty rate for dropped calls/cutting out

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:31 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

/shrug, no problems out of my enV3. Battery only drops if I'm making a lot of calls or sending a lot of picture messages. The 3mp camera does drop it sort of quick if I'm using the flash. I can listen to music on it all day long and the battery stays up fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:39 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I don't get the anti-Verizon hate. I have had them for almost 4-5 years now... only one time did I have a problem with them (phone broke, I paid the monthly insurance service thing, went to exchange it for exact same phone, they wanted to give me a refurbished one. I told them no I want the real thing, called their corporate office in front of the store manager, and he gave in and gave me new one to replace). But I don't lose calls, I don't get dead spots, happy with the service, etc etc.

Now for me, I really dislike AT&T. I had them for about four years before I went to Verizon- lots of dropped calls, dead zones in various places around Phoenix, didn't seem like very friendly service, then they contacted me about four years after my contract was done saying I still owed around 65 dollars on a bill and threatened me with hundreds in interest. Had to dig through my files and paperwork to prove it was paid fully off (which it was at that time). Just had a very bad impression with them.

I guess it just really depends on your experience. But I seem to hear more pro-Verizon than anti-, and more anti-AT&T than pro-. T-Mobile seems to be all anti-, and Sprint is just lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:05 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

AT&T has a ton of dead spots in wisconsin, I can tell you that much lol.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:27 PM 

let's put it this way.

verizon is expensive for data plans. almost as expensive as AT&T. sprint is less so, and t-mobile is the cheapest overall, but their network is....sad.

Honestly the cell companies keep saying that "data is more expensive than voice" but that's bullshit since on most networks it's all the same thing now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:07 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Around here if you want decent service, you have Verizon. It'll talk places none of the others will get out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:28 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

I got my droid when it launched and it's been great so far. The battery life isn't really all that bad I've only had it die on me once after not charging it for about two days. The keyboard does take longer than normal to get used to and it still is easier just to look at the thing while typing but you can type on it while paying attention to other things (not driving obviously). The first couple weeks I missed my stop on the bus three or four times while typing.

My brother got the droid eris for free since I got my droid and to be honest I like it a bit better than the droid for some things. The battery life isn't quite as good and it isn't quite as fast, but it will be getting an upgrade to android 2.0 during the first quarter of next year so it will have the full google maps navigation. There is also a new eris coming sometime in the next four months or so that is supposed to have a larger screen than the droid.

Also the Google phone is allegedly coming next year. The hands on reviews have it outpacing every other phone on the market right now, and from a few of the reviews it beats the droid in every test they did.

The only issue I have with Verizon is the price of their plans, but they still aren't as high as AT&T. I switched to Verizon from Sprint and every dead spot I had with Sprint has been 3G from Verizon, although there was one area of the building I have classes in that I end up on the extended network, but this past semester was the last time I'll be over there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:30 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

I have the Droid and would highly recommend it. From a "phone" standpoint it is far superior to the iphone in every use other than data connection over the 3g network doesn't work while on the phone. So.. you can't browse the web while on the phone. Oh no. You CAN browse the web over the phone if you have a wifi network though.

App wise there is a ton of cool stuff out there. The absolute best iPhone game (geoDefense) is not on android, but oh well. Obviously not as many as the iPhone, but how many would you really use? Most of the useful stuff is there.

Battery life was actually significantly improved with the 2.0.1 upgrade to the OS and is supposed to be even further improved when 2.1 is released on Jan. 22nd. 2.1 will also improve the overall speed and functionality of the phone.

Decent facebook app, multi-touch browser is free to download (it's called dolphin), Flash is coming very soon, might even be with 2.1 in January. The camera works well and the physical keyboard really is nice to have. Takes a little getting used to, but is quite fast once you have.

The Google phone does look cool, but if it's only on T-Mobile that's a deal breaker.

Oh, and Google Maps with Nav made me give my Garmin Nuvi GPS away because of how superior it is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
What is "in every other use"? Talking to your friends? You haven't said one thing that makes the Droid better than any other smart phone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Neesha the Necro wrote:
What is "in every other use"? Talking to your friends? You haven't said one thing that makes the Droid better than any other smart phone.

My sentence was horribly convoluted.

What I meant was as a phone, yes for talking with, it is superior to the iPhone. Whatever the iPhone's failing is in terms of voice connectivity, it is a big deal. Dropped calls, horrible quality, etc. Perhaps you have one and have better luck than others, but most people absolutely hate the iPhone for talking. The only thing an iPhone does in terms of voice that a Droid doesn't (barring wifi situations) is allow you to use data and voice at the same time.

What sets the Droid apart from other smartphones is the same sorts of things that set the iPhone apart. Large screen for viewing (with the highest resolution of any phone screen on the market), tons of customization options, full screen touch enabled games, it doubles as a window mounted GPS with the car kit, a very fast processor that leads to a very smooth experience, and of course it gives good handjobs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:29 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Quote:
and of course it gives good handjobs.

SOLD!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Actually, I have a Palm Pre. I still say the dropped calls, horrible quality, etc., is a product of the network as a whole and not the particular phones, although I do have friends who complain about their iPhones & reception so maybe that phone does have a problem. We've had the debate before but I have never had problems with my Sprint connection (dropped calls, etc) so I've never felt the pain that others have in that regard ("Sprint sux, I lose my connection all the time!"). My phone just sucks in my building at work, but every Sprint phone has sucked in my building so I don't blame the phone, I blame the location. Others can talk on their phones in the elevators, I have never had that luxury.

As far as multi-tasking, the Pre is king. Moreso than the iPhone, and of course, the Droid. The screen is not as big, but I can live with that. I can also mount it in my car and use it as a GPS if I so desire. Most phones have this option, it's nothing special. Where the iPhone continues to shine is obviously in the app selection. Sure, you can say that most of the 100,000 apps are useless, but there are plenty that are great and I wish they were available from the Palm app store. The Palm is nearing 1000 apps, Androids have around 10,000, and the iPhone is sitting pretty at around 100,000. That's a huge difference.

Everything is tuned to please iPhone users, from the apps (want to order a Pizza? there's an app for it!) to actual websites In this regard, other phones will always be playing catch-up, and that's a shame. However, I'm happy with my phone and I see no real reason to switch at this point. I don't see the Droid offering anything that is "must-have." It has a 5MP camera. It's still a camera on a phone, so the quality is going to be "phone camera quality." My phone doesn't use iTunes, luckily, so I'd definitely say that is a bonus over the iPhone (no idea what the Droid uses).

It would be interesting to see which phone won out if they were all available on all networks. I'd say the iPhone, even with its shortcomings, would be the clear winner just because of the apps. Hell, I'd probably switch over if Sprint offered it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 AM 

the droid just looks like a usb drive you drag music on to.

and the droid can multitask a lot better than the pre's that I've payed with, and it has more third party apps available, so I think that the android platform phones come somewhere above the pre/pixi.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:08 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I thought the Droid couldn't multi-task while talking on the phone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:09 AM 

No, you can't use data while talking on the phone, unless you are connected to wifi. (blame cdma for that, not the phone itself)--- you can use whatever apps you want while talking on the phone though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:13 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Ahh, gotcha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:16 AM 

The only real complaint I have is that the facebook app sucks, because it won't let you just see status updates and you see all the game spam that you would normally block.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:26 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Vanamar I believe the facebook app is going to be renovated with 2.1, but don't know for sure.

And Neesha I know a lot of smartphones can mount on the dash or whatever to be a GPS, but so far only the droid has google maps with nav which is awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:27 PM 

Intin -- I'm running 2.1 :) It still sucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Vanamar wrote:

Oh! You took the plunge with the hacked OS? Daring. It's my work phone or I probably would have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I never understood why people would purposely publish when they grew a beet on farmville or whatever. Seriously, who cares?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:33 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Neesha the Necro wrote:
I never understood why people would purposely publish when they grew a beet on farmville or whatever. Seriously, who cares?

It's a matter of life or death that I get 250 more allies to summon the firestorm to defeat Cronus in Castle Age.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:10 PM 

intin wrote:
Vanamar wrote:

Oh! You took the plunge with the hacked OS? Daring. It's my work phone or I probably would have.

It's my work phone too ;) Granted it's also my personal one...

It was trivially simple to install, and I have a backup of my 2.0.1 installation, in case I run into any major issues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:05 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Quote:
Honestly the cell companies keep saying that "data is more expensive than voice" but that's bullshit since on most networks it's all the same thing now.

Actually, yes, it is different still. None of the big 4 use VOIP for voice calls, yet. That's the standard chosen for LTE though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:02 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
I wonder how they'll restructure their data plan charges around that; and I imagine cell VoIP will have some sort of charge to talk to POTS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:44 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

If AT&T has anything to say about it, wirelines are going to go the way of the dodo bird.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:39 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Good stuff:

Attachment:
Doom-in-a-card.png

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:41 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

someone at my work was playing with Doom was funny

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:33 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

heh nice. I'll have to get Doom for my Pre, but somehow I doubt i'll play it more than once.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:25 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Nice to have as a novelty. The controls kinda suck, of course.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

PC > touchscreen phone for FPS games.

It had to be said.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
Gotta say, I love my HTC Hero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 AM 

I'm just so sick of AT&T's coverage and dropped calls. Also, I did not like the blame game AT&T started with blaming iPhone for their network problems. The iPhone has to be a cash cow for AT&T, if not, a great advertiser and media hype.

If rumors are true and the iPhone moves to Verizon I will 99.9% be jumping ships just because I just haven't enjoyed my time with AT&T. Maybe it is because it is them or our crappy local provider has all we have seen our entire life. Regardless, I love my iPhone (especially the 3GS) and looking forward to what unravels this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:08 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

I picked the Droid up.

I love it.

battery life isn't too bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:58 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

When that Verizon iPhone hits, eBay is going to get flooded with used AT&T phones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Yeah Verizon and Sprint both will get a influx, poor AT&T

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
There's no poor AT&T about it. Best thing that could happen to AT&T right now is for those other carriers to start having to deal with the iphones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:30 AM 

well, i know for a fact verizon has the infrastructure in place to do so.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:34 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

No comapny has the infrastructure in place to handle it. Europe's 02 is having the exact issue's with it we are. And they have much less iphone subscribers. It's been proven that we kick everyone's ass for data on every other phone BUT the iphone (check gizmodo and endgadget for the reviews and tests) . And now a 2nd carrier has problems with the device?

AT&T and o2 are questioning apple right now, but the bottom line is, no one can handle it for whatever reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:21 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

One of you two is a lying bastard!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:28 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Personally I hate the fucking thing. We just announced 5 droid devices so I'm hoping we get a decent one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:55 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Sola - is the Euro network GSM as well? Could a switch to CDMA possibly alleviate whatever the issue is with iPhones? Other than them being made by apple.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 AM 

Virtually the entire planet except the USA and I think Japan are 100% GSM.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:16 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

It will be interesting to see if CDMA alleviates the iPhone issues then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:32 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Yeah, O2 is GSM. We're really not sure where the problem lies, because we can't reproduce the problems with the Iphone on our network with any of our other devices. Building a CDMA iphone might work for verizon, maybe. The biggest thing about their data network is that it's separate from the voice network, that very well could be the big problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:27 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
our network in this part of the world is CDMA still

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:14 PM 

canada is like the US -- even split between GSM and CDMA.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:25 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

One of the coolest product promos I've ever seen.

Offline Profile