It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DSLR and YOU!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
I know there are a few on here who are pretty damn good photographers so I figured I would get your opinion on how good you think this setup would be for a beginner like my wife..

Nikon D3000 with an AF-S Nikon-Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G VR lens and also a Nikon-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G DX AF-S Zoom- Lens for far away shots.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: DSLR and YOU!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:51 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
the d3000 is very well reviewed, so depending on how much this combo costs, it's not a bad starter kit.

just remember that the main expense in photography is the "glass" (aka lenses) -- bodies are replacable, good glass lasts a lifetime (I have about two grand sunk into various lenses, my pride being a sigma 50mm prime 1.4/f)

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:36 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Yep, that's a good starter. The kit lens, the 18-55 you have there, is a great lens for the cost. It'll last you a while and definitely get your feet wet. Have fun!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:13 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
There is also a d5000 kit with the extra lens, a carry bag and a few other accessories. I posted in the other dslr thread lol, but no one has responded.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I will be upgrading to the D5000 at some point next year for the Video camera option. I love my D40 though great entry level camera ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Total between the camera body, kit lens and the 55-200 lens, $618.

Where is the other DSLR thread Larreth?

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:15 PM 

arts and entertainment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:24 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

CakvalaSC wrote:
I will be upgrading to the D5000 at some point next year for the Video camera option. I love my D40 though great entry level camera ;)

Yeah, I believe costco is the one with the d5000 package. It's like 824.00 if i recall.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I'm considering the D5000 and Canon T1i. There are lots of good deals to be had right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:01 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think retailers and customers are playing chicken right now... I'm wondering what prices will look like on the 26th.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:04 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I am not ready to get into a good DSLR (maybe someday) but I NEED to upgrade my old Point and Shoot. I was looking at the Canon PowerShot SX20IS (Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX20IS-Stabilized-Articulating/dp/B002LITT3I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1260978066&sr=1-9)

I LIKE that it uses standard AA batteries and that it has the rotating LCD screen. I also like the depth of view and optical zoom of it.

I don't know if I can get a better camera for a bit less or am I missing something about this one?

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:38 AM 

if you're going to spend almost $400 on a point and shoot, just get a low end DSLR.

Even if you buy say a 6-8 megapixel DSLR, the pictures will be better than a 10-12 megapixel point and shoot, mostly due to better lens quality and sensor components, and the price will be only slightly more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Vanamar wrote:
if you're going to spend almost $400 on a point and shoot, just get a low end DSLR.

Even if you buy say a 6-8 megapixel DSLR, the pictures will be better than a 10-12 megapixel point and shoot, mostly due to better lens quality and sensor components, and the price will be only slightly more.

Vanamar is right I was going to get a high end Point and Shoot than just decided a DSLR would be better just with the option of different lenses.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:11 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

CakvalaSC wrote:
Vanamar wrote:

Vanamar is right I was going to get a high end Point and Shoot than just decided a DSLR would be better just with the option of different lenses.

This is so true. I bought the top of the line Nikon point and shoot a few years ago and spent quite a bit on it. Takes fantastic still pictures but as with any point and shoot, a moving target is just a pain in the ass to photograph...what with the shutter lag.

Shoulda bought a DLSR from the getgo

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:21 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
DSLR's while nice... aren't for everyone. So the "just spend a little more" argument isn't very good in this situation. It's not like paying an extra 100 bucks for 1080 over 720p. DSLR's and P&S are different kinds of beasts with pros and cons for both.

Sure, they (DSLR's) do take "better quality" pictures (generally) but they have their drawbacks. Price, size and "douchebag" factor come to mind.

That being said.... I LOVE my DSLR. But.. it's not for everybody. (my wife used our old P&S all the time, she hates the DSLR.. it's too complex for what she wants to use it for)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:52 PM 

My Nikon D40 has all of the "automatic" modes that a P&S does, focuses faster and takes the actual picture MUCH faster than any point and shoot I've ever seen.

The only inconvenience is size.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Size, cost(lenses, accessories, body among other things), inconvenience, maintenance, douchebag factor

Also, things like "large LCD screen" are important to some people (like my mom)

There are a lot of reasons to not want a DSLR.

It is one thing to whip out a small p&s at a party and snap a few pics, but pulling out a big ass DSLR as it clicks and clatters away while you look like you are playing paparazzi is another.

Like I said.. I am a huge fan of my DSLR, but I would never recommend one to someone who "just wants to take some pictures".

I can run out now and get a decent P&S for about 200 bucks. Is it going to take better quality pictures than the low end DSLR? Nope, probably not. But it is cheaper, and its accessories are cheaper and it is low maintenance. I have a special "tool kit" for cleaning my DLSR lenses... when I had a p&s, I wiped that lens on my shirt. That is a big difference. So no, Van... the only inconvenience is not size.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:46 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
This camera is mainly for my wife. She has a Kodak EZ Share now and wants to upgrade. She is "afraid" of the technology in a DSLR camera (I have to show her how to burn files to a DVDR every time she wants it done)

If it were for me, I'd go ahead and get the DSLR and have a fun. I have so many pictures in my head that I have seen that I want to take - whenever I get a good camera I will take them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:45 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Quote:
She is "afraid" of the technology in a DSLR camera
The are very intimidating - even regular p&s are intimidating to a lot of people. You gotta figure, most folks up till recently just looked through a hole and pushed a button (the only button on the camera). I know lots of my family use disposable cameras often.

My wife is the same way. I keep trying to get her to take more pictures with it, but she is scared shitless of the damn thing.

On top of that, many people are afraid to touch it because it looks expensive. People know those kinda cameras cost a lot of money, and are very hesitant to even hold it.

I would recommend a P&S that has some "manual" features, to kinda help ease your wife into it. That way, when A S M and P mode are on the DSLR dial, it wont look so foreign. She can sorta learn about f stops and shutter speed and whatnot on a smaller scale.

But frankly, a lot of people just want to pull a small, easy camera out and take some pictures.

if you are going with the Canon PowerShot SX20IS - size really isn't that different from a DSLR. A bit smaller and lighter and no need to carry around extra lenses, but still - not a "pocket" camera. If your wife is going to use it with any regularity - I highly recommend something she can shove in her purse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I hadn't really used a camera at all before this semester, but I think I ended up with some decent beginner shots by just playing around for my entry courses.

Offline Profile