It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:23 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
For those of you that practice different forms of Martial Arts... why did you chose the form that you are practicing. Be it tae Kwon do or Karate, what formed your choice?

Also... from your experience, can martial arts teach discipline or must you have it to learn martial arts?

I am considering taking some lessons for the primary purpose of introducing more discipline into my life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:15 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
I am not really experienced enough to give a great response -- but I will say this.

Do yoga first if you are really planning on giving it a serious go. Your flexibility is going to be highly limiting if you have not been actively working on it. Doing some basic kenpo movements in your normal workout routine would also be helpful to build stamina.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:16 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
tai chi or yoga is helpful for flexibility as bupas said -- you don't want to go into an activity that can strain you as bad as martial arts can without having some flexibility.

I take semi-regular krav maga courses, mostly because it's actually useful for self defense.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:22 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

I did TKD when I was younger and didn't really grasp the whole concept of it all until much later in life. It in reality is just like anything else, unless you commit yourself at it you'll never be anything but average.

You'll only learn as much discipline as you need to succeed in your goals with the art until you really figure out how to apply it to your every day life. Arnold talked about that kind of shit a lot in reference to body building

PS Vanamar sux

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:57 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
Studied Ju-jutsu as a kid and into my teens, and chose it because in my hometown there were essentially 2 schools of martials arts that were credible to choose from: either karate or ju-jutsu. Ju-jutsu simply seemed more geared towards what I wanted (grappling, with some throws, various locks/holds, but also punching, kicking, and the usual good stuff).

In the end, I don't think it matters what style you choose so long as you pick up on the purpose of the martial art, and can take what you learn from it (i.e. discipline, self-control, respect, etc.) and apply it to life in general.

Oh, I should also add Iaido which I studied while I was in Japan recently. Not your typical martial art, and not overly popular in North America, but was definitely a welcome change. My dojo over there actually taught both Judo and Iaido, so I got to brush up on my old techniques at the same time I learned new shit. Was pretty good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:45 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Karate, high school. Taught by Philipino guy with a monster round house kick, actually saw him put a guy down despite telegraphing the kick was coming.

Karate, generic taught by some ex military white guy who felt he had revolutionized the style with a vertical fist punch, turn first 90 degrees. wow!

Aikido, spent the first couple weeks learning to fall, too soft a style, got partnered with a serious nerd rager, zero control ability

Traditional Jiu Jitsu, lots of grappling, floor exercises, wrist locks, pretty good, but lost interest.

Tempted to try Brazilian (competition) Jiu Jitsu, with some Muy Tai kickboxing, in an MMA training format, but just lazy.

Almost tried traditional boxing, but wife pointed out that being punched in the head repeatedly, and being paid to think as an engineer do not go together. Tried a gym membership aka entered Narcissism Hell for a couple months, but got sick twice. Sick people go to the gym. I only get the itch to exercise in the Winter when it's cold outside.

If you want discipline get an S&M bondage lady to beat you weekly. The rest is bullshit for a buck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Rokhan wrote:
Also... from your experience, can martial arts teach discipline or must you have it to learn martial arts?

I am considering taking some lessons for the primary purpose of introducing more discipline into my life.

I think any athletic activity can help you develop self-discipline, but martial arts are better than most. A lot depends on the art; even more depends on the school and the teacher. I'd shop around a bit - if you're interested in self-discipline then I'd recommend a more formal/traditional school, perhaps traditional Kung Fu or an old-style Japanese art.

Ask to attend a few classes before you commit to anything long-term. Get to know the teacher, meet a couple other students, look for schools with more adults than kids, etc.

It takes a while to find a good school, but it can be very rewarding when you do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:38 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Don't dick around with traditional martial arts crap.

Learn Krav Maga and always be protected.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:43 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

There's always the bo staff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:26 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yep, Krav Maga's a great art if you want to learn how to break someone's face.

Not the sense I got from Rokhan's post, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:55 AM 
Noob
Noob

I wasn't too happy with krav maga to be honest... I've done it for 1 1/2 years and you just don't learn fighting from doing drills. The issue is exactly what you see in the video, older people and women hitting mitts and bags. "Its fun, you actually get to hit the bag hard!" says just about everything I experienced.

Then you spar with someone who has been boxing or MMAing for a few months and he wipes the floor with you. No, you won't kick him in the balls or go after his eyes because you will be on your stomach on the floor crying why you wasted all this time learning nothing.

So I switched to boxing, then Muay Thai with some grappling thrown in, lots of sparring and, tada: significantly less time invested, significantly more pain invested but much better results.

Discipline comes on its own, just the first few trainings are hard because you will question why you are putting yourself through this. But after that its very rewarding.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:38 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Krav Maga is just street fighting.

It sounds like he wants a traditional school, that teaches the art, culture, language, etc.

Find a traditional school, or culture you want to learn, or do like this guy, and just watch a lot of Bruce Lee movies

Then you'll be able to glow and beat this guy...

Offline Profile