It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Question... I can't quite figure out the right thing to search on and have not found any good sites. We went through Homerama and this is the 2nd or 3rd year I've noticed this - a lot of the walls had a faux/textured finish. It almost seemed like wallpaper. It was thick to the touch, almost like someone smeared a heavy, heavy glaze on the wall.

If I search on "textured paint", I get lots of stuff about buying the paint with granules in it for hiding flaws in a ceiling. If I search on faux finish, I get lots of stuff on sponging, raggings, dragging, etc.

This looks like those faux finishes, but it isn't using some transparent glaze... I don't think. It almost looks like a super thick, tintend paste was smeared on the wall and combed.

Anyone have a clue on this? I am tempted to doing something in one of the bathrooms to see how it turns out. But, I can't even find somewhere to start.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:54 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Think this might be what you want.

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Cr ... A1585.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:44 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Hmm... maybe. That isn't the direction I was thinking, but that might be what they're doing. Then, just slather some paint over it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:48 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

If you can figure out how to deal with the possible creases, you could put on a textured, paintable wallpaper. I saw those at teh Lowes when we were redoing our bathroom. I'm not a big fan of wallpaper, though. There were several patterns/textures that were all a light creme color. Like I said, though - you just need to figure out how to deal with the creases. I suppose if you were painting over it you could probably fill them in that way, but it may peel over time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 PM 
Do you smell that?

If you want to texture yourself, you're going to need to get the right equipment. A bucket of 40 minute mud (for base coat), a drywall sander, a texture sprayer and compressor, a 8 to 12 inch mud knife, and a bag of joint compound mix.

If the wall is currently painted, spread a thin layer of joint compound out over the entire wall with the knife. Let it dry and give it a light sand with the sander (you can repeat this mud/sand). Once dry, you'll need a texture sprayer. Borrow one, if you buy one, you'd better have an air compressor or its gonna cost you. Mix some of the dry mix with water in a clean bucket. You're not going to get this right on the first try. Some people say go for oatmeal consistency, I say go for cold gravy. Get some big pieces of cardboard or boards you can spray on and test your consistency with the sprayer. If it runs, add more. If it makes huge glops and is flopping out of the sprayer without being projected, then add water.

Spray your wall completely, then take the mud knife and LIGHTLY knock down the peaks on the texture. You can knock it down as little or as much as you want, some people like rougher, some like smoother. Just make sure it looks consistent. You can scrape it all off and redo it if you want. joint mix wont dry for a few hours.

Prime. Paint.

If you don't buy the sprayer and compressor, it'll cost you under 50 bucks to do a decent sized room.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:09 PM 
Lois Lane!

Check Modern Masters.

http://www.modernmasters.com/products.aspx?pl=TE

I might be able to find some other brands tomorrow from work, but I know MM has some texture paints.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:15 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Thanks for the tips all, I'll check it out. Sounds a tad more challenging than I had hoped, but I might give it a shot in a small room.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:54 AM 
Lois Lane!

Got another one for ya

http://www.daichcoatings.com/vs_finishes.html

Check those out. Most textured paints seem to require texture rollers, too. (Or at least ones with very thick naps).

Good luck

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:21 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

ShareefRahim wrote:
If you want to texture yourself, you're going to need to get the right equipment. A bucket of 40 minute mud (for base coat), a drywall sander, a texture sprayer and compressor, a 8 to 12 inch mud knife, and a bag of joint compound mix.

If the wall is currently painted, spread a thin layer of joint compound out over the entire wall with the knife. Let it dry and give it a light sand with the sander (you can repeat this mud/sand). Once dry, you'll need a texture sprayer. Borrow one, if you buy one, you'd better have an air compressor or its gonna cost you. Mix some of the dry mix with water in a clean bucket. You're not going to get this right on the first try. Some people say go for oatmeal consistency, I say go for cold gravy. Get some big pieces of cardboard or boards you can spray on and test your consistency with the sprayer. If it runs, add more. If it makes huge glops and is flopping out of the sprayer without being projected, then add water.

Spray your wall completely, then take the mud knife and LIGHTLY knock down the peaks on the texture. You can knock it down as little or as much as you want, some people like rougher, some like smoother. Just make sure it looks consistent. You can scrape it all off and redo it if you want. joint mix wont dry for a few hours.

Prime. Paint.

If you don't buy the sprayer and compressor, it'll cost you under 50 bucks to do a decent sized room.

Why do you need to do the base coat of mud first?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:43 PM 
Do you smell that?

The texture will stick better to mud than to painted wall. Plus it gives you a no-sheen surface so its easier to see what youre doing when spraying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:26 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

Not sure from the description but it sounds like you might be after what we call Artex here in the UK.

Offline Profile