All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:12 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
IMO this man had more of an impact to American lives than Michael Jackson yet he will have 1/50th of the coverage.

Quote:
Former CBS anchor 'Uncle Walter' Cronkite dead at 92
Walter Cronkite, the CBS anchorman known as "Uncle Walter" for his easygoing, measured delivery and "the most trusted man in America" for his rectitude and gravitas, died Friday night in his New York home, CBS reported.

Cronkite was 92.

"Walter was always more than just an anchor. He was someone we could trust to guide us through the most important issues of the day; a voice of certainty in an uncertain world," President Obama said in a statement Friday.

"He was family. He invited us to believe in him, and he never let us down. This country has lost an icon and a dear friend, and he will be truly missed."

His career spanned much of the 20th century, as well as the first decade of the 21st.

Full story here)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:37 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
krby71 wrote:
IMO this man had more of an impact to American lives than Michael Jackson yet he will have 1/50th of the coverage.

*nods* Just goes to show the mentality of this country these days lol...

On another note, the DEA is now looking into possibly making Propofol a controlled substance....so that what happened to michael doesn't happen to someone else. Hilarious.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:01 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Cronkite had an impact on American lives 30-40 years ago. Anyone under the age of 40 probably didn't feel much of an impact from him, so it's a bit unfair to say "that's the mentality of this country these days." Jackson's music had a much greater impression on me than Cronkite's reporting, but I'm 32. My parents are in their 50's now, and they have a stronger memory of him. It's all relative.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:11 PM 

Well really he has had an impact on journalism in its entirety(particularly broadcast journalism), and his legacy rather effectively trickled down through the years on innumerable professional journalists who undoubtedly have a direct impact on us today. In that sense at the very least, he's not getting the coverage he deserves.

As a country I think we should be able to recognize when a true legend has died, regardless of whether it was before our time or not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:07 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I guess I should read up more, but I don't really get what real "contribution" he made.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:25 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

He was off tv before I was old enough to pay attention, never really actually saw him do much of anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:26 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I actually think you guys have it backwards in your attempts to look like wise old men decrying the sad state of our society. I'd argue that Michael Jackson had far more of an "impact" overall on a variety of fronts than Cronkite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:36 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
I actually think you guys have it backwards in your attempts to look like wise old men decrying the sad state of our society. I'd argue that Michael Jackson had far more of an "impact" overall on a variety of fronts than Cronkite.

Yeah, but you can't really have it both ways. You can't tell people that they can't consider his coverage in light of his "recent" pedophilia crap and who he was TODAY, but rather by the entire legacy of his work....and then turn around and deny that one of the first true television "celebrities", a man so well known that he was referred to as Uncle Walt and EARNED the title of the "most trusted man in america"...and then say because no one today knows who he is, he's not as big or had as lasting an impact as Jackson.

The president spoke on the death of one, but not the other. That should tell you something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:00 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
rugen wrote:
The president spoke on the death of one, but not the other. That should tell you something.

That the public mourning of a man who may have been a pedophile is probably not in the president's best interests?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:11 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
and then say because no one today knows who he is, he's not as big or had as lasting an impact as Jackson.

I didn't say anything about timeframes or who did what when. I just made a flat statement that Jackson probably had a lot more influence than Cronkite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:45 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Wow this sucks. My parents loved him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:06 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Yeah, I'm 27 and I have to say that the impact on my life that I can appoint to Cronkite is pretty minimal. I'd have to say Ed Murrow had more of an impact than Cronkite, but that may just be because there's a movie about Murrow and so I know what he did that changed things forever. Cronkite was before my time, and while he was certainly an influence on the media, I don't have any quantifiable change coming from him.

Michael Jackson, absolutely.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:07 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
and then say because no one today knows who he is, he's not as big or had as lasting an impact as Jackson.

I didn't say anything about timeframes or who did what when. I just made a flat statement that Jackson probably had a lot more influence than Cronkite.

Also, whether we like it or not, the impact and influence Jackson had was not just in America, but a great chunk of the world. =P

Offline Profile