It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:30 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gym question!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:08 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I'm going to join a gym, I have to...I'm sitting on my ass far too much with work, and I can't afford the $2k treadmill that is the ONLY model I've seen that's silent enough (and won't heat my office up to an inferno) while I'm working :P

It's down to these two: 24 Hour Fitness (Sports one, with a pool yay)
Curves

My reasons:

24: They have lots of cool classes, and I'd only have to pay extra for Pilates if I want it (and shit my cousin teaches one of the best Pilates classes in Los Angeles/Hollywood, I can go there free if I want Pilates!)
They have a pool, and I love swimming and I am sure I will love their water classes because I looove water!
They have lots of cool shit there that makes me think I won't get bored & some things that foster competition, which...I do better with as I'm competitive.
They have computerized shit that is cool, like cycling class with music, and faux roads and shit.

Curves: All chicks, huge plus. A gym is not a dating/meat market for me. Though I'm sure the lesbian ladies cannot resist me ;) women are far less annoying than most men. Plus there would be no 'meat market' vibe, which is really far more the issue since I haven't had to use my club to beat away suitors lately. :lol:
I hear the machine rotation is cool, and keeps it from being boring or too difficult for those out of shape. (Round is a shape tho, right?)
No body image bullshit. I'm not there for a fashion show, but I think it would bug me less given the size variety at Curves, vs. the um chique fashion show that exists on one level at 24 hour fitness (the one I'm interested in anyway). I don't need to see the Stepford wives crew I see at the spa.
Seems somewhat...easier. Which might keep me going more frequently!

--------

I plan to do the free week before I sign up, but I know lots of people here have done both. Only reason I'm asking instead of just doing a month to month is 24 hour fitness has a $200 for 1 year special (vs. close to $80 for just a fucking month! on the month to month). So I'd rather do that if I go with them. Curves is a lot cheaper.

And yes, yes, I know about the Curves/anti-abortion shit. I'm not worried about it. It's just the founder and he's entitled to support his beliefs in his personal life. Lots of people do, it's not like he's supporting killing doctors or some silly shit. I mean shit if he were Catholic (and he might be I dunno) just donating there supports settlements for child molesters and anti-abortion stuff too. So I'm aware, and for me it's a non-issue. :)

So any info is cool. There's also a Bally's kinda sorta near me but it sucks as a facility. Which is why I'm only considering these two. There's also lots of small private hole in the wall places, but they're either 'Gold's Gym' knockoffs, or 'Curves' knockoffs, or faux gyms which are really about selling suppliments, clothing, and the juice bar :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gym question!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:33 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

This is just hearsay, but I think Curves has a reputation for inferior equipment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:48 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
I've been walking/biking and looking into Tai Chi - awaiting a reply to my letter to the local Master.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:08 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Go with the gym that is the most convenient and that you will use the most. Sounds like Curves, to me. The biggest problem people have at gym's is not the equipment but something keeping them from going. For some it's the feeling that they're in a meat market, for others it's that there are too many hot/in-shape people that go.

I joined the gym here at work. I'm about 30 lbs overweight - not too bad, but I swear I think I am the fattest guy that goes. Due to where I work, there are a lot of people who have to tend to their appearance, so a lot of them are in amazing shape and look great. So I went at 3:30pm as my "lunch" break until I got comfortable (it was deserted). I do SPIN classes 3 days a week at lunch now that I'm more comfortable, and it's made a world of difference, building up to that.

Do you really care if the step machine you are using is a $3000 or a $2000 machine? It doesn't matter. Pick the gym that offers the best blend of convenience and comfort. Price shouldn't matter much, you're making an important investment.

BTW - Spin classes are amazing. If you can build up to doing an entire 50-60 minute spin class, you'll be in amazing shape. I've not done a great job losing weight - my diet sucks (it doesn't help that there is a food court in the building I work) but I am in very good shape at this point. Getting ready for my hiking trip to Switzerland.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I don't know about there, but here in the Dallas 'burbs the 24 hour fitness is a glorified day-care. That alone has turned me off from the 24 Hour fitness centers here.

I joined my town's Community Activities Center (CAC). It does have a "waterpark" outside but it also has an indoor lap pool and weight training centers. The kiddos stay outside and those that are there to work out have the indoors to ourselves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:37 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I joined 24 hour fitness once (did a 3 month thing where I paid for all 3 months) and it was great because they had a basketball court and I went there at like 3am.

I really liked 24 hour fitness and would join again if they had one here. If the cost is bumming you out, they do run specials from time to time.

Here is the best advice I can give you though: Don't sign up for anything longer than 3 months because frankly, by then you will have quit. I knew that before going into it and was glad that I didn't pay for too much. I know month-to-month can be more expensive, but trust me, you will save a lot more money in the long run.

I have met probably a half a dozen people that did that stupid 3 year Ballys contract thing and they NEVER go to the gym. (I don't even know if they still do that).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:21 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
Tarot,

Convenience and enjoyment are the most important factors in exercise as an adult, period. If you are going to make the change to get healthy it needs to be, and frankly you should want it to be, permanent. This means that you need to go with the choice that is going to most inspire you to continue getting healthy.

Price is rough, but you have to think of it as investing in yourself and your health/energy. It should still be pointed out that getting in shape can be very cheap, you really don't need many machines / facilities.

That being said, the best workout routine for someone like you would probably be a mix of steady cardio combined with yoga. Do whatever cardio you will enjoy the most, be it swimming or riding a bike. This will get you the calorie burn you need along with lowering your blood pressure and increasing your metabolism. You should do this in 40 minute sessions, with 5 minutes of warm up and cool down included. Pick an appropriate target heart rate and stick to it for the 30 minutes in the middle. Yoga is great for core training and making yourself "feel" more healthy, which is the end result you want. Yoga is also great because rarely are you going to get the full out bodybuilders around you, making you feel more comfortable with the environment. The flexibility aspect of yoga is also important to getting more out of your cardio and feeling like you are improving. Plus, yoga isn't hard.

Obviously I am not a person trainer, but I really do know quite a bit about this stuff. If I were in your shoes I would go with curves, using a bike for my cardio and doing any yoga/general fitness classes that are available and convenient. You will see great results without extreme impact on your lifestyle using this method.

In short, the key is going to be in the long term rather than the short term so keep that in mind.

PS, If you are going to start working out make sure you are eating a full and healthy breakfast. Not only will this produce weight loss over time, but you will feel far better during your workout. I know this stuff works because it previously allowed me to lose 50 lbs in 5 months.

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:25 PM 

BTW - one thing that helped me tremendously was having some form of entertainment while working out. Music and headphones are nice, but you'd be surprised how much mileage 5 seasons of Family Guy will give you. If you have a device that can play video, load it up with something you want to watch. NPR has some really awesome podcasts, too.'

edit: one last thing. My gym has the option to buy a locker for a year for about $150. Outside of the convenience of just having a permanent locker, they also do daily laundry runs. I noticed one thing that kept me from working out is when I forgot my clean gym clothes. If your gym has this option, you must get it. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:30 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
sex is the best workout imho

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I don't like the gym mostly. When I went I just played basketball for a few hours a night and went home. The gym seems too hamster wheel to me. I dunno, I just get way too bored walking for 30mins and going nowhere.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Quote:

Digilos! Dude, you need to come around more often--- I miss ya.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Fribur wrote:
Quote:

Digilos! Dude, you need to come around more often--- I miss ya.

hmm, something more going on here? Digilos comes in posting about sex and Frib gets all excited...

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

u r gay lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 AM 

Quote:
hmm, something more going on here? Digilos comes in posting about sex and Frib gets all excited...
This one time.. at band camp..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:19 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
Tarot, I may have missed it in your original post, but what are your main reasons for going to a gym?

Just curious, as most people I know tend to get a gym membership, only use 1 or 2 of the machines, and then cancel because they feel they're overpaying for the use of all of the facilities. And some of the extra classes, such as spinning, tend not to be included in the membership and cost extra - just something to be aware of, I guess.

You also mentioned you enjoy swimming, so you can probably just do that at a local swimming club/pool for much cheaper if that's all your keen on. Swimming alone is quite the workout if done regularly, and will easily keep you fit.
Unless you want the work-out side of things as well. Dunno.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:44 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Frib moved away from Muncie, no more GAY SEX for us.

:(

Frib:

Yeah, Very busy have new construction at work and we're doing some remodeling ourselves in the old part... so I'm usually pretty pooped when I get home.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:51 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
I go to Planet Fitness a couple times a week with my friend.
Sometimes we do the 30 minute work out. That way you do not even have to think about it.

Go at a pace that is good for you, but, do not over do it.
Attachment:
muscle.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:43 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

how is that guy even able to move.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:47 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

That does not even look natural err How can a person get those kind of muscles in the first place?!?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:54 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I can swim at my parents house all I want, it's just that when it's the best time for *me* I'd be alone and I'm a bit paranoid about swimming alone in a pool.

I've had an ear infection all week kicking my ass, STILL kicking my ass, so I haven't done anything more on this. I'll probably just do a free membership at both places, check it out, and go with whichever I think I'll actually continue doing. Which will probably be 24 hour fitness since I'll nag my spouse into joining and doing a couple of classes with me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:33 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Seems like a good plan. For me convenience is key, cuz I'm a lazy ass. Any excuse not to go to the gym usually seems like a good one when you're faced with the decision of working out vs. dicking around on the computer or watching a movie or whatever.

G'luck

Offline Profile