It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:31 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:36 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Vanamar wrote:
meh. AT&T should have planned a year ago for the eventuality of tethering with the iphone. I would have figured they'd see dollar signs in their eyes when people want to tether with the iphone.

And the lack of MMS support from the iphone 1.0's release was fucking sick, there's no reason any phone made in the 21st century shouldn't support picture messaging out of the box.

Yeah that's apple's fault, not ours. They claim they would have had to build the phone from the ground up to get it into the 2g and the 3g model.

We don't plan anything, at&t stands for "at this time" for a very good reason. Even our directors call us that, it's comedy gold.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:57 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

I have an original iPhone. I use it all the time. I really like it. I don't mind AT&T, I can find wifi most places I go. I like AT&T because of rollover. It has saved me a lot of money. I have 4 phone lines and my plan is ~$130/month. My only complaint with my iPhone is that sometimes it is tricky to get it out of headphone mode , but probably that's my fault because I use it so much.

I am considering an upgrade because I fall into the "you can get it cheap" category, but we still don't have 3G here in Auburn, Alabama. Now we did have a lot of Alltell penetration here and my understanding is that part of the agreement for Verizon to buy Alltell is that they were going to have to sell a bunch of their towers (and Alabama is one of those places) to AT&T. Hopefully this will increase the chances of 3g getting to us sooner rather than later.

Solanthius - do you know anything about 3G deployment? And how soon before the new 7.2Mbps network comes on line?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:12 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
ATT's supposedly bringing 3G to Auburn this year - http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRel ... RN20090212

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:13 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Alltel selling their towers to AT&T won't really do them any good until they get retrofitted with GSM gear, since Alltel is a CDMA network (using the same frequencies as Verizon, even!)

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:25 AM 

Nice find Leo, thanks!

Van, yeah I know about the cdma/gsm thing, but if you have the tower, at least you got a place to put your stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:27 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
yeah, it takes some of the expense away, but with the tower does not come the connection to the land line network. That has to be provisioned, the equipment has to be put in place and tested, etc etc. It takes about a month to refit a tower.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:22 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
They also have to resubmit for frequency spectrum allocation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:52 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Not to totally belabor this point, but..

I'm leaving for Switzerland in 10 days (hooray), and, for free, was able to download the following apps:

local.ch (official Swiss phone book)
Currency converter
Switzerland events (LOTS of listings of swiss events)

There's also a guided tour app for the Jungfrau region with GPS location - tells you facts about the point of interest on the trail - mostly related to climate change.

About to buy iRail, an app for $1.99 that will route Euro Rail itineraries - accurate departure times and route durations. This will be helpful as our itinerary goes from Geneva > Bern > Zurich > Grindelwald > Geneva.

That's what a huge amount of apps can get you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:15 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Jox, you need to add international data to the phone otherwise you'll be charged at .02c per kb of data, and it adds up quick.

20mb for 24.99
50mb for 59.99
100mb for 119.99
200mb for 199.99

or, if you travel and have your work reimburse you for your cell phone, you can get unl domestic and international data no matter where you go for 64.99, it's a hell of a deal as it's only 34.99 more then what you pay now, but you have to keep the feature on a year or you'll be charged a feature ETF of $175.00.

Don't be a deucebag and call with a 5 thousand dollar bill that needs researched, that's what I do all day long =(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 AM 

haha

yeah man. it's on my wife's to-do to add the international calling and data. I hope we can add it for only this month and turn it off when we're done. But yeah we're going to add that stuff to my phone, probably leave hers dark.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:37 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Just making sure, after the fucking fiasco we just had with that jackass from Mythbusters, our dept is tightening up on credits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:00 AM 

I am extremely pleased with my iPhone. I have been a Software Admin / Developer for 5 years and now Technology Coordinator / Tech Teacher so my cell phone needs have changed over the years. I have found a lot of useful functionalities with the iPhone more than any other phone I have owned. As a Youth Minister for nearly 10 years, this is the ONLY way I can contact and communicate with my kids. Especially with the 3.0 release, it does a great job. Oh, an probably most importantly, the iPhone is the greatest Toilet gaming system out there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:49 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
iPhone tethering works fine with the new 3.0 release. MMS unfortunately does not but you can be ready for its release later this summer.

Just get a copy of Itunes 8.2 .0.10, download the ATT_US.ipcc update and run it. MMS is enabled even though ATT wont let you use it and tethering works like a champ.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:46 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Here's my disclaimer, Khan. We're sweeping every night to remove the tethering and mms capability until it officially launch's. Check your bill to make sure you didn't get billed for data usage while tethering, otherwise we've already been told from on high that if charges happen while the work arounds are being used, you're shit out of luck and we're not crediting the charges. And before you even ask I don't work in customer care and I "am" in the know on this shit, so be careful, all of you that are using the work arounds.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:21 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Interesting thread. I've been debating what to do about my cell phone usage once I move to Atlanta, since work's been paying for my blackberry for the past couple of years. I think I may go with the iPhone after the move and just keep my work Blackberry running as well until tethering is set up. I'm allowed to stay on the individual liability contract as an alumni perk, so I don't have to worry about cancellation fees, which is nice.

Offline Profile