It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:44 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vonage
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:17 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I'm considering setting up a Vonage line for work. I currently have a business line at home (seperate) that I'm paying for, and using Vonage would save me quite a bit (basically it would be about $100 a month more in my pocket even after paying for Vonage at least, because I can have a different regional area code too).

Here's my questions for anyone familiar with it:

1) Line quality: The phone quality has to be as good as Verizon's current phone quality. If it's just 'decent'...I can't go with it. I need crystal clear.

2) Bandwidth: I'm on a Verizon DSL connection, will it be a resource whore and bork my connection speed? That's not a deal breaker but I'm hoping it won't suck.

3) Does it connect at all through my computer or do I need a seperate phone jack or special DSL hook up or anything? What's the deal there. And can I use any phone with it once it's hooked up.

4) Does the service ever go down, and if so how frequently?

And if you wouldn't recommend Vonage, what would you recommend for a service which can give you any area code that does what I want. :D

Thanks in advance, etc. :skewl:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vonage
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:02 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
1) line quality is dependant on a lot of factors. if you have a good internet connection, then line quality is pretty good.

2) It *can* -- If you have a good router for your DSL connection, it usually won't. Try to get one that's made for VOIP service.

3) Vonage won't touch your computer. The adapter plugs into your router, and your phone plugs into the adapter. You may need to open ports on the router for the adapter device.

4) In my experience, Vonage has never had a service outage that wasn't related to a larger internet outage that didn't just affect them.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:50 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
Magic Jack *nod*

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:19 AM 

I really enjoy Vonage for the most part.

I don't like that my name doesn't come up on other Caller ID's when I call. People who avoid sell calls my not answer when you call.

I have my DirecTv set up with CallerID, which was a cool feature. Since my Vonage is in my computer and my LCD is in my living room that kind of messes me up from that feature. It isn't necessarily Vonage's fault but, utilizing Vonage will neglect you from small perks.

In your scenario, I think it would be very nice. Quality is great. I had one bad experience when I downloading a patch and it seems to impact Vonage but, it only happened once. Nice features, nice price, and their online account system is nice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:34 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I believe that you can configure what comes up on caller ID on vonage's website. It's been about six months or so since I've been a subscriber, and before I cancelled my service I hadn't logged into their site for almost two years.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:09 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
STAY AWAY from Magic Jack. Their contract reads like admission papers for Auschwitz.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:39 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
I'm very happy with ATT callvantage

If you have a router that does QoS you can put the box behind your router.. or if not you can put it in front of your router and things will be somewhat 'seamless'. Which works, hurts your latency a little on WoW and adds another hop, but eh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:34 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Be sure to check various sites for packet shaping. ESPECIALLY if you are a cable subscriber. Comcast and Time Warner (not sure about Cox now) are notorious for delaying Vonage packets to the point of making the service unusable in some areas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:29 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Syuni D'zpecyzczn wrote:
STAY AWAY from Magic Jack. Their contract reads like admission papers for Auschwitz.

Yeah Ive heard a lot of people say that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:51 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

CakvalaSC wrote:
Syuni D'zpecyzczn wrote:

Yeah Ive heard a lot of people say that.

I had already decided to stay away from them because it uses your computer resources. But YIKES!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:07 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

And thanks all, I think I'll give Vonage a test run before the end of the month, since I'll get a month free.

Anyone currently using it that can get some bonus from a refer a friend or anything? I can say you refered me or whatever if it helps anyone out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:34 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

I've used Vonage with Cox Cable for a few years now, only time I've seen any loss in call quality is when I've had like 3 torrents running at the same time. I've been very pleased with the service. I've also been using their cheaper plan they don't really advertise, it's $14.99 /month +tax fees, comes out to about $17 for me, that's the same as the $25 a month plan except you only get 500 minutes outgoing, but unlimited incoming and overage is something silly like 2 cents a minute.

One of the things I really like about the service is their voicemail, included in the standard service they'll automatically email you any voicemail you get as a .wav file attachment, so since I get my emails on my cell phone I instantly know if someone's left me a message on my home line.

If you want to PM me your email Tarot I'll send you one of those refer a friend things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:05 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Will do, and that plan sounds even better since I need it primarily for inbound calls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:47 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
I have been using Packet 8 for about 3 years now. No hidden fees, etc. Caller ID, E911, can go online and route all my home phone calls to my cell # if I am out of town for no fee, add an additional phone number for only $5 a month extra so you have a 2 phone number phone in one. Never a single day down.

$19.99/mo. $24 and change with all the bullshit taxes and such.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile