It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:35 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A sad story...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:59 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Rarely to I begin to read an article quickly, then stop, go back, and read it slowly and thoroughly as I did this one.

This story is incredibly sad, and somewhat uplifting at the same time. I don't have much to say about it, but I imagine it will move some of you as much as it did me.

http://tampabay.com/features/humaninter ... 750838.ece

If you keep up with Fark, then you've already probably seen this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A sad story...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:22 PM 
Bridge Dweller

tl;dr, summary?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:11 PM 

Kid kept in room with her own feces for 7 years before found and taken from mother. Long description of the consequences for the child, and what happened since.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:24 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
damn, just damn...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:18 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Pretty sad but not as uncommon as we'd like it to be. I have dealt with a lot of this during my career, mostly early on. There's a lot of fucked up parents in this world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:40 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!

Pure laziness. This type of shit INFURIATES me.

The mom is too lazy to concern herself with anything other than her own interests, completely avoiding the child that was apparently the result of a fling simply because she didn't mean to have her.

The worst part is when the mom, who is absolutely disinterested in caring for the child, acts like she was wronged and like she lost something when the child was taken. If anyone believes she's not wallowing in her laziness even more now that her burden has been lifted from her, you're naive. The only reason she's acting like that is to try to redeem herself publicly by acting like a victim. Don't believe for a second that she's actually interesting in getting the child back and caring for her.

In my line of work, I see this crap all the time. The only way out for the parents is DCF taking their kid. It's either that or wind up having to WORK and CARE about someone other than themselves, or wind up in prison when the kid dies because of their neglect.

So many people have no perception of consequence and care nothing about what tomorrow holds. When something happens that inconveniences them even the slightest, no matter how major it is, they will make every excuse to free themselves of it at any expense to anyone else.

Pure laziness. It's the backbone of crime and the foundation for the decline of society.

Also, the fact that the mother spent no time in prison for permanently ruining this child and letting her wallow in filth for nearly seven years is an atrocity in itself. What the State Attorney was thinking by offering her probation in exchange for a waiver of parental rights is beyond my comprehension. What judge in their right mind would ever re-instate her as a parent in the first place? They basically offered her freedom in exchange for not having to spend time in court with her later, during her appeals. Piss-poor enforcement and totally shameful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:25 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Why did they need to her waive rights? A case of neglect that egregious should be more then enough to give cause to strip her fucking rights.

I don't know that it's laziness, just a complete lack of care for anyone other then themselves, pure selfishness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:52 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
I think that the state made the right decision in offering the deal. What was most important was doing everything within their power to help Dani start a normal life. This would have been impossible as long as the birth mother fought for her parental rights.

Jail would only have served to punish the birth mother rather than act as a deterrent or rehabilitation, and while that would have made the public feel better, it would have done nothing for Dani.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:08 PM 

That may be true in a normal case of Birth Mother vs. Adoptive Parents, but this is completely different. There is absolutely NO reason for this lady to have any parental rights. She has no argument and no grounds for appeal. Besides, the child is so damaged that she would be completely unaffected by the court proceedings and most likely wouldn't recognize her birth mother anyways.

Punishment is what she deserves. There is no need for rehabilitation because she's made it clear she doesn't plan on having kids or caring for them. Rehabbing her into a good mother serves no purpose.

The deterrent effect of prison works toward the population rather than just toward the offender and is perfectly clear in this case: neglect your children and go to prison.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:34 PM 
Bridge Dweller

http://www.azcentral.com/community/surp ... 3-ONL.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:41 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

According to the report, the mother has an IQ of 77. She's borderline retarded. It's an incredibly sad story, but I'm not sure that more punishment would accomplish much. She was never fit to be a mother and never will be. What's important is what happens to the child now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:11 AM 
Bridge Dweller

That brings up an interesting question. Are mentally handicapped people able to take care of children? Should they be allowed to bear children? If so, what are the guidelines? Are they free to "care" for the children as they please? Are they forced to abort or give the child up for adoption should they become parents? If not, what is the basis for disallowing such a practice?

Interesting to think about...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:58 AM 

She has two adult sons that were apparently raised at least somewhat properly (read: not neglected). The child was tested and had no hereditary physical or mental disabilities and no defects at birth. The mother simply did not want to take care of her.

Anyone who lives in a house full of roaches, trash, and excrement to the extent described in the article is STRAIGHT UP LAZY. The follow-up at the end of the article where the writer entered her residence at the time and described it as simple and clean is all the evidence you need to prove that she has the CAPABILITY of maintaining a household. She simply chose not to when presented with the hardship of an unplanned pregnancy.

She's baiting you with the "I'm a VICTIM! I'm mentally disabled and they TOOK MY CHILD!" shit, and you're biting. The DCF even offered her help, and she refused. If she had any regard at all for Dani and wasn't 100% concerned with getting in trouble if someone saw how sick she was, the mother would have at least accepted DCF's offers. Again, it's all about her, with not a care about how others are affected (even her own child).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:03 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Quote:
Anyone who lives in a house full of roaches, trash, and excrement to the extent described in the article is STRAIGHT UP LAZY.

Just out of curiosity, are you a Republican?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:40 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
Anyone who lives in a house full of roaches, trash, and excrement to the extent described in the article is STRAIGHT UP CRAZY.

fixed that for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:50 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
I agree. This isn't laziness, this is brokenness. The woman still does not comprehend that she had done anything wrong to her 'beloved child', and continued to attempt to contact her after she had been taken away. Does that excuse what happened? No. But it does show that jailtime will not solve this issue.

While it borders on eugenics, I'd like to see anyone convicted of gross child neglect sterilized. No jailtime, just a few days in the hospital to ensure they can never reproduce again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:52 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
Quote:
Anyone who lives in a house full of roaches, trash, and excrement to the extent described in the article is STRAIGHT UP LAZY.

Just out of curiosity, are you a Republican?

Is republican the new bad word in place of Liberal for this election year? There's always 1 group that gets charactorized in some negative, stereotypical way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:56 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
No, I am genuinely curious. Not saying one thing or another.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:24 PM 

I don't really consider myself affiliated with either party. My stances usually tend more towards liberal.

That said, the reason I feel the way I feel about this issue is because I see it quite often. There are entirely too many parents who are completely disinterested in caring for their children when the child is the result of an unplanned pregnancy.

I also deal with mentally ill people on a regular basis. The fact that she now lives in a clean trailer (or did at the time of the story) proves that she can maintain a household. During the girl's time locked in the closet, the mother was entirely capable of doing the same, she just chose to go out and get drunk and play bingo with her boyfriend instead of caring for her home and her child. Mental illness is not something that just goes away over time. Even with proper medication, very few mentally ill people who were, at one point, incapable of caring for themselves ever become self-sufficient.

To me, this lady falls into the category of "lazy and worthless" more than she fits "mentally incapable of sustaining".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Semantics. Everyone agrees that she's not fit to be a mother. From what I gather in the article, the boys are arguably mentally incapable too. It's not like she raised two rhodes scholars and then threw this girl to the wolves. She's clearly either incapable OR unwilling to be a proper parent. I suspect somewhere in the middle. Regardless, the measures that I want to see taken are ones that remove endangered children from her and get them help. These measures have been taken in this case.

As much as an emotional part of me would like to see her kicked in the head repeatedly, I really don't see any appreciable benefit to corporal punishment here. I do not believe it would have any rehabilitative or deterrent effect on her or anyone else. It would make us all feel a little better, sure, but if it was sacrificed in the name of a timely extraction and placement of the child rather than lengthy court proceedings, I can live with that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:12 PM 

I don't understand how you can't see the deterrent effect in this case. The more unwilling parents who see that they can neglect their kids, even to this degree of damage, without punishment other than having their "burden" lifted by DCF, the more children are put in this position in the first place. True, people like this woman, regardless of whether her actions are a product of worthlessness or incapability, will be largely unaffected. If putting her in jail convinces even ONE parent to act right, then it was worth it.

I think the whole "jail is rehab" stance has been falling more and more out of favor nowadays. The repeat offender rate is sky high, and the VAST majority of violent crimes are committed by repeat and career offenders. It's becoming more and more clear that jail does not work as a rehabilitator.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:34 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Perhaps that's because jail and prison isn't designed as 'rehabilitation'...it's a penal system.

Maybe we'd have more luck if it focused more on rehabilitation. /shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:39 PM 

I understand that it's a penal system, and that's the way it should be.

What I'm saying is that people have been trying to make it a rehabilitation process, and it clearly has not worked in that regard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

But it's *not* a rehabilitation system nor has it ever been, so you can't really indict it for failing at something that it has never been.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 PM 

I'm not indicting jails for failing at rehabilitating criminals.

I'm in favor of incarcerating her for the crime she committed, regardless of whether or not it will have any rehabilitative effect on her at all. Doing so will serve to punish her and deter others from committing a similar crime. I'm disagreeing with jailing (or not jailing) on the grounds of rehab potential and supporting jailing as a punishment and deterrent.

I threw in the bit about rehab systems failing because it seemed to me like Zat was saying that he disagreed with jailing her beause it wouldn't "help" her or the situation. She should be jailed as punishment, not because it might help her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:10 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I don't necessarily disagree with jailing her. It's just not a priority to me. I don't think it will have as much deterrent effect as you assign it, and if passing on it expedites the girls removal and speedy placement into a beneficial situation, it's a trade off that I don't have a problem with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 PM 

Like I said earlier... in a typical neglect situation, removing the child asap and assuring that she stays out of a court battle could be worth dropping jail time.

In this case, the offense was so egregious and the child was so damaged that it wouldn't matter. The child would have no awareness of what was going on, and the mother has absolutely no ground to stand on if she appealed to get the child back or get visitation rights. Removing the child permanently was an obvious first step.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I'm not seeing where her not being punished was necessary for the girl to recieve proper care.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:01 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
It probably wasn't. However when you're in a situation like Dani was where chances were very high that no one would adopt her, if someone pops up out of the woodwork who wants her and will care for her, you do whatever you can do to ensure that that family gets pretty much whatever they want within your power. In this case, they wanted to legally adopt Dani and I would not be surprised if they were pressuring the agency to just get it over with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:12 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Kiwaukee wrote:
SNIP

She should be jailed as punishment, not because it might help her.

In that we agree, though I disagree with your previous statements of it as a deterrent to others (if that was you who made that statement, I'm just going off memory).

There's also a lot to the story that isn't in that article, which should be obvious to anyone with even the slightest background in these types of things. There would have been no need to drop *drug charges* to sever parental rights if the case had been purely what was laid out in the article. The mother's emotional involvement and the fact the woman cared enough to visit the child in the hospital and take pictures of her says there's a fuck of a lot more to this story.

Here's what I'm going to bet wasn't mentioned, but was alluded to.

I'm going to bet that the mother was extremely ill elsewhere and once again left the girl with the retarded older brother. This is alluded to in the article when the woman claims she was sick and things got beyond her. This would explain the horrendous conditions of the house, as well as the immediate condition of the child. (Not justify, nothing could...I'm saying 'explain'). The conditions while horrific btw...are not the worst *I* have personally seen. So quite frankly I think the social worker sobbing at the curb is the author embellishing, or it was her first day on the job. The cop puking...again, I've seen men gag at a diaper in a good situation.

Because there's simply no way if those conditions are accurate that the police aren't arresting on scene. Not the bullshit of 'let CFS handle it'. Let CFS handle it is told if: there's food, no visible abuse, shelter, etc. If it's non emergency then CFS handles. This was an emergency and a criminal case.

Plus, weren't they there for dope anyway?

So...there's LOTS we're not being told, and some of it is highly manipulated in such a way that frankly I don't trust the author of the article.

So then we flash forward to Mom having been investigated previously. There's an important clue there. Social workers found lousy conditions, but nothing like what was described on the day the child was removed (obviously). And years before the child is showing the problems she exhibited when she was taken away, despite the fact that she was experiencing social stimulus.

Also these children are not called 'feral children' by psychologists, nor is it even akin to feral children. Feral children are children which attach to an animal and model it's behavior, rather than human behavior. And there are sad examples in modern society of that happening (primarily with abused children and dogs, where children have been chained in the backyard with animals and are treated like a dog and not socialized). We HAVE case studies in modern day of these kids...and it's nothing like these situations.

I also reviewed cases like Dani's in psychology courses, and environmental autism...while also inaccurate is the best descriptor. There are other clinical names assigned, but they also are incomplete (such as attachment disorder, etc. which fails to fully encompass it). In such cases what you have are profoundly retarded children due to lack of stimulation during infancy, coupled (almost always) with severe malnutrition. These children are severely neglected, and are often kept on a bottle, and are usually found by the age of 7 or under (because they probably die off past that age due to malnutrition frankly). When found they generally have the physical appearance of infants or small toddlers, despite being years older.

If they've had no stimulation and are found after about the age of 3, there's not much hope for them. They are non-verbal and are severely retarded. Children who have better recoveries generally are found to have had SOME stimulation during critical development, usually from a relative.

It's beyond fucked up, especially when in two of the case studies we looked at (both old cases out of NY) the mother had had previous children removed from her custody.

In both cases the mother was a single parent, and completely apathetic. The mothers in all cases never fought for custodial rights. Ever. They seemed glad to be rid of them. So why didn't they call and turn the kids over?

I don't know. My guess is that they felt some family/societal pressure. In one case the mother was receiving welfare that she wouldn't have gotten without the children. And, I think part of it was sheer laziness. Similar to some people who abuse animals and can't be bothered to get off their asses and feed them, but have no real problems surrendering them to Animal Control when they finally show up...but can't be bothered to call them and ask them to come get them.

In every single instance we looked at of severe neglect, the mother and children were isolated. No one saw the children to report it. They were always impoverished, though some of them did work (but did not socialize outside of work/home). Most of them seem to have been 'caught' when the children weren't registered for school.

Oh and another point that was made repeatedly was that the mothers in these cases (almost all) tested below average IQ. However, this isn't really an accurate issue. Most of the mothers were also inner city, minority, and had not completed high school, and there's always been issues with the validity of intelligence tests when given to people who have grown up in inner city school districts, as well as cries of cultural bias.

What it failed to note was how well each person functioned outside of this issue, and that's an important indictation.

When you have neglectors who are clearly keeping themselves clean, keeping themselves fed, keeping themselves sheltered (such as the two parents who neglected an infant while gaming), clearly...CLEARLY the parents are culpable. While addiction often plays a role in those cases (parents are more interested in pursing addiction than caring for child) it certainly doesn't mitigate their responsibility. It only helps to understand the dynamics.

When you have a parent, such as in this case, who fails to care for themselves as well...then you have an issue of competence.

There are some people who are actually trying, but due to disease and/or defect are incapable of caring for a child. The responsibility these people bear IMHO is in direct purportion to their capacity to see their inability. In other words, do they think they're doing okay, or do they realize they're fucking this up and can't do it...and to what degree do they know that.

Based PURELY on the article and nothing else, I hate to say it but the mother does give indications that she actually cares about the child. And that she is incapable rather than willfully neglectful. That doesn't absolve her though, she was aware something was wrong, and she was aware that the state would try to take the child (though she claims she believed that was due to the child's retardation rather than neglect) but given the damning information the mother does give...I almost wonder if she's capable of deception beyond self deception.

I think the fact that the DA was worried she might regain custody might be due to that fact too. Family court places a HUGE distinction between intentional acts and unintentional situations. And there's a lot of programs in place to assist people in parenting when they have problems due to mental illness or retardation, etc.

Which would explain their willingness to offer up the deal they did. Mom was willing to fight for the kid and there was a risk she could stay involved with the child or more likely the rights wouldn't be severed and the child couldn't be adopted (which means no foster home can be considered a perm. situation).

Now don't think I'm defending the mother here. She was willing to sign over the kid purely in her own self interest. She sees herself as a victim, not her child. This is not a good person and to whatever extent exists she's certainly responsible.

I just think shes also Crazy McBatshit. = \

Now here's the really scary thing to think about. Schools often catch abuse. With more and more parents able to 'home school', you can bet there's going to be an awful lot of really horrible situations which no one picks up on because there's no one to see what's happening. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:56 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

This is obviously severe gross neglect, almost to the point of death, and permanent scaring her for life. The way fathers get jerked around in this country why the fuck weren't her rights stripped outright and the adopting family given the adoption rights? Her being in jail and the family adopting Dani aren't mutually exclusive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:35 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

You don't know anything beyond what the article represents. That's why I'm skeptical that her situation was to the point of her almost dying...and yet her mother wasn't arrested for child abuse.

Her mother had drug charges that were dropped in exchange for her relinquishing her parental rights.

It seems far more likely we don't have the entire story, because even in shitty Florida (sorry Leo!) where their child services suck balls...if it was as presented there's no fucking way that woman wouldn't lose rights AND do substantial prison time.

So there's a lot more to it, is my guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Florida's Department of Children & Families has been marred by horrible implementation for a long time. It's starting to get better, but has a long way to go.

I'm sure there's more to the story, but the important thing now is that Dani is in a loving and caring family.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:39 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

Tarot wrote:
So...there's LOTS we're not being told, and some of it is highly manipulated in such a way that frankly I don't trust the author of the article.

Yeah, this article hardly a professionally written piece. To be perfectly honest, I thought I was reading straight-up fiction because of the style it was presented in. Not that I don't believe that things like this can happen, but the author injected her half-baked literary flare to everything in the story. And yeah, the writer's comprehension of the legal details is obviously lacking.

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:01 AM 
Bridge Dweller

You can tell who are parents in this thread and who aren't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:06 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Can you now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:47 PM 

xskycrasherx wrote:
You can tell who are parents in this thread and who aren't.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it reminds me of another thing I didn't like about the article. The whole thing seems designed for average parents masturbating about how great they are through hyperbole, as if you can embody good simply by not being insanely bad. Since it reads like a novel, I can't help but critique it as one. It constantly lists little things, like combing hair or singing to the child, that parents love to think makes them special to their children, as if doing those tiny things entitles them to lavish praise. Actually, the author could probably have spared the reader some time and written large swaths of this article in powerpoint. Stuff Dani did: x, y, z. Stuff her brother taught her: a, b, c. Physical characteristics of the girl to be oft repeated: x, y, z. Mistaken diagnoses: a, b, c. List of people who think Dani is really strange: a, b, c. There, I covered about half the story for you in a paragraph, without all the nauseating pedantic flourishes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:17 PM 

And yes, I'm now officially in my tilting at windmills phase.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:18 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I'm idly curious how you tell too. Do you suppose I am?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:26 PM 

Oh man, man. It's so totally obv.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:52 PM 
Spider Slayer

I'd be a parent if I could impregnate over the internet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:
It constantly lists little things, like combing hair or singing to the child, that parents love to think makes them special to their children, as if doing those tiny things entitles them to lavish praise.

The little things do make parents special to their children. Sorry you can't see that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:24 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I think that his point was that parents do these small, largely superficial things and expect to be greatly lauded for it, but then they neglect other, possibly more important areas of raising their children.

Rather like the saying about being "Penny-wise and pound-foolish."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Like sticking your son in the laundry room with a walkie talkie.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:16 AM 
Spider Slayer

At least they got poor Dani away from the toy maggots that infest toys for all the delicious decayed flesh you find on dolls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Quote:
Michelle says she was a student at the University of Tampa when she met a man named Bernie at a bar.

Granted, some pretty incredibly stupid people do manage to make into and through college, but I have a hard time believing mom could be so socially retarded she can't keep her home vermin-free if she got in to a state university. My personal inclination is to agree that's she Lazy Drama.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:10 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!

I didn't read the whole thread. I didn't even get far into Michelle's portion of the article. There are some details that stuck out for me though.

The negligent mother has an IQ of 77 and was raising the girl on her own. I think she must have hoped her retarded sons would play the father role since her husband had died, assuming she gave it that much thought. I'd guess that the father played a large role in raising the sons considering the contrast between their development and the daughters.

What's up with Diane and Bernie's son William sleeping on a daybed in the laundry room? Everyone in that family is obviously very nice and I guess the boy isn't complaining about it but nobody could help but feel some kind of resentment losing their room like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:12 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Rae - What I'd like to know is why they're adopting another child when they haven't planned far enough ahead for a room for said child. But hey, that sort of hard-hitting question isn't appropriate for a feel-good glurge article written by the journalistic equivalent of Danielle Steele.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:17 PM 

Haha, good point.

Offline Profile